Static and Whine Coming From Speakers and All Ports

Go to solution Solved by Radu Matei Birle,

I know this is a bit old, but as a guy that build amplifiers out of passion for audio, that static is almost always due to high input impedance of the device at the other end of the small signal audio cable, i.e. amplifier, mixer, etc. Nowadays, PCs have pretty good sound chips so i've resorted to using lower input impedances. My amplifiers are around 10k input impedance, tried even 1k but some devices had trouble with that (not PCs). The reason why you can use low impedances is due to them being designed to drive headphones, which are around 30 to 600 ohms. The lower the impedance, the lower the noise picked up from power lines running in the vicinity of your small signal audio cables. The dacs and opamps used have a high power supply noise rejection so it's really unlikely that dirty power is the reason for the static noise. Hope this helps you or others in distress ;)

Hi, I've been battling this issue with my setup for years! This has been happening since my old computer (scorpio) and now occuring on my somewhat new one (scorpiov2). I don't know if it's that my power is dirty or something, but my power substation for my town is actually pretty new! I will face this issue weather I'm using my Bose speakers, or my monitor ones via HDMI. I have a big battery backup which powers 2 servers, and my pc, then from the UPS it goes through a power strip behind my PC, then to my PC. I have also tried numerous soundcards, and and mobo's. My audio setup (after plugging into PC) is fairly complicated because I am a audio hardware geek, and I make music. Another thing to take note is that my PSU is brand new (1 week old), my old one had coil whine. Is there any fix to this? Thanks!

P.S. I am also using a mini hum eliminator in attempt to fix this, but had very little effect.

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQMvkT

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200

GTX 1070 Founders Edition ASUS

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2

Speed Link LEDOS RED (keeping it German!)

Some BOSE speakers.

VM Audio 1200 Watt Subwoofer Hooked up to Corsair CX750M

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

How about telling us what your audio setup actually is instead of just saying "is fairly complicated"...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

How about telling us what your audio setup actually is instead of just saying "is fairly complicated"...

I ended up fixing it for now... I removed my mini hum eliminator and bam!! Don't know why or how but it did the trick. Sorrry for not providing setup details. I don't find it being of much use now providing these details. But in case you are wondering I have an amplifier, mixing board (for using logic pro on my mac), Behringer MINIFBQ FBQ800, and thats it, not so complicated now that I think about it! 

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

3 minutes ago, aedan929 said:

I ended up fixing it for now... I removed my mini hum eliminator and bam!! Don't know why or how but it did the trick. Sorrry for not providing setup details. I don't find it being of much use now providing these details. But in case you are wondering I have an amplifier, mixing board (for using logic pro on my mac), Behringer MINIFBQ FBQ800, and thats it, not so complicated now that I think about it! 

Those hum eliminators are BS.

If you actually want better quality buy a power conditioner or double conversion UPS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I know this is a bit old, but as a guy that build amplifiers out of passion for audio, that static is almost always due to high input impedance of the device at the other end of the small signal audio cable, i.e. amplifier, mixer, etc. Nowadays, PCs have pretty good sound chips so i've resorted to using lower input impedances. My amplifiers are around 10k input impedance, tried even 1k but some devices had trouble with that (not PCs). The reason why you can use low impedances is due to them being designed to drive headphones, which are around 30 to 600 ohms. The lower the impedance, the lower the noise picked up from power lines running in the vicinity of your small signal audio cables. The dacs and opamps used have a high power supply noise rejection so it's really unlikely that dirty power is the reason for the static noise. Hope this helps you or others in distress ;)

Corsair H110i, I7 3930K, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, GTX780 DCu2 SLI, Intel 240gb SSD, ASUS VG247QE triple setup

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 8:40 PM, Radu Matei Birle said:

I’m just going through my previous posts and never saw your response! Thanks for the info and help! I actually learned a bit from you! Thanks!!?

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional