2 IP POE cameras 1 ethernet port

SenseiPichu

So I've been on google for probably the past 8 hours or so, trying to figure out how to set up 2 IP POE security cameras to my 1 ethernet port. I'm able to do the one camera by giving the camera a static IP address, then simply using ISpy to detect the camera and use it from there. However I want to set up 2 cameras now since I need more coverage. Could I get a POE switch, plug the 2 cameras, then my desktop, then edit both camera IP address so I could use ISpy or some other program to view the both of them. I don't have a router and the only thing I have is a hotspot that only gives me around .5MB average so this is why I'm going for more of a direct method of connecting my cameras. Thank you to everyone in advance.

That won't work.

You'll need a router to actually assign your cameras IP addresses and perform routing operations.

If you're using a portable hotspot for an internet connection, things are a little complicated. The simplest solution would be to have the cameras simply not connected to the internet, keeping the cameras on a separate network. Grab yourself a cheap router for the cameras, PoE switch (providing that your IP cameras don't come with PoE injectors in the box)  and some ethernet cables. Connect the router to power, connect the switch to the router (or connect the cameras directly if you've got PoE injectors, otherwise connect the cameras to the PoE switch).

If you really need to have the cameras on the same network, you'll have to find a way to get that mobile hotspot connection into a proper router first.

If you haven't already purchased your cameras, I'll recommend taking a look at the Ubiquiti UniFi Video line.  The standard G3 camera comes with a PoE injector, so you could pick a couple of those up and a switch, three patch ethernet cables and call it a day.

As for PoE switch recommendations (if you need one) I'd go with the Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8-60W.  It'll scale up to 4 PoE devices.

1 hour ago, tomharris.tech said:

That won't work.

You'll need a router to actually assign your cameras IP addresses and perform routing operations.

If you're using a portable hotspot for an internet connection, things are a little complicated. The simplest solution would be to have the cameras simply not connected to the internet, keeping the cameras on a separate network. Grab yourself a cheap router for the cameras, PoE switch (providing that your IP cameras don't come with PoE injectors in the box)  and some ethernet cables. Connect the router to power, connect the switch to the router (or connect the cameras directly if you've got PoE injectors, otherwise connect the cameras to the PoE switch).

If you really need to have the cameras on the same network, you'll have to find a way to get that mobile hotspot connection into a proper router first.

If you haven't already purchased your cameras, I'll recommend taking a look at the Ubiquiti UniFi Video line.  The standard G3 camera comes with a PoE injector, so you could pick a couple of those up and a switch, three patch ethernet cables and call it a day.

As for PoE switch recommendations (if you need one) I'd go with the Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8-60W.  It'll scale up to 4 PoE devices.

Well Yeah, I don't want them connected to the internet at all. I don't want my hotspot to be used. Just a one way link to my computer so I can record the footage 24//7. As I said I already figured out how to do it for one camera by simply plugging it to my Ethernet port and giving it a static IP now I need to learn how to do TWO. Main reason why I said either a switch or simple a  USB to ether adapter. However yeah I might just be forced to pay extra for a router in the end along with a POE switch.

10 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, a network PoE switch would work in this case (Just manually assign IPs to the two cameras as needed)

My issue is how to give them both different static IPs if I were to connect the switch directly to my desktop. Is there something special I have to do since I only have one ethernet adapter to work with. Or if I plug in the switch would it give me Multiple Ethernet adapters so I can change both of the camera's IP address. Also the screenshot is just to demonstrate my settings and wotnot and maybe you could give me an example on how to set things up if you can. 

Address.png

6 hours ago, SenseiPichu said:

My issue is how to give them both different static IPs if I were to connect the switch directly to my desktop. Is there something special I have to do since I only have one ethernet adapter to work with. Or if I plug in the switch would it give me Multiple Ethernet adapters so I can change both of the camera's IP address. Also the screenshot is just to demonstrate my settings and wotnot and maybe you could give me an example on how to set things up if you can. 

Hmm, you can't force each camera to stick to a static IP? (I would set one up first, change it to something different from the default IP), then set up the second one (to avoid default IP collusion).

Else, you might have to use a router as stated above to DHCP assign IPs for you if you can't manually set up the statics.

It really depends on what cameras you have. I've seen varying levels of features.

23 hours ago, SenseiPichu said:

Address.png

If you plug in the switch, you won't be given multiple adapters.  You're trying to create a network here, but neglecting the crucial part: a router. A workaround would be to, as you suggest, go and buy (as you suggested) a USB to ethernet adapter. I wouldn't bother getting a PCIe card since you're not going to need the speed and there's no point taking up PCIe slots in your rig for that.

You'll need to put each camera on a different subnet so change x in 192.168.x.y between cameras, and y doesn't really matter as long as you know what it is. Just make sure that iSpy or whatever can deal with cameras across multiple subnets.

If you try and run multiple cameras on the same network by blindly connecting the cameras and switch into your Realtek NIC, you're trying to use Windows' basic networking functionality to perform routing operations. Windows is not router software.

The way I would go about solving your scenario if I had the extra cash is get yourself a different hotspot (providing your current solution doesn't already have ethernet ports! Also, what hotspot device are you using now, if the above doesn't solve the issue?) and make sure to get one with ethernet ports on the back, which will solve you a whole load of trouble. That way, everything can connect to "Memes" via wire or wireless, and you can use your network just as normal without complications. The cameras shouldn't use up your internet usage allowance since they have no reason to be using the internet.

Edited by tomharris.tech
Added that purchasing a new device if the current one already has ethernet ports is not neccessary.

16 hours ago, scottyseng said:

(I would set one up first, change it to something different from the default IP), then set up the second one (to avoid default IP collusion).

This approach won't work as you're changing the properties of the network adapter and not the cameras attached, regardless of the presence of a switch. The NIC will have a single IP address. Setting it up one way, swapping the cameras and changing it to the other will have literally no effect, it's like turning a light on and off again. This is because when changing options in the 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties ' menu, you're changing the computer's IP address on the network of devices (the switch and cameras). You're not managing the cameras themselves, since there is no router. A router would have to manage the IP addresses of other devices.

Please find a recommended solution addressed to the OP above (or below, I don't know where it'll show up).

So I ended up getting everything from amazon today. 2 Cameras, one from Reolink and the other from SV3C. Along with 2 100ft flat cat 6 cables, and a POE switch from Amcrest. I set everything where I wanted it to, sadly it seems I was wrong about setting up the cameras however at least it was a fun and learning experience. I ended up buying a router ahead of time just in case I was wrong and the router came in handy by quite a lot. Thank you everyone for helping out u wu