What CPU to choose? Ryzen 3 1300X or Ryzen 5 1600?

I am looking to get a new PC soon. I need it to be comfortable with mid- to high-end gaming (at least medium settings in games like War Thunder and Fallout 4), but ALSO be competent at photo editing (e.g. Adobe Photoshop Express). Also I want to pair it with a Gigabyte A320M-52H rev.1.0 motherboard, a Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GPU, a stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM (is Mushkin OK for that?) and a EVGA 600W PSU.

My main question is about the processor, but I would love to hear your opinions on my choice of components as well. Thanks a bunch in advance!

If I was building something like this I would go for the Ryzen 3 1300X since it's cheaper and the 2 extra cores wouldn't really help in anything since it's only photo editing. :) Also a 600W PSU for this build is a little overkill. How about a 500W? :D 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R5 1600 but with B350 mobo so that you can OC it to increase performance.

Also, GTX 1050 will struggle in most games due to low VRAM. The EVGA 600W PSU is probably Bronze or White series so, no good IMO.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Why that specific A320 mobo? You can't overclock on the A320 chipset. For gaming performance you want to be pushing core frequency. Don't make Lisa sad man she's an old lady.

Why not tell us your budget, the components you need to buy, and in what country? How much does a gallon of water cost in the middle of the desert?

Well here's the deal. The lowest budget I can get is the one I'll take. BUT. If the extra money is for something noticeably superior to a lower-end solution, then I'll gladly take that. First off, I live in Greece and this country has a reputation for pushing the prices of things all the way up to +80 - 100%. That being said, I have also looked at a neat alternative to the GPU listed above, which is the RX550 2GB. Cheaper where I live, but I don't know about the performance. Now, about the mobo. The thing is, I don't really want to OC anything. If I can keep such a PC fully operational with minimal wear of the components for a couple more years, I will do it. And btw, based on Linus' Tech Tips vid on RAM speeds, I'd say a 2400MHz is just right for me, both financially and performance-wise. 

So... what I'm saying is that I want out-of-the-box performance that is great. A minimum of 30fps on any game I run on it. No less than that, plus some power for photo editing. I'm not a content creator, I don't do streaming, but I love the price points of AMD's Ryzen lineup and have trusted AMD for a really long time. My current PC is dying after 10 years of serious tweaking by a friend, gaming all day for months, heat waves, upgrades, recoveries and all that good stuff.

50 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

what about an i5-8400?

Price point? A 200$ CPU is all I can afford, I'm afraid. In Greece, a Ryzen 5 1600 goes for about 172 euros, so about 212$ in the US.

43 minutes ago, alkisleftheriotis said:

Price point? A 200$ CPU is all I can afford, I'm afraid. In Greece, a Ryzen 5 1600 goes for about 172 euros, so about 212$ in the US.

Recommended Customer Price $182.00 - $187.00

Sells around 180$ US

Dunno about Greece though.

But 6 Cores 6 threats at 4.0GHz stock turbo and pretty much a gamers dream as far as Intel goes. Same tdp  of 65 Watt like the 2 AMDs you listed (if I am not horribly mistaken)

5 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Recommended Customer Price $182.00 - $187.00

Sells around 180$ US

Dunno about Greece though.

But 6 Cores 6 threats at 4.0GHz stock turbo and pretty much a gamers dream as far as Intel goes. Same tdp  of 65 Watt like the 2 AMDs you listed (if I am not horribly mistaken)

How about software? Does Intel have anything I need to be careful about? And what type of board is available for OC with the Intel socket that fits it? (and btw what socket is that exactly)

25 minutes ago, alkisleftheriotis said:

How about software? Does Intel have anything I need to be careful about? And what type of board is available for OC with the Intel socket that fits it? (and btw what socket is that exactly)

socked is FCLGA1151

info here: https://ark.intel.com/products/126687/Intel-Core-i5-8400-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

I wouldn't worry about Intel compatibility at all, if so the other way round with AMD (allthough that should be a thing of the past)

There are countless boards out there with that socked that support OC, dunno about availability in greece though.

2 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

what about an i5-8400?

Pretty much the same specs as the Ryzen 5 1600, apart from the double threading that one has. But then again, the price difference is just 5 dollars or so between the two atm. Intel is better at gaming, correct? 

2 hours ago, simonbyrial said:

If I was building something like this I would go for the Ryzen 3 1300X since it's cheaper and the 2 extra cores wouldn't really help in anything since it's only photo editing. :) Also a 600W PSU for this build is a little overkill. How about a 500W? :D 

Will 500W suffice for an SSD, an HDD and a DVD? 

2 minutes ago, alkisleftheriotis said:

Will 500W suffice for an SSD, an HDD and a DVD? 

That wouldn't be a problem :) 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What about waiting for Ryzen 2? :P

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace