MITX Board w/M.2

I am looking for a MITX board that supports M.2 and laptop ram. I need a very low profile board, preferably one with an embedded processor or CPU with low profile heat sink. So the IO ports on the back must also be very minimal also. 

Second I am looking for a board that could support a battery. We can mod this board for proof of concept, but if there is already a board that supports this. That would be great. 

I have been looking into PI's but I need the M.2 for data rate. I saw they have an M.2 kit for the PI, but that goes over USB 2.0 which would not work. 

What are you doing? 

Do you want pcie or sata m.2?

Do you need x86?

For m.2 speed what do you want? seq speeds. random speed/iops?

How about this? https://www.amazon.com/Z83-W-Fanless-PC-x5-Z8350-Graphics/dp/B01N3RO6X5/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521050523&sr=1-3&keywords=mini+pc&dpID=41b6WHb50kL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-STX/index.asp

That's the smallest I can come up with. It's a mini-STX form factor. Good luck finding one though.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you doing? 

Do you want pcie or sata m.2?

Do you need x86?

For m.2 speed what do you want? seq speeds. random speed/iops?

How about this? https://www.amazon.com/Z83-W-Fanless-PC-x5-Z8350-Graphics/dp/B01N3RO6X5/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521050523&sr=1-3&keywords=mini+pc&dpID=41b6WHb50kL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

What are we doing? Collecting massive amounts of sensor data.

Do you want PCIE or Sata M.2? I believe I would need Sata M.2, PCIE would be the card in a PCI slot correct? 

X86 is not important.

M.2 I was looking at the Samsung 960 Pro which I believe should average 1.66GB/s. We will only be transferring a single large file. The requirement for write speed though today is only 260MB/s for continuous recording of data. We want the horse power when we offload the data. The computer itself will run software to compile all the data into a single file format. 

Right now we are looking to test a requirement, to see what we would like to do is possible, then reach out to a developer to create something that is capable of the environmental requirements we need it to sustain. 

The end all be all is to accomplish this in a device the size of a cell phone. 

19 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-STX/index.asp

That's the smallest I can come up with. It's a mini-STX form factor. Good luck finding one though.

This was the board I was looking at, but I was wishing it supported laptop ram to reduce the height of the ram and the prehaps remove the USB so the ethernet is on the board. I was thinking of reaching out to asrock to see what they can do custom, because this is the closest board I have seen that I like. 

52 minutes ago, JusticeBeaver said:

What are we doing? Collecting massive amounts of sensor data.

Do you want PCIE or Sata M.2? I believe I would need Sata M.2, PCIE would be the card in a PCI slot correct? 

X86 is not important.

M.2 I was looking at the Samsung 960 Pro which I believe should average 1.66GB/s. We will only be transferring a single large file. The requirement for write speed though today is only 260MB/s for continuous recording of data. We want the horse power when we offload the data. The computer itself will run software to compile all the data into a single file format. 

Right now we are looking to test a requirement, to see what we would like to do is possible, then reach out to a developer to create something that is capable of the environmental requirements we need it to sustain. 

The end all be all is to accomplish this in a device the size of a cell phone. 

M.2 comes in pcie and sata.

They won't work in the slots for the other ones.

You say you want sata m.2, but then litsed a 960, which is a pcie m.2 drive.

Also those write speeds are bursts, not sustained, they can be as low as 200mB/s on the 250gb for write speeds.

Id look at a nuc here. How about this guy https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXNUC7I3BNH-NUC-Kit-Components/dp/B01N4EOJNG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521148456&sr=8-4&keywords=intel%2Bnuc&dpID=41KZVxUprPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

Then id go 960 pro, the pro models have mlc with better write speed and endurance. The fast writes you normally see are from the slc cache on the drive, your normally not hitting the tlc in the benchmarks.

49 minutes ago, JusticeBeaver said:

This was the board I was looking at, but I was wishing it supported laptop ram to reduce the height of the ram and the prehaps remove the USB so the ethernet is on the board. I was thinking of reaching out to asrock to see what they can do custom, because this is the closest board I have seen that I like. 

This does take laptop ram, they just stick it straight up. Also, good luck on that with Asrock. I can tell you that you'll almost certainly hear nothing back. If you do, the price will be atrocious. Also look at an Intel NUC, buy something barebones and then add the RAM and M.2. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

21 hours ago, JusticeBeaver said:

I have been looking into PI's but I need the M.2 for data rate. I saw they have an M.2 kit for the PI, but that goes over USB 2.0 which would not work. 

But even if they have one, a PI wouldn't have enough processing power to make use of the nvme bandwidth.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

21 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

This does take laptop ram, they just stick it straight up. Also, good luck on that with Asrock. I can tell you that you'll almost certainly hear nothing back. If you do, the price will be atrocious. Also look at an Intel NUC, buy something barebones and then add the RAM and M.2. 

If i was putting the ram straight up and down I would just use desktop ram. 

As for atrocious price we are not concerned with this as of yet. I have no clue why i forgot about a NUC... 

21 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

M.2 comes in pcie and sata.

They won't work in the slots for the other ones.

You say you want sata m.2, but then litsed a 960, which is a pcie m.2 drive.

Also those write speeds are bursts, not sustained, they can be as low as 200mB/s on the 250gb for write speeds.

Id look at a nuc here. How about this guy https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXNUC7I3BNH-NUC-Kit-Components/dp/B01N4EOJNG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521148456&sr=8-4&keywords=intel%2Bnuc&dpID=41KZVxUprPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

Then id go 960 pro, the pro models have mlc with better write speed and endurance. The fast writes you normally see are from the slc cache on the drive, your normally not hitting the tlc in the benchmarks.

Thanks I can't believe I didn't think of a NUC... I have the damn things running all my TV's in my house lol..