What makes a good portrait viewing monitor?

I'm looking to buy a secondary monitor (VESA compatible) to supplement my current setup. I'd like to get something that would be used almost exclusively in a portrait rotation (rotated 90 degrees).

I've noticed that some monitors have terrible viewing angles when you rotate it outside of it's "intended" viewing angle; even monitors that come with this functionality out of the box.

i.e. an OEM stand that allows 90 degree rotation.

So my questions are...

What makes a monitor a good choice as a portrait monitor?

Are certain panel types better than others? 

Anyone care to recommend (or not recommend) certain monitors for this use case?

Also, if anyone could recommend a good single monitor VESA mount, I'd appreciate it.

Get an IPS display, I tired a TN panel in portrait mode before and it looked horrible.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

What about the BenQ GW2270H? It's quite cheap and has - especially for the price - decent viewing angles(it's a VA panel).

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

17 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

What about the BenQ GW2270H? It's quite cheap and has - especially for the price - decent viewing angles(it's a VA panel).

Is this what you had in mind? It seems to be an older model or something because the price is quite high. It also doesn't seem to be VESA compatible.

IPS for color accuracy with the highest adobe rgb.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Probably Alex said:

Is this what you had in mind? It seems to be an older model or something because the price is quite high. It also doesn't seem to be VESA compatible.

It is VESA compatible. I am typing this while looking at it mounted on a VESA arm. I didn't know it's that old though, I once got it new for €100, which is why I though it'd still be cheap...

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

14 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

That definitely looks like a solid contender, especially with the 21.5" variant being only $90.