1080 ti strix 2100mhz and beond

Go to solution Solved by Shiftstealth,

You could probably flash another BIOS on the card, but you'd be doing that for minimal gains. Very very few cards hit above 2100Mhz. I'd say you might gain 25mhz if you flash the other BIOS. IMO not worth it. You'd need to download nvflash, and have someone backup their BIOS from another card that has a higher limit, like your Aorus. I think the factory overclocked STRIXX might have a higher power target than your card if you have the non-OC one. So that might be the most viable one if you decide you really need that extra 25mhz.

Hey guys! so i've recently sold my "old" gpu to a friend. the 1080 ti Aorus that is. and i'm now using one of my mining 1080 ti strix's to power my main rig. 
I've bin having some fun trying to oc this card, and found i can hit 2100mhz with its original cooler not pushing more then 65% fan-speed, also the card isn't getting much hotter then 55*c. so i was thinking i should be able to push some more mhz with that margin. but then the 1080 ti strix only has a 120% power target.. against the 150% my Aorus had.
so i'm here to ask if there is any way to remove the power target limit (where i don't have to mod the card physically). or some way to get the core voltage to be more stable then it is. its jumping all over the place between 1000-1075mv.
was hoping i could get it to hold a consistent 1100mv on 100% usage. or just somehow increase the power target past 120%. 

anyone that has some experience with this card or in general? i done some basic Oc'ing in my time. but nothing past physically modding or bios mod's yet. 

CPU: i7 8700k, 4.9ghz 1.29v llc1  Motherboard: Asus Z370-i G  Ram: Trident-Z 3200mhz->3866 cl17,17,37
GPU: Strix Oc 1080ti 2075mhz  Case: aNcase M1
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb, x2 Raid 0 PSU: Corsair SF600 SFX
Display: Acer Predator x34 100hz 1440p  
Cooling: Celsius C24  Operating System: W10   

Power limits are a hard limit that can't be bypassed without modding the card. The only thing that you might be able to have some success with is a custom clock curve. If that doesn't hold up, then you'll need to void your warranty to push the card higher.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

You could probably flash another BIOS on the card, but you'd be doing that for minimal gains. Very very few cards hit above 2100Mhz. I'd say you might gain 25mhz if you flash the other BIOS. IMO not worth it. You'd need to download nvflash, and have someone backup their BIOS from another card that has a higher limit, like your Aorus. I think the factory overclocked STRIXX might have a higher power target than your card if you have the non-OC one. So that might be the most viable one if you decide you really need that extra 25mhz.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

13 hours ago, Shiftstealth said:

Yeah, that's what i ended up doing. i found some other guides and flashed my bios to the strix XOC version someone had linked on there. and your'e right. i't wasn't much gain but i can now run 2100mhz more stable due to there not being any temp and power limit's. but to actually go above the 1093mv voltage limit i need to shunt mod it seems. which i am not going to do. 
overall happy about that :) 

CPU: i7 8700k, 4.9ghz 1.29v llc1  Motherboard: Asus Z370-i G  Ram: Trident-Z 3200mhz->3866 cl17,17,37
GPU: Strix Oc 1080ti 2075mhz  Case: aNcase M1
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb, x2 Raid 0 PSU: Corsair SF600 SFX
Display: Acer Predator x34 100hz 1440p  
Cooling: Celsius C24  Operating System: W10