OS Divided into 2 different SSD's ?? What?

k96

hello,

i finally completed my build, and when i installed win10 through usb, i chose the SSD disk i wanted, and when i open diskmanagement now, the OS Is divided into 2 parts?? the OS is on the SSD i want, while the system reserve is on the other SSD? what? never in my life seen this happen. What are my options now?

Thanks for the reply in advance.

Disk 0 is the SSD i dont want anything on but it has system reserve

DISK 1 is the SSD i want OS on. and it has that, but no system reserve.

IMG_20180317_190914.jpg

lol thats kinda strange indeed, thats why you should always install an operating system with only 1 drive in the PC. You can connect the other later.

By the way, which kind of data is at the E:\ drive? is that just random data?

The e was unnallocated, not sure how to type that, but it still had the system reserve from when i installed win, strange indeed. So i allocated it and created the E:. theres nothing in it besides system reserve. How on Earth does that even end up on another disk?

3 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

lol thats kinda strange indeed, thats why you should always install an operating system with only 1 drive in the PC. You can connect the other later.

By the way, which kind of data is at the E:\ drive? is that just random data?

what do i do now then? reinstall it all ? is there no way to remove that shit, im just so done With this, been at it since 16:00 yesterday lol, i want to play!!

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

The System Reserved partition is where the OS bootloader lives. Though it's an unusual configuration, there's nothing wrong with what's going on. The only problem is if you remove the drive, you can't boot into the OS.

Exaclly but a normal OS installation puts the bootloader at the first sector of the first hardrive, safest bet would be just disconnect second drive and reinstall windows then format the other drive, done.

so my boot is on disk 0 while OS is on disk 1? that means if i fully load all of the 120gb of DISK 0 my bootup time is going to be slow?

Just now, Jarno. said:

Exaclly but a normal OS installation puts the bootloader at the first sector of the first hardrive, safest bet would be just disconnect second drive and reinstall windows then format the other drive, done.

yea i Guess ill do that, do i disconnect both the HDD and the SSD and just keep the other SSD i want?

Just now, k96 said:

yea i Guess ill do that, do i disconnect both the HDD and the SSD and just keep the other SSD i want?

Yah, disconnect all drives except what you want to install Windows on.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, k96 said:

Yes. Alternatively you can shrink the OS partition by about 200MB and recreate the bootloader, but it might just be easier to reinstall the OS if you have nothing you want to keep on it.

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, disconnect all drives except what you want to install Windows on.

hmmmmm, alright then, i Guess. should be fast enough. Thanks everyone for the input !

It's pretty common for that to occur. Not sure why it does that, but it might be to improve performance from Microsoft's point of view. Regardless, in the future, only have the boot drive connected when installing Windows, and then connect the others later.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's pretty common for that to occur. Not sure why it does that, but it might be to improve performance from Microsoft's point of view. Regardless, in the future, only have the boot drive connected when installing Windows, and then connect the others later.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes. Alternatively you can shrink the OS partition by about 200MB and recreate the bootloader, but it might just be easier to reinstall the OS if you have nothing you want to keep on it.

Okay, so i removed the drives i didnt want, and im in the BIOS. Theres 2 Choices for boot overdrive. one is saying:

UEFI: Generic Flash Disk 8.07 Partition 1 (7650mb)

Generic Flash disk 8.07 (76050)

what do i choose, or doesnt it matter?

2 minutes ago, k96 said:

Okay, so i removed the drives i didnt want, and im in the BIOS. Theres 2 Choices for boot overdrive. one is saying:

UEFI: Generic Flash Disk 8.07 Partition 1 (7650mb)

Generic Flash disk 8.07 (76050)

what do i choose, or doesnt it matter?

It doesn't matter. It should figure it out.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It doesn't matter. It should figure it out.

alright, it seems like it Works now. When i tried installing Windows first it gave me a warning when i pressed NeXT after choosing the disk i wanted, said something about partitions, perhaps that made the reserve and os split. well thanks anyways for the immediate answers!