PC acting weird... and now nothing

The TLDR: My PC has no signal to the monitors, no power to keyboard or mouse, but components/fans seem to be running. 

*EDIT: fans are not running either...

More context:

I have had this PC for less than a month, but recently the morning before this happened I went in my office when my computer would usually be asleep but some fans were spinning like crazy really loud so I shut the computer off, restarted it and everything was normal: temps looked normal on my Cam software. Later I was just playing a game (not a heavy strain game either) and all of a sudden my PC's power cuts out (only the PC not the house). So I turn the PC back on except there is now no signal to the monitors or power to my peripherals. 

I looked up possible fixes, tried unplugging then holding the power button for a minute but that didn't work. I haven't opened it up yet because as far as I can see everything inside has power and turns on and there are no signal lights on the MB indicating another problem... Help! 

Did your PSU die?

what are your specs?

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

26 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

Did your PSU die?

what are your specs?

have a Thermaltake 750 watt PSU, intel 7800x, and GTX 1080

If your PSU dies does that mean it can still power on the lights and whatnot inside your PC? 

12 minutes ago, Drugs-Robot said:

have a Thermaltake 750 watt PSU, intel 7800x, and GTX 1080

If your PSU dies does that mean it can still power on the lights and whatnot inside your PC? 

No when you PSU dies, no power. Think of it like a mini power plant inside your PC

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

1 minute ago, v0nn_toaster said:

No when you PSU dies, no power. Think of it like a mini power plant inside your PC

So then it's not dead? The lights on my ram, GPU, and motherboard are still lit up, but fans, mouse, keyboard all have no power and signal to monitor is not there.

Try to run your PC on the i-GPU?

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

I don't know if my MB has that, and I don't know how to do that...

Just now, Drugs-Robot said:

I don't know if my MB has that, and I don't know how to do that...

Just connect your monitor to a VGA/HDMI/DP port on your motherboard 

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

22 minutes ago, Drugs-Robot said:

Oh yeah, it doesn't have that

Any sort of beeping coming from motherboard when you power it on?

What motherboard is it?

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

3 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

Any sort of beeping coming from motherboard when you power it on?

What motherboard is it?

There was no beeping. Its an Asus x299 board

2 hours ago, Drugs-Robot said:

There was no beeping. Its an Asus x299 board

Hmmmm this is really weird. So you get power but only lighting, the PC has been acting strangely, now it appears to be totally dead, and cant provide self-diagnostics...

To be honest, because of the way your PC died, there are numerous possible issues that you will be unable to test without another X299 system lying around so you can individually test CPU, Mobo, RAM, and GPU.

I would say the first step would be to borrow a power supply and see if you can get the machine to POST and or boot into Windows. If that doesn't work, then its some sort of hardware failure for sure.

Try basic troubleshooting stuff such as unplugging all fans and using one stick of RAM at a time in each power attempt. Try booting without the GPU (yes you wont be able to see anything on screen but you should be able to tell if the system gets farther without it). This probably wont help based on the nature of your failure, but hey, you never know!

My best guess? Because of the way it was behaving before its death, I would have to say that your motherboard is most likely dead. The fans were probably freaking out because the board was dying and couldn't figure out where to send what power.

EDIT: Call ASUS and describe to them in as much detail as possible your experiences and ask them if they believe it could be the MotherBoard. If so, then continue with RMA.

Current Build Thread:

14 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

Hmmmm this is really weird. So you get power but only lighting, the PC has been acting strangely, now it appears to be totally dead, and cant provide self-diagnostics...

To be honest, because of the way your PC died, there are numerous possible issues that you will be unable to test without another X299 system lying around so you can individually test CPU, Mobo, RAM, and GPU.

I would say the first step would be to borrow a power supply and see if you can get the machine to POST and or boot into Windows. If that doesn't work, then its some sort of hardware failure for sure.

Try basic troubleshooting stuff such as unplugging all fans and using one stick of RAM at a time in each power attempt. Try booting without the GPU (yes you wont be able to see anything on screen but you should be able to tell if the system gets farther without it). This probably wont help based on the nature of your failure, but hey, you never know!

My best guess? Because of the way it was behaving before its death, I would have to say that your motherboard is most likely dead. The fans were probably freaking out because the board was dying and couldn't figure out where to send what power.

EDIT: Call ASUS and describe to them in as much detail as possible your experiences and ask them if they believe it could be the MotherBoard. If so, then continue with RMA.

Thanks for the feedback. I originally bought the system from iBuypower and it is still within the first 30 days of receiving the system so I decided to send it back for repairs, but now I think I'm just going to ask for a refund because I am confident enough to build my own system following a guide after getting into more Linus videos and whatnot. I was unimpressed with the cable management and overall quality of the build. I had an iBuypower that had zero problems for 4 years which is the only reason I bought from them in the first place but I think their quality has gone down.  

2 minutes ago, Drugs-Robot said:

Thanks for the feedback. I originally bought the system from iBuypower and it is still within the first 30 days of receiving the system so I decided to send it back for repairs, but now I think I'm just going to ask for a refund because I am confident enough to build my own system following a guide after getting into more Linus videos and whatnot. I was unimpressed with the cable management and overall quality of the build. I had an iBuypower that had zero problems for 4 years which is the only reason I bought from them in the first place but I think their quality has gone down.  

iBuyPower is supposed to be really good, and honestly with RAM and GPU pricing it may make more sense to buy from a builder as things currently sit. I wouldn't let one weird system let you think that iBuyPower is bad, after all you did have that other system for 4 years.

CyberPowerPc is a good alternative for a pre-built system, but regardless of the route you want to take, I wish you luck!

Current Build Thread:

5 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

iBuyPower is supposed to be really good, and honestly with RAM and GPU pricing it may make more sense to buy from a builder as things currently sit. I wouldn't let one weird system let you think that iBuyPower is bad, after all you did have that other system for 4 years.

CyberPowerPc is a good alternative for a pre-built system, but regardless of the route you want to take, I wish you luck!

Yeah I just noticed they cut a few corners, and it took way longer to get my system than it should have. I would also rather build an intel 8700k system instead of the 6 core 7800x system. The temperature fluctuations I would see did not seem normal and I have read that other people with similar systems have had problems with these systems. I really appreciate the help though!