Hi

I was told that if i wanted to buy a memory i need to sync it with the Chip set Speed that i have.

For example if my Chip set is 3.2 Ghz I was told to get a a ram With even number at the end (1600mhz or 1800Mhz  or 3200mhz or 4000mhz)

because it would sync or have better compatibility.

In simple term its like 4 people going through 4 doors. 

On the other hand if i was to get a RAM that had odd number at the end Like DDR4-2133Mhz

it would not be advisable b/c it may result some delay or even lost of the data or it would create a bottle neck for data. 

In simple term its like 4 people going through 3 doors. 

So I was told that Chip set with 3.7 Ghz would sync with the DDR4 - 2133Mhz RAM better since they both have odd numbers at the end.

In simple term its like fitting 3 people in to 3 doors. Each would arrive at the same time through the door.

I was told that it had to do something with the chip set multiplier. Which i am not sure what they meant????

I would like to know how true is this?

Can you give a better analogy to explain what i was being told.  

no you don't need to worry about that. if what you need is ddr4 any ddr4 will work

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

no you don't need to worry about that. if what you need is ddr4 any ddr4 will work

Does that mean that information is false?

I just want to know for personal knowledge if what they say is true.

Even though it does not make any difference. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Yapp said:

Does that mean that information is false?

I just want to know for personal knowledge if what they say is true.

Even though it does not make any difference. 

well the ram will run all at the same speed. so if you're adding to an existing setup you will want to match what you currently have for best results. but the CPU doesn't go into that equation.

the way it's linked to the CPU is the base clock. but that then gets multiplied to be the actual running speed.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

12 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

well the ram will run all at the same speed. so if you're adding to an existing setup you will want to match what you currently have for best results. but the CPU doesn't go into that equation.

the way it's linked to the CPU is the base clock. but that then gets multiplied to be the actual running speed.

"so if you're adding to an existing setup you will want to match what you currently have for best results" <-----Please elaborate a bit on what do you mean by this?

I understand the base clock which is used to overclock. So if i OC the Chipset from 3.4 to 4.3ghz then will it effect the 'sync effectiveness'?

Sorry for the noob question. i am still learning. 

Maybe u can send me a link that will explain everything or a youtube link

the base clock is 100MHz unless changed. when you pick different speed ram it has to default to the slower one to work because they all have to be the same speed so that's where the "matching" is relevant. but it's not linked to CPU.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

4 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

the base clock is 100MHz unless changed. when you pick different speed ram it has to default to the slower one to work because they all have to be the same speed so that's where the "matching" is relevant. but it's not linked to CPU.

Thanks Man

23 minutes ago, Mark Yapp said:

"so if you're adding to an existing setup you will want to match what you currently have for best results" <-----Please elaborate a bit on what do you mean by this?

I understand the base clock which is used to overclock. So if i OC the Chipset from 3.4 to 4.3ghz then will it effect the 'sync effectiveness'?

Sorry for the noob question. i am still learning. 

Maybe u can send me a link that will explain everything or a youtube link

The base clock is not usually used for overclocking. Most of the time with CPU overclocking, you change the multiplier. Only rarely do you ever touch the base clock(trying to get the most overclocking potential or trying to overclock a CPU with a locked multiplier). Your whole idea of "syncing" memory and CPU speeds is not really something you need to be concerned about, and even if it's an issue(it's not), I doubt you would notice anything as a user and anything measurable would be next to nothing.

As far as the comment you quoted, it deals with memory compatibility. Try to find something that matches what you have in order to have maximum compatibility and the highest chance of success.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This used to make sense when BCLK was different for different CPU models.  That was over 10 years ago though.