frequency difference to make noticeable difference in a CPU?

hello everyone,

how much frequency difference does a CPU need to make it faster/noticeable than one another?

like for example how much of a "real world" difference does a 300MHz difference make in a processor ?

please elaborate in your answers.

thank you all   

depends on a lot of things but general a higher base clock will also yield better OC but that depends on the CPU in question (ie K cpus are better for OC than standard CPUs)

if you could show the two cpus in question it'd be an easier yes or no

It depends on what you're doing. If the program or game you're using scales perfectly with higher cpu clock speed, a 10% increase should result in a 10% increase in performance provided there isn't bottleneck elsewhere. In some situations, the bump in clock speed may make the difference between an unplayable or passable experience.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I mostly noticed it while streaming or editing video. In gaming it depends on what you upgrade from. For clocks I didn't notice the ca. 15% oc that I have now. But it also could be that I just got too used to it

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

2 hours ago, General Winter said:

depends on a lot of things but general a higher base clock will also yield better OC but that depends on the CPU in question (ie K cpus are better for OC than standard CPUs)

if you could show the two cpus in question it'd be an easier yes or no

iam comparing the intel core2quad Q9100 vs core2extreme QX9300. i will never overclock any of them 

1 hour ago, thelordofwarr said:

I mostly noticed it while streaming or editing video. In gaming it depends on what you upgrade from. For clocks I didn't notice the ca. 15% oc that I have now. But it also could be that I just got too used to it

i will be using the laptop for heavy general multitasking and workstation - no gaming  

1 hour ago, OCD-FREAK said:

iam comparing the intel core2quad Q9100 vs core2extreme QX9300. i will never overclock any of them 

ignoring the OC speeds which i think shouldn't be on this list, the qx is noticeably better in other parameters as well such as cache speed and size and said cpu is also unlocked which makes easier to OC (if you want to) so i would get the qx if i had to chose between these two unless its a steep price difference

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9300-vs-Intel-Core2-QX9300

12 minutes ago, General Winter said:

ignoring the OC speeds which i think shouldn't be on this list, the qx is noticeably better in other parameters as well such as cache speed and size and said cpu is also unlocked which makes easier to OC (if you want to) so i would get the qx if i had to chose between these two unless its a steep price difference

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9300-vs-Intel-Core2-QX9300

The q9100 is 15$ and the qx9300 is 45$ the only difference between them is 270Mhz which is that of the extreme. I will not overclock any of them 

300 MHz increase on a 300 MHz cpu would be a noticeable improvement, but 300 MHz on a 4.7 GHz cpu not so much :)

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

27 minutes ago, Tam3n said:

300 MHz increase on a 300 MHz cpu would be a noticeable improvement, but 300 MHz on a 4.7 GHz cpu not so much :)

we are talking about core2quad Q9100 vs core2extreme QX9300. the only difference between does two quads is that the extreme is just 300MHz more than the Q9100.... so what you think ?

28 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

we are talking about core2quad Q9100 vs core2extreme QX9300. the only difference between does two quads is that the extreme is just 300MHz more than the Q9100.... so what you think ?

Sorry, I answered a bit hastily. I'm not familar with these cpus, but it seems to me that the main difference is that the QX model can be overclocked. I would say there is no practical difference between them...

Here's a pretty good performance comparison article I saw: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparative-Review-of-the-Intel-Core-2-Quad-Notebook-CPUs.13426.0.html

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

7 hours ago, OCD-FREAK said:

hello everyone,

how much frequency difference does a CPU need to make it faster/noticeable than one another?

like for example how much of a "real world" difference does a 300MHz difference make in a processor ?

please elaborate in your answers.

thank you all   

That answer is very subjective and in most cases probably even a placebo, i mean if i had to make a guess i'd say 300mhz or more might improve the snappiness of a system. Back in the day 25mhz made all the difference lol