Creating a little server setup

Oli1549
Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, you can just have a box with a couple hard drives and you'll point the cameras to that server via FTP or another method.

You also buy something like a NVR (network video recorder) or you can see if the camera supports regular FTP and then just use FTP to point to whatever box you want to store the footage.

Sounds all very complicated, Possible to break it down just a little.

with a PoE Switch, 

lets say 2 IP cameras,

and a current file server.

I would need nothing else but connect the cameras and PoE switch and cables?

just not sure how id "setup" for the camera to "send" the footage to a certain place?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea your right, 30 in is good enough for almost anything. Just get the one with the square holes so you can put rails in easily.

Where would you look to buy a case that long? im seeing that once you go that deep they become extremely long too, and extremely expensive, trying to do it on a budget and not be completely massive for what im doing!

Just now, Oli1549 said:

Sounds all very complicated, Possible to break it down just a little.

with a PoE Switch, 

lets say 2 IP cameras,

and a current file server.

I would need nothing else but connect the cameras and PoE switch and cables?

just not sure how id "setup" for the camera to "send" the footage to a certain place?

Correct, it depends on the camera but usually they have settings for footage recording. You would configure an FTP server or similar service on the server and then in the camera point to the server IP and you'd be good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Oli1549 said:

Where would you look to buy a case that long? im seeing that once you go that deep they become extremely long too, and extremely expensive, trying to do it on a budget and not be completely massive for what im doing!

Look for used racks, you can find lots of them very cheap used. 

Just now, Lurick said:

Correct, it depends on the camera but usually they have settings for footage recording. You would configure an FTP server or similar service on the server and then in the camera point to the server IP and you'd be good.

is there no software that can manage this for us? im just wondering how it could have a 30 day or whatever roll, so it deletes footage 30 days old....?

Just now, Oli1549 said:

is there no software that can manage this for us? im just wondering how it could have a 30 day or whatever roll, so it deletes footage 30 days old....?

There is lots of camera software. Do you want free or paid. Zoneminder is working fine for me.

Just now, Oli1549 said:

There are probably tons out there, @Electronics Wizardy suggested zoneminder.

It will come down to if you want free, paid, and Linux or Windows based :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

There is lots of camera software. Do you want free or paid. Zoneminder is working fine for me.

Free or fairly reasonable cheap, trying to keep on a budget, for the extra features and simplicity spending a little isnt a bad idea in my idea.

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

There are probably tons out there, @Electronics Wizardy suggested zoneminder.

It will come down to if you want free, paid, and Linux or Windows based :)

Yeah brilliant, thanks alot for the help, my problem at the moment is how you would go about connecting the PoE switch to the computer with software and how it talks and does it clever stuff? 

how to create a FTP to send it across or whatever...

Just now, Oli1549 said:

Yeah brilliant, thanks alot for the help, my problem at the moment is how you would go about connecting the PoE switch to the computer with software and how it talks and does it clever stuff? 

how to create a FTP to send it across or whatever...

Normally you just plug the camers in like any other network device. 

Yout then punch the ip on the ip camera into the dvr software and you can manage and view it all on a web page.

You don't make a ftp, just follow the install instruction of what ever software your using.

Normally you just plug the camers in like any other network device. 

Yout then punch the ip on the ip camera into the dvr software and you can manage and view it all on a web page.

You don't make a ftp, just follow the install instruction of what ever software your using.

ah right easier than i thought. Zoneminder will allow me to view the cameras outside of my network without any security problems?

and, my current server is running unraid, for file system and plex server, what should i get to simply run a CCTV "Server/CCTV Files".

Just now, Oli1549 said:

ah right easier than i thought. Zoneminder will allow me to view the cameras outside of my network without any security problems?

and, my current server is running unraid, for file system and plex server, what should i get to simply run a CCTV "Server/CCTV Files".

You can open a port for the website, can't say how secure, but should be fine, use a vpn if you want it to be more secure.

For unraid, just use a docker image.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can open a port for the website, can't say how secure, but should be fine, use a vpn if you want it to be more secure.

For unraid, just use a docker image.

When you say use a VPN, on the mobile device i am accessing the server from i pressume.

Can i ask what you use/what is best for things like that, is unraid a good idea/should i buy it?

2 minutes ago, Oli1549 said:

When you say use a VPN, on the mobile device i am accessing the server from i pressume.

Can i ask what you use/what is best for things like that, is unraid a good idea/should i buy it?

what server are you running? I personally use proxmox as its better for managing vms. How much storage do you want?

what server are you running? I personally use proxmox as its better for managing vms. How much storage do you want?

Im literally runnning a old PC at the moment..

Im fairly inexperienced on what to do with the server side, along with most of the other stuff...!

as for storage, i have a 1TB drive in there now that is full, but will expand to maybe 4TB.

Just now, Oli1549 said:

Im literally runnning a old PC at the moment..

Im fairly inexperienced on what to do with the server side, along with most of the other stuff...!

as for storage, i have a 1TB drive in there now that is full, but will expand to maybe 4TB.

Id go unraid then. Its easy to use and easy to expand.

Id go unraid then. Its easy to use and easy to expand.

Not sure if you know,

But how would i create a docker for the software for Zoneminder.

Just now, Oli1549 said:

Not sure if you know,

But how would i create a docker for the software for Zoneminder.

Its pretty easy once you have one, Basically just click make, and its setup and running.

Its pretty easy once you have one, Basically just click make, and its setup and running.

ah ok, once i get everything bought and connected etc will probably be when im asking all the questions!

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also on another side note, My current 1TB drive is some old unknown make. i believe it is idea all the drives ina  server on unraid should be the same, if so. should i buy 2 identical drives and start unraid from fresh and no data present... currently when i make a file share it gives the share/file the whole allowance of the drives combined and i have not yet found a option to limit the size the share can be... is this a option?

10 minutes ago, Oli1549 said:

Also on another side note, My current 1TB drive is some old unknown make. i believe it is idea all the drives ina  server on unraid should be the same, if so. should i buy 2 identical drives and start unraid from fresh and no data present... currently when i make a file share it gives the share/file the whole allowance of the drives combined and i have not yet found a option to limit the size the share can be... is this a option?

unraid is designed for mixed drives. You can add whatever drives you want and it will make your array bigger.

Let the share have full access, I don't see a rason not to.

On 31/03/2018 at 12:49 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

unraid is designed for mixed drives. You can add whatever drives you want and it will make your array bigger.

Let the share have full access, I don't see a rason not to.

Going back to the bit about Cabinets and sizes, all cabinets over 60cm are well overpriced even on ebay...

Would 45cm-60cm be ok depth for a home server unit? someone said something about 30inches i just dont know whyd id need that?

thanks,

Oli

Just now, Oli1549 said:

Going back to the bit about Cabinets and sizes, all cabinets over 60cm are well overpriced even on ebay...

Would 45cm-60cm be ok depth for a home server unit? someone said something about 30inches i just dont know whyd id need that?

thanks,

Oli

What server do you want to put in?

Something like this will work well, idk about shipping and prices in your area.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Adjustable-Levelers-Management-4POSTRACK12U/dp/B00P1RJ9LS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=41oNhwTrzyL&dpPl=1&keywords=startech 12u rack&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&qid=1485650737&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

A server like a r710 needs about 30 in of depth, so aim for that.

Also make sure it has the square mounts not the screw holes.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What server do you want to put in?

Something like this will work well, idk about shipping and prices in your area.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Adjustable-Levelers-Management-4POSTRACK12U/dp/B00P1RJ9LS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=41oNhwTrzyL&dpPl=1&keywords=startech 12u rack&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&qid=1485650737&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

A server like a r710 needs about 30 in of depth, so aim for that.

Also make sure it has the square mounts not the screw holes.

where would you buy a server like r710 from? and how much are you looking at?