The XPERIA XZ2’s dongle apparently won’t work on other phones

D13H4RD

Well, screw you Sony if this is the case.

Apparently, it turns out that the split dongle that Sony has for the XPERIA XZ2 only works on their phones and will flat out not work on anything else, even a laptop.

This isn’t new as HTC, Motorola and others have done the same but seriously, WTF? Why is Google and Essential the only one making dongles that work with everything USB-C? Why is Samsung the only one actually logical enough to keep the jack?

UPDATE: I guess this is the case now...

There are some restrictions though, quick charging is not supported. Also, if you happen to own some of the older noise-cancelling headsets such as the MDR-NC31EM and MDR-NC750, then you’re out of luck as they’re not supported. If you have a non-Xperia mobile, then we understand this cable will not work with your phone due to the specific pin configuration that is compatible with the Xperia models only.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2018/03/09/sonys-ec270-cable-allows-xperia-xz2-users-to-listen-and-charge-simultaneously/

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

While searching for the issue i cant find any truth to the statement. Every news agency quotes the other news agencys, and i cant seem to find the original source for that statement. You did say apparently, but i feel like it still isnt true. Jumping to screw you Sony without providing any source of information is a bit condecending.

12 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

While searching for the issue i cant find any truth to the statement. Every news agency quotes the other news agencys, and i cant seem to find the original source for that statement. You did say apparently, but i feel like it still isnt true. Jumping to screw you Sony without providing any source of information is a bit condecending.

https://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/usb-type-c-2-in-1-cable-ec270/

It’s in the disclaimer 

It wouldn’t be unlike Sony though, but I was still hoping for them to use an open standard

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

50 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

https://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/usb-type-c-2-in-1-cable-ec270/

It’s in the disclaimer 

It wouldn’t be unlike Sony though, but I was still hoping for them to use an open standard

yeah that sucks. They think that they can be like apple and make tons of money selling proprietery dongles... 

It's Sony. No one should be surprised. You should be happy they use USB Type C as the primary connector.
Honestly, that's one of the main reasons their Walkman series of MP3 players got axed off my list.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

You should be happy they use USB Type C as the primary connector.

Ironically, that makes me more frustrated

USB-C is supposed to be a universal connector that works with a heap of stuff. Using a proprietary standard on an open-connector pretty much nullifies its purpose.

It's not just Sony. OEMs that aren't Google or Essential are doing the same. Honestly, why even bother...

7 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Ironically, that makes me more frustrated

USB-C is supposed to be a universal connector that works with a heap of stuff. Using a proprietary standard on an open-connector pretty much nullifies its purpose.

It's not just Sony. OEMs that aren't Google or Essential are doing the same. Honestly, why even bother...

...It even makes Apple look good! There are hundreds of lightning dongles on the web for very cheap and they work on all iPhones. Unless you're Apple you can't afford to screw customers over with proprietary ports.