Which HP workstation?

Hey guys,

I need a new workstation at work and we are contracted to HP.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the workstation Xeons en graphic cards.

At home I have a Ryzen 1700x, SSD drive and GTX 1070. This has enough power for what I need at work, but I’m having trouble picking out a system from HP that has an equivalent amount of power. (Geekbech score about 20 000 - 22 000)

I do mostly 4K video editing (GH5 footage) and after effects (not super complex). About 2-3 hours per day.

What do you recommend in the HP line-up? Budget around 2000-2500 dollars.

Thanks in advance!

They threw a Z440 at me half a year ago. It did a good job at keeping me annoyed on how f****ing slow a system can be. I slapped in a boot SSD to replace the HDD they ordered it with which now serves as a bit of local storage. I also replaced some idiotic Fire something GPU from AMD with a P1000 quadro. Disabled a ton of bios features. Did a clean install to get rid of a MOTHERF****ING LOAD OF CRAPPED OUT BULKWARE (seriously HP, you guys piss me off!). Also added another 3x8GB ram to the existing single 8GB stick.... sreiously? ffs!

The system is usable now.

Would I recommend that? Yeah sure if you light your cigarettes on fire with 100$ bills it's the place to go. They are nuts.

If you are spending that much why don't you build one. Then you know it going to do the job just ask your boss first.

well in this well expensive world of GPU and DDR4 modules i think you can't just buy a PC as cheap or easy as you would before Miners and Apple bought GPUs and Memory (shoutout to samsung for emptying them memories for their phones...)

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Believe me, I asked if I could build one myself. But the company is contracted to HP.

I asked if I could go over budget since HP is so over-pricey.

I think i'm going for this one: http://www8.hp.com/be/nl/products/workstations/product-detail.html?oid=20353295#!tab=specs

Hard drive will be a 1TB SSD

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 8-GB

RAM: 32GB

Other suggestions?

3 minutes ago, thomasbaerten said:

Believe me, I asked if I could build one myself. But the company is contracted to HP.

I think i'm going for this one: http://www8.hp.com/be/nl/products/workstations/product-detail.html?oid=20353295#!tab=specs

Other suggestions?

why not quadro

and that is X299 system in other words, which possibly means you could ask for a $2000 i9-7980XE...

i think you will need more SSD space, 3TB is what i would say yes to if you want more space

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

11 minutes ago, thomasbaerten said:

Other suggestions?

Try and see if your company's supplier has any Ex-demo machines for sale.

My old company was contracted to HP, and the supplier always threw me ex-demo gear.

Most times, I was picking up 5 or 6k systems for under 2k AUD. Was a great way to get around the high pricing... and they all come with full warranty etc.

Could be an option... 

4 hours ago, Psmall5 said:

Try and see if your company's supplier has any Ex-demo machines for sale.

My old company was contracted to HP, and the supplier always threw me ex-demo gear.

Most times, I was picking up 5 or 6k systems for under 2k AUD. Was a great way to get around the high pricing... and they all come with full warranty etc.

Could be an option... 

I will check that out!

4 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

why not quadro

and that is X299 system in other words, which possibly means you could ask for a $2000 i9-7980XE...

i think you will need more SSD space, 3TB is what i would say yes to if you want more space

I asked to go over budget, but I don't think I can go THAT much over budget :-)

32 minutes ago, thomasbaerten said:

I asked to go over budget, but I don't think I can go THAT much over budget :-)

i know right, maybe just maybe when someone is brave enough to put a 7980XE on that thing

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :