Computer freezes while playing Fortnite.

Hello LTT Community,

I recently (last Sunday) built a new computer and it's been working fine until I try and play Fortnite (have not played any other games).  I can play for anywhere between 1 to 2 hours then it just locks up.  Discord still works, but I cannot alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del out of the program.  I have to hard reset the PC.  I ran a memory check and Prime95 for 3 hours with no issues.

I guess my next step would be to install another game and see if I get the same issues.  This is my first experience with Windows 10.  Are there settings I'm missing?  What would cause the random freeze issues?

I have turned power management to performance and made sure the HD sleep was turned to never.  I have disable the 'game mode' and record features. 

Temps on CPU and GPU seem fine.  From what I've read CPU = 65'C  GPU = 70'C are okay under load.  Prime95 saw max core temps of no higher than 83'C

System Info

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (WIFI)

Processor: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Fractal Design - Celsius S36 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Memory GSkill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Graphics Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card

Hard Drive: Crucial - MX500 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Full Build Info can be found here:

If I've missed any info please let me know.  Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks!

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I just want to mention that you should never ever use prime95 on a modern computer, last I heard it could melt a CPU. Are you sure you ran memtest properly?

7 minutes ago, Sack said:

I just want to mention that you should never ever use prime95 on a modern computer, last I heard it could melt a CPU. Are you sure you ran memtest properly?

Oh really?  I had no idea.  I saw a few techtubers run Prime as a benchmark for stable OC.  I guess I'll avoid it in the future.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics utility

Prime95 used to be the goto tool, but that changed a couple of architectures ago. I've never used windows memtest, but the usual standard is memtest86, which is what I've used and found bad ram with.

Just now, Sack said:

...the usual standard is memtest86, which is what I've used and found bad ram with.

Thanks Sack, I'll check tonight with that program and see what's going on.  Appreciate the feedback.

• 4 months later...

This EXACT same thing is happening to me! I replaced my memory yet it still happens, the only way to fix it is to hard reset PC or reinstall windows. I have not found anyone else with this issue so if you can PLEASE help me figure this out, Im desperate.

@SeargentSebSeb So I figured mine out.  I play in windowed full screen now and haven't had one freeze.  The memtest ran just fine.

On 8/12/2018 at 2:20 PM, Velcade said:

@SeargentSebSeb So I figured mine out.  I play in windowed full screen now and haven't had one freeze.  The memtest ran just fine.

I always play on windowed fullscreen, maybe I should try fullscreen?

On 8/12/2018 at 2:20 PM, Velcade said:

I have tried playing on fullscreen and windowed and still get the freezes. Any suggestions?

What's your setup?  I have to run windowed fullscreen for it to work.  Try lowering your graphic settings?  What errors are you getting when it crashes?  Does it need to be rebooted or does the game client just crash?

it could be the video drivers (download latest game ready drivers  ) ?

the freeze  is it just the game ? or everything ?

also check your hard drive ( or SSD  ) , if your OS drive has to less space then the pc also freeze up ( specialy with big TMP files  ) 

it could be a firmware issue of the SSD drive ( happends to a friend of mine ) so see if there is a newer firmware

Greets From PowerChaos

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

On 8/22/2018 at 8:54 AM, Velcade said:

What's your setup?  I have to run windowed fullscreen for it to work.  Try lowering your graphic settings?  What errors are you getting when it crashes?  Does it need to be rebooted or does the game client just crash?

I have an i7 8700k, gtx 1070, 16gb memory, 256 gb Samsung SSD. I have to hard reboot my PC every time and that fixes the issue I dont run any shadows and anti aliasing and my load doesnt peak at all. 

On 8/22/2018 at 11:02 AM, PowerChaos said:

it could be the video drivers (download latest game ready drivers  ) ?

the freeze  is it just the game ? or everything ?

also check your hard drive ( or SSD  ) , if your OS drive has to less space then the pc also freeze up ( specialy with big TMP files  ) 

it could be a firmware issue of the SSD drive ( happends to a friend of mine ) so see if there is a newer firmware

Greets From PowerChaos

The drivers are up to date, the game actually works perfectly fine its just that when I want to go to a different tab on my second screen or with alt+tab that tab is completely frozen. My SSD has more than 100gb free, ill check the firmware right now. Thanks guys!