80 Dollar Wifi Shootout

XeroPawn

2014- TP-Link AC1900 (C9)

2014- Netgear R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 (R6700)

2017- Motorola AC1700 MR1700

All $80 USD after clipped coupons on Amazon. (Not sure I'd resell the bundled modem that comes with the Nighthawk.)

I game on *tsk tsk* PS4, I know I'm in the wrong chat for that, but I'm a daily LTT watcher too.  (Mainly play Overwatch, been getting pinging issues randomly with current setup.)

Will be upgrading to a 4K TV fairly soon. (For future media consumption, hurry Game of Thrones.)

What's my best bet on those routers for a couple year's worth of usability? (Range might be my limiting factor, and I know, get the F- off of Wifi, but it's in the front room, and the lady has specs as far as Cats laying across the house.)

I appreciate all your help!

If I had to pick of the 3 I would go with the Netgear Nighthawk. The AC1700 vs 1750 vs 1900 is mostly meaningless marketing.

As Linus says, I'd go on a trusted website and read the reviews before purchasing.

The thing is, each of these have some scathing reviews, along with the hunky dory 5 stars.

The 3 year difference also plays into my trouble on a decision.  The marketing and specs on the Motorola seem pretty lacking.  Just popped up as an option a couple days ago as well.

9 minutes ago, XeroPawn said:

As Linus says, I'd go on a trusted website and read the reviews before purchasing.

The thing is, each of these have some scathing reviews, along with the hunky dory 5 stars.

The 3 year difference also plays into my trouble on a decision.  The marketing and specs on the Motorola seem pretty lacking.  Just popped up as an option a couple days ago as well.

The Motorola Name is owned by a company called Zoom. I dont have any experience with the. Ive setup a TP Link archer C7 once upon a time, it was easy it worked well, but the Firmware was pretty low end. Netgear is one of the top brands I see suggested here, them and ASUS. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Am I a Dogg if I add this to the shootout?

ASUS RT-ACRH17 Concurrent Dual Band AC1700 

That Zoom marketing was making me hold the phone for a second for sure.  "Zoom..."  That was the sound of that company's shelf-life going by.

Wondering how they licensed the Motorola name.  

Just now, XeroPawn said:

That Zoom marketing was making me hold the phone for a second for sure.  "Zoom..."  That was the sound of that company's shelf-life going by.

Wondering how they licensed the Motorola name.  

They bought it from Arris. Arris owns the Motorola modem business, they just dont use the name. Because Arris is a well established modem manufacture. This all started when Google bought Motorola back in the day and sold the modem business to Arris and the phone business to Lenovo. 

Dang insider!  Appreciate it! 

If you were buying the router for someone you liked, would you grab them the Netgear or the ASUS?

I know it's the Seagate/WD Ford/Chevy difference.

Splitting hairs here, but hell, this is the stuff I occupy my free time with.  Took me 1 year to buy my headphones, and 3 months to buy my headset. (Bose QC35ii, Astro A10)  I just don't want to feel like a fool when I plug it in, and see all of the better options I didn't get for 10 bucks more.

Just now, XeroPawn said:

Dang insider!  Appreciate it! 

If you were buying the router for someone you liked, would you grab them the Netgear or the ASUS?

I know it's the Seagate/WD Ford/Chevy difference.

Splitting hairs here, but hell, this is the stuff I occupy my free time with.  Took me 1 year to buy my headphones, and 3 months to buy my headset. (Bose QC35ii, Astro A10)  I just don't want to feel like a fool when I plug it in, and see all of the better options I didn't get for 10 bucks more.

Last router I bought was from Synology. LOL. Though its out of your budget as it cost me like $199. Check out https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/, they have done all the testing and have all the numbers. Id compare Asus and Netgear routers in your price range. Go with the one that has the features you want. Just make sure its AC and you should be fine. 

Is there any reason the Asus wouldn't be VPN compatible?  I'm leaning the ASUS way right now, but I do need VPN access for work. 

I notice the Netgear says that was one of their selling points back in 2014, the 2017 Asus, I'm hoping that just isn't something that needs to be listed any longer with current tech.

You have ideas on that?  Again, the ASUS is:

Plus, how do you give a thumbs up for a member on here?  Newb member myself obviously, but it's as if I've been hearing enough about the forum over the past few years.

15 minutes ago, XeroPawn said:

Is there any reason the Asus wouldn't be VPN compatible?  I'm leaning the ASUS way right now, but I do need VPN access for work. 

I notice the Netgear says that was one of their selling points back in 2014, the 2017 Asus, I'm hoping that just isn't something that needs to be listed any longer with current tech.

You have ideas on that?  Again, the ASUS is:

Plus, how do you give a thumbs up for a member on here?  Newb member myself obviously, but it's as if I've been hearing enough about the forum over the past few years.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-ACRH17/E13756_RT_ACRH17_manual.pdf Page 62. 

The heart Icon on the bottom right of the post. Gives you an agree, Informative and funny options.