120GB vs 250GB SSD?

Trail Mixorz

I want an ssd in my system because my computer is slow when booting and my second hard drive is really loud and I want to get rid of it. I'm going to have windows 7 home premium on the drive and only a few games such as Battlefield 4, Skyrim+Mods, CS:GO, CS:S, and maybe 1 or 2 more. I was thinking 120GB at first, but then I thought, Is it true that ssds perform better with less capacity? Will I be better off going 250GB to be safe or is it a waste of money for my needs? And I've seen pretty good prices for ssds around now, so how much could I get a nice 120GB for and how much could I get a nice 250GB for?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

For OS and games get 250gb, but i still wouldn't put games on a SSD, maybe 1 at most

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

For OS and games get 250gb, but i still wouldn't put games on a SSD, maybe 1 at most

Why wouldn't you put games on it?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

you will deff need 250gb if not more for all that bf4 its self is like 40gb or something plus your os and skyrim with mods get a 250gb

Why wouldn't you put games on it?

It's pointless 

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

It really depends on personal preference, personally I would rather go with a slower 250 GB ssd than a faster 120 because I like to keep everything on one drive.

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

you will deff need 250gb if not more for all that bf4 its self is like 40gb or something plus your os and skyrim with mods get a 250gb

Thats what I was thinking. I have a bunch of mods, and bf4 premium so all the expansions.

It's pointless 

Not really, its pretty much exactly what an ssd is for, reduced load times.

It really depends on personal preference, personally I would rather go with a slower 250 GB ssd than a faster 120 because I like to keep everything on one drive.

Same here I guess, because anything is an upgrade from an hdd, and how much slower could an ssd be compared to a faster one

I'd recommend a 250GB ssd if you're throwing BF4 onto it. How much it costs depends on where you're shopping/located. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

SSD write performance can suffer as the drive fills because the unit has to do a little more work. In real life general computing and gaming environments one is not likely to notice the difference. Read performance should be constant.

Go with the largest SSD your budget will allow.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I have 250 and would def recommend choosing that over 120, I do only have BF4 on my SSD though, all other games have gone to Seagate, maybe I should have put Total War on SSD, but apart from that none of the other loading times bother me.

I have read somewhere you wanna only fill your SSD up to about 80%. . . I don't plan to go above 60% tbh, but with 120, after OS you'll only have about 100GB left (plus for some reason all drives show less GB than stated, my WD 750 only displays 500 odd)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

I have BF4, and DIablo 3 on my 250gb SSD. The load times in BF4 are shockingly faster. Diablo 3 IMO was made for SSD speeds. It gets rid of the stutter you get when joining a new game completely.

I'm also Dual booting W7/8. That's something you just cant do with a 120gb.

i5 2500k@4.2GHZ       / Hyper 212 Evo     / GTX 970 (EVGA) 1410Mhz core     / GTX 970 (EVGA) 1410Mhz core      / ASROCK z77 extreme 4 / Seasonic X series 1050w     / Azza Spartan case       / 2x4GB Kingston 1600mhz      / Toshiba Crucial 256 SSD     / Hitachi 3tb storage drive    / Hitachi 1tb storage drive / WD My Passport 1tb storage drive       / Corsair K90 Keyboard      / Corsair M65 FPS mouse      / Asus vw246h 24" monitor       / Asus vs247h-p 23" monitor.

I have 250 and would def recommend choosing that over 120, I do only have BF4 on my SSD though, all other games have gone to Seagate, maybe I should have put Total War on SSD, but apart from that none of the other loading times bother me.

I have read somewhere you wanna only fill your SSD up to about 80%. . . I don't plan to go above 60% tbh, but with 120, after OS you'll only have about 100GB left (plus for some reason all drives show less GB than stated, my WD 750 only displays 500 odd)

Less than that. Winders is pretty bloated and for a 120GB drive, you're getting 109GB formatted. So under 100GB after OS + drivers are installed. I wish current prices existed when I built this system. The price of a 120GB back then was the price of a mid-range graphics card.