High voltage?

Go to solution Solved by Neftex,

i think it looks good, you can try stress testing, if its not stable say in prime95, you can try to bump the voltage a little

one thing to note with manual voltage is that it doesnt react on idle/load, i dont know if thats a big deal for you

4 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

If the temperatures are fine and im running fine? why did i come here to ask about my voltages?

What temperatures are you getting using AIDA 64? Just download the trial, go to the Benchmark menu and use the stress test option. Run it on CPU and FPU. Prime95 is not the best tool to use anymore, it is very outdated and is not designed for modern CPUs, it puts a very strange load on modern processors that gives weird temperatures.

Edited by Husky
typing error

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

you know what? if youre not going to OC, id just set manual 1.2V

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

14 minutes ago, Husky said:

Interesting, and it still is around 1.3V in the UEFI BIOS? If so, then you might just not have the best luck when it comes to CPU binning.

1.38V is too much to just be bad luck IMO. Something else must be happening here.

I have the 6700k as well and these are my voltages while running AIDA64 benchmark to give us a reference point to work off of. If he's running stock clock speeds he should be around the 1.16V mark.

Spoiler

image.png.f8a453fe5f0e11d1b6f56f4ea79c1d7f.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

33 minutes ago, Spotty said:

1.38V is too much to just be bad luck IMO. Something else must be happening here.

I have the 6700k as well and these are my voltages while running AIDA64 benchmark to give us a reference point to work off of. If he's running stock clock speeds he should be around the 1.16V mark.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f8a453fe5f0e11d1b6f56f4ea79c1d7f.png

I downloaded aida64 the trial version and did stress test it for 5 minutes and got 77c-91c not always 91c but for brief 2 sec its there.

@charbel1011 did you read my posts?

its the motherboard auto voltage that sets it higher than it should

if you intend to leave the cpu at stock clocks, you can set the voltage manually to 1.2V and it should work (if it doesnt work then you should RMA the cpu/mobo as it doesnt work according to specs)

obviously manually lowering the voltage will affect temperature in a positive way

2 minutes ago, Neftex said:

@charbel1011 did you read my posts?

its the motherboard auto voltage that sets it higher than it should

if you intend to leave the cpu at stock clocks, you can set the voltage manually to 1.2V and it should work (if it doesnt work then you should RMA the cpu/mobo as it doesnt work according to specs)

obviously manually lowering the voltage will affect temperature in a positive way

can i set the voltage to 1.2v while running xmp?

yes it should work, set vcore to 1.2

4 minutes ago, Neftex said:

yes it should work, set vcore to 1.2

how can i do that? i have the asus z170a cant figure it out.

1 hour ago, charbel1011 said:

i turned off xmp is this even normal? i dont even know

image.jpg

on this screen, cant you just click the top one and change from auto to manual?

5 minutes ago, Neftex said:

on this screen, cant you just click the top one and change from auto to manual?

yes i did and when i set it to 1.2 it gives it to me as 1.200 is this correct?

image.jpg

yea

1 minute ago, Neftex said:

yea

okay i did that. and my windows booted just fine. and my voltages are like that but stable and not wavering at all. and my cpu temp is like not wavering at all now thays soo weird.

image.jpg

Just now, charbel1011 said:

okay i did that. and my windows booted just fine. and my voltages are like that but stable and not wavering at all. and my cpu temp is like not wavering at all now thays soo weird.

image.jpg

wait hold on, i just noticed theres not vcore displayed but vid

can you look through hwinfo settings if you can find how to display vcore?

2 minutes ago, Neftex said:

wait hold on, i just noticed theres not vcore displayed but vid

can you look through hwinfo settings if you can find how to display vcore?

you're right thank you for noticing.  thats the v core after i set it to 1.200 like u told me.

image.jpg

i think it looks good, you can try stress testing, if its not stable say in prime95, you can try to bump the voltage a little

one thing to note with manual voltage is that it doesnt react on idle/load, i dont know if thats a big deal for you

11 minutes ago, Neftex said:

may u explain what u mean by it doesnt react on idle load?

35 minutes ago, Neftex said:

I wanna thank you a lot for being the best person to help me with my problem.  after i tried prime 95 for 15 minutes my temps are 70c max. before 95c. and water temps are 30c max before 40c. my temps are not jumping around anymore like crazy they are stable and low. ! thank you sir for real.

youre welcome, glad i could help

to further explain, theres a thing called "c states", it basically underclocks the cpu when its not used. with auto/adaptive voltage it can also lower the voltage to save power but with manual it stays as you set it even on the lower clock

12 minutes ago, Neftex said:

youre welcome, glad i could help

to further explain, theres a thing called "c states", it basically underclocks the cpu when its not used. with auto/adaptive voltage it can also lower the voltage to save power but with manual it stays as you set it even on the lower clock

It doesn't matter with me the save power thing. I can't believe iv been dealing with this problem since like 4 months ago believe it or not tried every single solution didn't work because i didn't have the guts to lower the v core afraid of breaking something because it's a new build. my temps were all over the place and i always wonder why i don't have a fixed temp like the other. like for example. if im playing a game it goes from 55c-60c-66c-72c and then it goes back to 55c. like i felt something wrong. i didn't know it was my cpu voltage.