Why do mobile websites differ???

Why can;t they just have 1 site for desktop/mobile... All that needs to happen is the phone.tablet needs to shrink it down to fit the screen...

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Because some things are easy to do with fingers but not with a mouse, and vice versa???

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

10 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

Why can;t they just have 1 site for desktop/mobile... All that needs to happen is the phone.tablet needs to shrink it down to fit the screen...

Because it would shrink it down to such tiny text and elements that it would present a slew of UX problems such as:

• Can't read the text
  • Can't see what the image is
  • Can't select anything because fingers are too fat for precision navigation this would require.

Mobile versus Connected Bandwidth can be an additional reason.   Some Mobile apps do not require your phone to have an internet connection to function.  When you are connected, apps can update their content as well as their features.

12 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

If your are interested in websites that can scale, check out Bootstrap.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrap_(front-end_framework)

On the offchance I misinterpreted @Edward78, the technology already exist to make it so mobile and desktops can access the same resources and it works for both. It's called Responsive Design

EDIT: I totally forgot when I wrote this but these forums implement responsive design.

Often, there are multiple different versions of a website, with usually the same website. This is to optimize the user experience depending on the device you are one. 

Example:

If you go on newegg on a laptop, the logo is at the top with the search bar to the right,

On mobile, it is under to make it fit

Im pretty sure with a browser you can click on "request desktop version". It worked on my kindle.

They do make only 1 page for all devices.

Unlike before, People nowadays usually don't make multiple versions of a website.

Before modern smartphone, a mobile page usually a downgraded version of the real site.

This is to accomodate the very small resolutions and reduce bandwith by stripping bigger elements.

Now, with one codebase a page can automatically adapt to the width of the viewport.

This technique called "responsive design".

No need to strip big elements because internet speed is more than enough.

Also processing power of a mobile phone is considered good enough to display a full web.

The only challenge now is to fix the format of buttons and fonts so it could be viewed clearly on a smaller screen.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w