home sever

what is a good afford home sever should i go the regular pc build with out the gpu or a use pc or a use sever from  eBay

Depends on what you need, if it's just for accessing data through shared folders (smb), you could buy a NAS and it would be a lot cheaper.

You are you planning on using this server for?

Server for what? Files? If it's a file server, an old Dell OptiPlex would serve fine and be cheap (and can be cheaper than a dedicated pre-built NAS unit). 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Server for what? Files? If it's a file server, an old Dell OptiPlex would serve fine and be cheap (and can be cheaper than a dedicated pre-built NAS unit). 

photo share site for my family and vm test need to be able to run vm for when i want to test differ stuff like os 

8 minutes ago, m2234323 said:

photo share site for my family and vm test need to be able to run vm for when i want to test differ stuff like os 

VMs require decent drive IO. You'll need a good number of CPU cores, ideally raided drives or a dedicated hard drive aside from your host computer's OS drive.

Something with 6/8 physical CPU cores or more, and a minimum of 2 hard drives + more for your backups. 

6 minutes ago, sambarr said:

VMs require decent drive IO. You'll need a good number of CPU cores, ideally raided drives or a dedicated hard drive aside from your host computer's OS drive.

Something with 8 physical CPU cores or more, and a minimum of 2 hard drives + more for your backups. 

how about this BM 7945-AC1 X3650 M3, 2x X5650 2.6 GHZ/12MB, 48GB RAM, DUAL POWER, RAILS

4 minutes ago, m2234323 said:

how about this BM 7945-AC1 X3650 M3, 2x X5650 2.6 GHZ/12MB, 48GB RAM, DUAL POWER, RAILS

An IBM server, sure. If it comes without drives, make sure to buy the right kind of hard drives (sometimes you can only use SAS hard drives).

I think you'll be limited to 10K SAS hard drives. You might be able to buy adapters somewhere if you want to go SATA, but I really don't know.

1 minute ago, sambarr said:

An IBM server, sure. If it comes without drives, make sure to buy the right kind of hard drives (sometimes you can only use SAS hard drives).

should i just get a newer one 

1 minute ago, m2234323 said:

should i just get a newer one 

Well something in this form factor is very noisy, so you have to take that into consideration. 

You might want to buy a tower server.

9 minutes ago, sambarr said:

Well something in this form factor is very noisy, so you have to take that into consideration. 

You might want to buy a tower server.

would a old del pc be better 

18 minutes ago, m2234323 said:

would a old del pc be better 

Well, if you use consumer hardware (home pc), you lose some reliability (ecc memory, redundant power supplies, hot swappable drives, longer-lasting parts), especially if you really want it to be up and running 24/7.

If it's just a personal project, you could buy a Ryzen 1600 (6-core 12 threads), a 1700 (8-core 16-threads), and build from there with WD Red / Seagate Ironwolf hard drives for reliability. SSD for main drive, dedicated VM drive/s, dedicated drive for your Shared folders.

You end up with something that's brand new with warranty, that's not noisy, that doesn't consume much power (old servers processors use a lot of power). You have better resale value with consumer hardware, if you ever need to sell it.

9 hours ago, sambarr said:

Something with 6/8 physical CPU cores or more

to run more than 1 VM

a quad core is better as they are cheeper and most people that have servers don't run more than 1 VM, 2 cores for the host, 2 for the vm

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

28 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

2 cores for the host

Yeah, I've done that, but it's a rather skimpy setup. 6-cores are finally something end-users can buy on an average budget, that's a good thing.