HELP!!! Problems about network switch

Go to solution Solved by .Ocean,

What everyone has said so far is correct, an ISP will only give a consumer household one IP and that is assigned to your router. Buying a managed switch won't help you in this regard. You was to connect your unmanaged switch to the router then connect all the devices that need internet to your switch.

If you need to open ports for the server you open them on your router.

Your ISP will most likely also give you a dynamic IP (they can change it whenever they want, and it usually changes when your router restarts) this obviously ruins the whole point of a server so you are going to need a dynamic IP service which will forward a static IP for you. I personally use and really like Dynu but there are 10s of other services out there.

Happy serving!

I am planning to start up a really very small server at home which is just a nano-itx board and some hard disks.

The problems I am facing is:

1. Can I just connect the "server" to an unmanaged switch which cannot be configured or I need a manageable switch and port forward my server?

2. My ISP gives me dynamic IP, can I host VPN server, mail server, etc?

3. If I really need a manageable switch, please suggest some which are not expensive and space saving (I don't need those with 24 ports, just 4 to 8 is enough).

Thanks a lot for reading this, please help me!!!

You do not need a managed switch. You port-forward on the router itself, not the switch.

You can host but you'll need to forward the proper ports to the internal IP of the server.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You do not need a managed switch. You port-forward on the router itself, not the switch.

You can host but you'll need to forward the proper ports to the internal IP of the server.

Well... This is my idea

15224974531957488560559185189150.jpg

2 minutes ago, perry_mok said:

Well... See the image...

-snip-

That won't work. You'll need to swap the switch and router and then connect the server to the switch.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

That won't work. You'll need to swap the switch and router and then connect the server to the switch.

So, if I follow my idea, I need a managed switch?

No, If you're going to need VLANs then get it. If not, you wont need it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

No, you cannot put a switch between the router and ISP connection.

The ISP will give you one IP address and that will be the first device that asks for it, then the rest of your network will not have connectivity.

You need to go ISP > Router > Switch > Everything else.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What everyone has said so far is correct, an ISP will only give a consumer household one IP and that is assigned to your router. Buying a managed switch won't help you in this regard. You was to connect your unmanaged switch to the router then connect all the devices that need internet to your switch.

If you need to open ports for the server you open them on your router.

Your ISP will most likely also give you a dynamic IP (they can change it whenever they want, and it usually changes when your router restarts) this obviously ruins the whole point of a server so you are going to need a dynamic IP service which will forward a static IP for you. I personally use and really like Dynu but there are 10s of other services out there.

Happy serving!