Should I buy iPad 2 or iPad mini 1?

So, I'm about to get around 100$, and I would like to buy an iPad, but I'm not sure which one. I want iPad 2 because the battery and screen are larger, but I like the modern design and black color of iPad mini + the smaller bezels. Both are similar in specs and use iOS 9.3.5. I'm looking for a device that I will use for like a year or so till I get a newer one. My reasons are mainly to watch YouTube/Netflix, to read emails, check social media and to play some games like Clash of Clans. Btw, will some older games like Clash of Clans work fine? Please tell me your thoughts. Thank you!

Dadolino

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPad-mini,Apple-iPad-2-Wi-Fi/phones/7523,5264

iPad 2 has a bigger screen and the mini has a smaller one. The iPad 2 goes up to ios 8 while the mini goes up to ios 9. The screen resolution is the same and cpu is the same. The battery is bigger on the iPad 2 but the camera is better on the mini. I'd say go for the iPad 2 for internet browsing like tasks.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

my mother's ipad mini (1st gen) is running  iOS 9.3.5 and is very very slow. 

If you really want an ipad of this age, i recommend getting one that runs ios 7

3 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

The iPad 2 goes up to ios 8 while the mini goes up to ios 9.

Nope, the iPad 2 goes up to iOS 9.3.5. 

6 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

The screen resolution is the same and cpu is the same....I'd say go for the iPad 2 for internet browsing like tasks.

A smaller screen would look better with the same low resolution than a larger device. Trust me, you can really notice the difference. My iPad 2 is quite slow for web browsing, so I'd go for a Mini 2 if you can.

1 minute ago, bindydad123 said:

my mother's ipad mini (1st gen) is running  iOS 9.3.5 and is very very slow. 

If you really want an ipad of this age, i recommend getting one that runs ios 7

Doing so would reduce app compatibility a lot. iOS 9 is even starting to lose compatibility. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Nope, the iPad 2 goes up to iOS 9.3.5. 

A smaller screen would look better with the same low resolution than a larger device. Trust me, you can really notice the difference. My iPad 2 is quite slow for web browsing, so I'd go for a Mini 2 if you can.

Doing so would reduce app compatibility a lot. iOS 9 is even starting to lose compatibility. 

But the thing is I can only go for an iPad 2 or mini 1, but can you tell me if older games run well? Because sometimes I like to join my friends on Clash of Clans.

Dadolino

Just now, Yusof said:

But the thing is I can only go for an iPad 2 or mini 1, but can you tell me if older games run well? Because sometimes I like to join my friends on Clash of Clans.

I don't play games on my iPad (I use it for work/music), but I have a friend who borrowed it for some time. He told me that basic games from the App store (such as Ballz, stuff like that) worked, but not the best. The iPad 2 is wonderful for music and RD Client and has wonderful battery life, but I really doubt it would give a great gaming experience, especially with the awful display (seriously, it's bad). 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

The first ipad mini was pure garbage even at launch.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I know you would like an iPad, but I would recommend saving up a bit more. If you do it over time you could buy a secondhand more recent model. If you buy a iPad 2 or Mini 1 I would be hard-pressed not to say you just wasted your money. Apple products are good, but they just don't age really well.

27 minutes ago, Yusof said:

Save up for a better iPad like the 2017 iPad 9.7" .

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Save up for a better iPad like the 2017 iPad 9.7" .

It will take me more than a year to save that much and right now I want some older model like mini or 2. I will buy a newer one after more than a year or so.

Dadolino