Read Ini File Error

So recently, whenever I booted my computer, I have a message that says Read ini File Error. All I can do is select okay. I haven't noticed any issues other than this message. Does anyone know what this could be?

Does it say exactly what process is trying to read the file or eve what the .ini file is or what line it can’t read? It’s pretty vague.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

2 hours ago, Jagman1099 said:

So recently, whenever I booted my computer, I have a message that says Read ini File Error. All I can do is select okay. I haven't noticed any issues other than this message. Does anyone know what this could be?

INI file is a text file, used by programs to store its configuration (some uses registry instead).

It usually looks like this:

[general]
option1 = value1
option2 = value2

[some other section]
option3 = value3

Normally, a well, build program will try and solve the problem if it lacks the INI file, like make a new one with default options, or if it is a permission problem, tell the user about the problem. In this case, poor design was at play, either in the error message being non-helpful, or the fact that it can't deal if the INI file is missing.

It isn't a Windows problem, as Microsoft uses the registry. They see as INI format as deprecated shortly after Windows 3.11 (if I am not mistaken), where when the registry was introduced.

Anyway, the problem you face is from a startup program you have. Find and remove it, and it should be fine.

If you really can't identify it, then disable all startup programs, restart your system, and see if you have the error. If still do, it can be a startup program set as a Task in task Scheduler, so check there.  And from there, enable a startup program or a set, and restart until you find the program  that shows this message.

10 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

Does it say exactly what process is trying to read the file or eve what the .ini file is or what line it can’t read? It’s pretty vague.

It's vague. I should've thought to screenshot it this morning but it just says

Read ini File Error

Error

Okay

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

INI file is a text file, used by programs to store its configuration (some uses registry instead).

It usually looks like this:

[general]
option1 = value1
option2 = value2

[some other section]
option3 = value3

Normally, a well, build program will try and solve the problem if it lacks the INI file, like make a new one with default options, or if it is a permission problem, tell the user about the problem. In this case, poor design was at play, either in the error message being non-helpful, or the fact that it can't deal if the INI file is missing.

It isn't a Windows problem, as Microsoft uses the registry. They see as INI format as deprecated shortly after Windows 3.11 (if I am not mistaken), where when the registry was introduced.

Anyway, the problem you face is from a startup program you have. Find and remove it, and it should be fine.

If you really can't identify it, then disable all startup programs, restart your system, and see if you have the error. If still do, it can be a startup program set as a Task in task Scheduler, so check there.  And from there, enable a startup program or a set, and restart until you find the program  that shows this message.

Thanks I will look into some of that stuff!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

I found that the message went away after uninstalling an outdated driver for a drawing tablet I had.