Dual L5640 for a new gaming rig?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask what you would think about a dual Xeon L5640 setup for a gaming rig.

Given the ridiculous prices of these CPUs on AliExpress (21€ each) and the availability of decent dual socket motherboards on the market (used of course) for about 120-140€, I thought this would make for a very impressive 12 cores - 24 threads setup with quite decent clock speeds (but not as high as recent CPUs unfortunately).

Do you think this would be a good value for money? 180€ for a mobo + a 24 threads setup makes my mind go boom.

For a gaming rig, eh. Honestly, doesn't make much sense to go for a dual for a gaming rig, 6c/12t should be plenty. Keep in mind you will have to OC this CPU as much as possible to make it any good for gaming --- can you even overclock on a dual LGA 1366 mobo? I imagine on most of them, especially the cheaper ones - not. And if you can, a dual OC 12c Xeon setup is gonna eat sooo much power I imagine. 

Alternatively, if it matters to make it cheap, you could even go with a single LGA1156 Xeon x3440 (4c/8t), of course also overclocked as much as you can. The bonus is that mobos for that are so much cheaper, you can get a decent mobo+cpu for like 80€ total. So it'll be good for you to give it a good thought what do you need all those cores and threads for.

For a budget system something like a g4560 will be faster almost all the time. The extra cores really won' thelp you here, and the L sku's are low clocked. Also some games don't like the dual numa nodes.

If all you're doing is gaming, it's not the best option. But if the prices are decent and you can't find any other good deal (like even a Quad Core chip as old as like an i5 2500k or Ryzen 3 would be better) then I would consider it. Although you can't overclock dual socket motherboards. You'd probably be better off with a higher end Xeon chip (like a E5-2670 comes to mind) that's at a decent price and a better clock speed, then just get one of those and a X79 or another single slot motherboard that supports overclocking. (if you wanted to go with that route)

Just get a used i5 2nd gen+ chip or something that's better than that chip at a decent price, honesty a 2.3GHz clock speed is pretty terrible.

Alright then, I'll give up on that idea.

It would have been neat though! :D 

There are few cases where x58 xeons are still worth it nowadays.

a) You already have an x58 board
b) you found a good deal on an x58 board (<100$) (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA)
c) You really like tinkering with your PC (this is me, I find overclocking this platform is lots of fun)
d) You need lots of multi core performance for as cheap as possible. 

If none of these apply, a used 2600k+board+some RAM can usually be found for about 200$ and can achieve about 80% of the multi core performance and higher single core performance then x58 xeons at a usually lower price. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W