Automatically use gtx 1060 6gb when plugged in? (Lenovo Legion Y720)

Go to solution Solved by pcguy0000,

What I ended up doing:

1. Installing GeForce Experience

This allows me to automatically switch to lower settings on games when on battery (and high while plugged in)

2. Setting the global default to "High Performance NVIDIA Proccesor"

I did this through the NVIDIA control panel.

3. Customized the programs I use with the NVIDIA card, and the integrated one.

I made it so my chrome would run off my intel, my CS:GO off of my gtx 1060, so on so forth.

Im moving to my laptop as a daily driver.

Hello.

I recently bought a lenovo legion y720, to replace my pc.

Here are the specs, if you are interested (unrelated)

Intel Core i7 7700HQ

GTX 1060 6GB (Intel HD 630 too)

1TB HDD

512GB SSD

60w battery

Old PC (unrelated)

Intel Core i5 4440

GTX 1060 3GB (Intel HD 4600 too)

2TB HDD

450w PSU

I am planning to use my laptop as my daily driver from now, so that I have the portability and everything and use my old pc for other stuff. The issue I have, is that everything I play a game, I have to add it to the NVIDIA panel to make it run on my 1060, which is extremely boring.

I dont mind if it uses the 1060 for everything, or the integrated graphics for google chrome and 1060 for game.

Some possible solutions

- Game detection from an nvidia program i dont know about

- When plugged into power it uses the 1060 (how.....)

Please help! 

doesn't geforce experience find your games automatically?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

its not installed. only the default control panel is 

UPDATE:

im installing it

UPDATE:

Its installed. On games, it says "unable to retrieve settings. Try again later."

I haven't had to do this a while, but in the Nvidia Control Panel should be an option for setting the default. Something like nvidia control panel> go to manage 3D settings> click global settings> set preferred graphics proccessor to nvidia

Is there a way to make it switch to the gtx 1060 when plugged in (for everything) and integrated graphics for everything when on battery?

1 minute ago, pcguy0000 said:

Is there a way to make it switch to the gtx 1060 when plugged in (for everything) and integrated graphics for everything when on battery?

No, you would need to switch the global settings everytime you go on battery. Also if you want Nvidia to try and optimize your game settings for you, you could download GeForce Experience.

one more question - would you recomend I stay with my pc or move to my laptop (fully)? 

for reference: both of them have 16gb ram, laptop has higher clock speed.

Just now, pcguy0000 said:

There is and it requires setting up a custom Windows power profile from what I remember.  I have that laptops little brother, the Y520, and it works pretty good for everything except VR.  Getting Oculus or Vive working on it is a major pain because the GPU does not have any direct video outputs, they all go through the Intel HD graphics.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

There is and it requires setting up a custom Windows power profile from what I remember.  I have that laptops little brother, the Y520, and it works pretty good for everything except VR.  Getting Oculus or Vive working on it is a major pain because the GPU does not have any direct video outputs, they all go through the Intel HD graphics.

... How ...

3 minutes ago, pcguy0000 said:

one more question - would you recomend I stay with my pc or move to my laptop (fully)? 

My question remains

4 hours ago, pcguy0000 said:

If your getting better performance there's no reason not to move over to your laptop. 

4 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

In the advanced settings, you can change options to the Integrated graphics but I have no option for changing the power plan for Nvidia GPU to Integrated graphics when I unplug.

What I ended up doing:

1. Installing GeForce Experience

This allows me to automatically switch to lower settings on games when on battery (and high while plugged in)

2. Setting the global default to "High Performance NVIDIA Proccesor"

I did this through the NVIDIA control panel.

3. Customized the programs I use with the NVIDIA card, and the integrated one.

I made it so my chrome would run off my intel, my CS:GO off of my gtx 1060, so on so forth.

Im moving to my laptop as a daily driver.

13 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

In the advanced settings, you can change options to the Integrated graphics but I have no option for changing the power plan for Nvidia GPU to Integrated graphics when I unplug.

I know its possible, but I dont have the laptop in front of me currently.  Looks like the OP figured it out, good sleuthing OP.