Bit confused on how to clean/prepare a new loop

Hello, Posted here before a little while ago,

I'm new to the watercooling section and getting into it right away with Primochill Vue. (I'm aware of the many issues with it)

I'm hoping on better results since it's a new loop, and try to get it as clean/prepared as I can.

Trying to follow their guide : https://keepingit.cool/vue

A list of my components can be found below if you want to peek (mostly EK), lets get to it.

• Warm Soapy Water (Use Dawn Dish Soap) 

The suggest warm soapy water, I live in the netherlands could I just use some regular Dreft?

Short story is that I have to tear apart everything I can and clean it really well.

Then the confusing part for me is the following :

Choose prep fluid and add it to the loop to check for leaks and to ensure proper configuration for the loop to move water. Use distilled water to check for leaks, drain, and move on to prep flush. If there are no leaks, start with a prep flush.  There are two types of prep flush:

• Sysprep is for loops that have never seen a coolant before, which means any aftermarket coolant with or without dye. This prep is designed to treat the loop and get it ready for new coolant. It has some properties that help with setting up a barrier for corrosion as well as microbes. 

• Sys Reboot is for loops that have seen coolant before dyed or not dyed. Reboot is effective at removing previous dyes from the loop, especially from the radiator. It also works very well on neutralizing some coolant additives that are left behind from previous coolants. Reboot also has properties to help set up a barrier for corrosion as well as microbes, eliminating the need for Sysprep.
  • Slowly add the prep fluid to your loop and avoid letting air into the system to prevent bubbles from slowing down the process. The more bubbles the more flushes are needed. Fill the reservoir, cycling the pump and repeating the process until the loop is full. is normally the best practice, for prep and the final coolant. Address leaks immediately, and if there are flow issues look at the entire loop to make sure that the coolant is flowing in the correct direction. Now it is time to let the system work its magic. We recommend running the prep for 24 - 48 hours. You may use the system during this process. After the wait period is over, drain the system and inspect the loop for any debris that may have dislodged during the flush. If all looks well it is time to do a final rinse. 

• Rinse the system until the water runs clear and is bubble free. Next, drain the system completely. The goal is to get out as much leftover fluid. Tipping the system over, back to back, and upside down will help free any fluid hiding in corners of blocks and in tops or ends of radiators. You may be surprised on how much fluid remains, so take your time.

They are talking about "prep fluid" and "prep flush" these are terms i imagine which i find a bit confusing.

No idea what they exactly mean with prep fluid but it seems I have to put it in my system for leaks.

Then again they want me to add distilled water for the same purpose?

Then they want me to use 'prep flush' so Sysprep with Distilled water. (1 bottle per 3,7 litters) mix it (shake) for 30 seconds and put it in for 24-48 hours, assuming this is once if its fairly clean else an other 24-48 hours with a new mix?

Do I rinse the system with distilled water after or is this unnecessary?

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

Now, full disclaimer. I DON'T OWN A CUSTOM LOOP! However what i can draw form the explanation is that it looks like you just have to wash the inside of the tubes with soapy water to make sure that there doesn't grow gunk and stuff in the loop when it's closed.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Parts that the fluid will be interacting with.

• EK Fittings (All kinds, but mostly trying to bend)
  • PETG 10/12
  • GPU : Asus GTX 1080ti Poseidon
  • VRM : Asus z370 Formula X
  • CPU : EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal
  • EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple)

• EK-CoolStream SE 240 (Slim Dual)

• EK-RES X3 250 RGB

• EK-XTOP Revo D5 RGB PWM - Plexi (incl. sl. pump)

• EK-RES X3 - Internal Tube 12/16 140mm

• EK-RES X3 - Multiport TOP

45 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

Hello

The detergent is mainly for washing out film from the old coolant.

As far as the instructions go, you should do the following:

- If you used any oil for bending hard tube, wash them very well with hot soapy water, followed by hot water, followed by distilled water. If you used soap/detergent, use hot water followed by distilled water.

- Assemble loop

- *in my opinion, optional* Fill system with distilled water and leak test (this is presumably to save on sysprep in case there is a leak)

- Drain distilled water, add sysprep mixture

- Run for 24-48 hours

- Drain loop

- Since people have been reporting problems with left-over sysprep, I would do a system wash with distilled water

- And then you must dry the loop completely. People have normally opted to dissassemble the loop completely to make sure everything is bone dry. (this is why the above leak test is pointless)

- Reassemble

- Fill with vue, slowly. If you have a D5 vario, good, otherwise some people have been doing it with the system on to get a PWM signal (not recommended, but may be necessary to keep the vue happy).

3 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

• EK Fittings (All kinds, but mostly trying to bend)

Also just so you know, Primochill have now decided the brass in the EK fittings is not the right-type (BS, if you ask me). So if you do have any problems, they will blame it on your fittings.

18 minutes ago, For Science! said:

- If you used any oil for bending hard tube, wash them very well with hot soapy water, followed by hot water, followed by distilled water. If you used soap/detergent, use hot water followed by distilled water.

I'll still wash them even if I don't use any oil, do I just get a bucket with something i can clean inside the tube?

And do i just flush or also tear apart the blocks?

17 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Also just so you know, Primochill have now decided the brass in the EK fittings is not the right-type (BS, if you ask me). So if you do have any problems, they will blame it on your fittings.

I keep that noted, if this fluid fails then too bad, I got my shiny RBG stuff so i'll probably switch coolant if needed.

Really want to try it out tho.

1 minute ago, Cruorzy said:

I'll still wash them even if I don't use any oil, do I just get a bucket with something i can clean inside the tube?

And do i just flush or also tear apart the blocks?

I just flush it under the tap, and then use a squirty bottle to do a rinse with distilled water. New blocks should be quite clean, so I would move them straight to the sysprep stage.

7 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I just flush it under the tap, and then use a squirty bottle to do a rinse with distilled water. New blocks should be quite clean, so I would move them straight to the sysprep stage.

Once vue breakdown, will the temps increase and actually damage anything?

Since the 1080ti Poseidon and radiators are kind of hard to break apart I want to know how long before i should take serious actions.

What would you advice cleaning the loop after Vue? 

40 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

Once vue breakdown, will the temps increase and actually damage anything?

Since the 1080ti Poseidon and radiators are kind of hard to break apart I want to know how long before i should take serious actions.

What would you advice cleaning the loop after Vue? 

The blocks will clog. At leqst in one case there was a bad build up of something on all surfaces that needed specific polishing compounds to remove.

Look here for an exanple of the damage and recovery process.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/866950-primochill-vue-reacted-badly-and-built-up/?page=3

6 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

Hello, Posted here before a little while ago,

I'm new to the watercooling section and getting into it right away with Primochill Vue. (I'm aware of the many issues with it)

I'm hoping on better results since it's a new loop, and try to get it as clean/prepared as I can.

Trying to follow their guide : https://keepingit.cool/vue

A list of my components can be found below if you want to peek (mostly EK), lets get to it.

• Warm Soapy Water (Use Dawn Dish Soap) 

The suggest warm soapy water, I live in the netherlands could I just use some regular Dreft?

Short story is that I have to tear apart everything I can and clean it really well.

Then the confusing part for me is the following :

They are talking about "prep fluid" and "prep flush" these are terms i imagine which i find a bit confusing.

No idea what they exactly mean with prep fluid but it seems I have to put it in my system for leaks.

Then again they want me to add distilled water for the same purpose?

Then they want me to use 'prep flush' so Sysprep with Distilled water. (1 bottle per 3,7 litters) mix it (shake) for 30 seconds and put it in for 24-48 hours, assuming this is once if its fairly clean else an other 24-48 hours with a new mix?

Do I rinse the system with distilled water after or is this unnecessary?

The biggest mistake all of you are making is this...

You see the issues people have with VUE and you think that you magically will be the one person who is not affected. The truth is especially if this is your first loop is that you WILL have issues and they will potentially put the rest of your components at risk.

As to cleaning your system... one of the biggest things is to just make sure you flush it for a decent amount of time. I recommend you research the "Rad dance" and make sure you do it for all of your radiators. That step alone people skip and I have seen plenty of gunk from rads that would have been fine if rad danced cause issue.

4 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

You see the issues people have with VUE and you think that you magically will be the one person who is not affected. The truth is especially if this is your first loop is that you WILL have issues and they will potentially put the rest of your components at risk.

As to cleaning your system... one of the biggest things is to just make sure you flush it for a decent amount of time.

Thanks for the useless cry, like I said i'm well aware of the issues.

4 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

I recommend you research the "Rad dance" and make sure you do it for all of your radiators. That step alone people skip and I have seen plenty of gunk from rads that would have been fine if rad danced cause issue.

I'll look it up.

1 minute ago, Cruorzy said:

Thanks for the useless cry, like I said i'm well aware of the issues.

I'll look it up.

I am not crying. I am pointing out that everyone on this forum that has tried the VUE has run in to pretty substantial issues. All of the youtube reviewers are also having issues. People all across the web have been complaining about how bad it is... even when everything is done correctly... it still has issues.

It is literally only good for going to a event with your pc and running it for a few days to look pretty... then immediately drain it... scrub and flush your system and hope your rads aren't clogged up from it.

So to do the same thing over and over and over and expect a different outcome is foolish. I am just trying to save you all the time you will be wasting in the future if you choose to go ahead with the VUE.

12 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

I am not crying. I am pointing out that everyone on this forum that has tried the VUE has run in to pretty substantial issues. All of the youtube reviewers are also having issues. People all across the web have been complaining about how bad it is... even when everything is done correctly... it still has issues.

It is literally only good for going to a event with your pc and running it for a few days to look pretty... then immediately drain it... scrub and flush your system and hope your rads aren't clogged up from it.

So to do the same thing over and over and over and expect a different outcome is foolish. I am just trying to save you all the time you will be wasting in the future if you choose to go ahead with the VUE.

Noted, but with the information i gave that I knew about the problems i hoped to ditch this subject in this topic.

You make a fair point but personally i don't like to be seen as one of a group how silly it may sound.

17 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

I don't expect to make it magical work for me, I may not even use it due the reddit thread @For Science! linked.

Since I do have a GPU which probably cannot be cleaned inside (block) and the VRM's on the Formula X z370 not sure if I can take that apart also.

I'm trying to get a feel for how much it will damage the system, I will probably use it even if I can only use it for a few weeks and replace it with an other fluid after.

Without hurting the system, specially the gpu and vrm components.

It will be a good excuse to get new fuel with an other color that match exactly with new cables I wan't to buy since i'm not really satisfied with the cablemod cables.

The downtime ain't a issue for me since I still have my beloved 2600k lying around and much gaming ain't happening either.

@For Science! Do you recommend the same cleaning process for EK Cryofuel? - (sysprep etc)

2 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

@For Science! Do you recommend the same cleaning process for EK Cryofuel? - (sysprep etc)

nah for EK-Cryofuel, just a good rinse of the radiator with hot water then distilled and maybe the blocks with just distilled (optional) is fine.

On 3/8/2018 at 5:30 AM, For Science! said:

There just trying to cover there asses now due to all the problems Vue has (Reminds me of AlphaCool Pump problem and AlphaCool blaming everything and everyone except themselves). The coolant is just plain horrible. 6 months is not enough time to create and fully test a coolant. Like I said in another thread before primochill even chimed in on this, brass has a strange reaction to the vue coolant.

------

As for cleaning I use Blitz and my own custom built filter system.

QCSS5KAl.jpg

zduP0fpl.jpg

Coolant I use now(There been a few reported issues with EK-Cryofuel).

g7ybCkwl.jpg

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

On 3/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, Revan654 said:

There just trying to cover there asses now due to all the problems Vue has (Reminds me of AlphaCool Pump problem and AlphaCool blaming everything and everyone except themselves). The coolant is just plain horrible. 6 months is not enough time to create and fully test a coolant. Like I said in another thread before primochill even chimed in on this, brass has a strange reaction to the vue coolant.

------

As for cleaning I use Blitz and my own custom built filter system.

On 3/9/2018 at 1:24 PM, For Science! said:

nah for EK-Cryofuel, just a good rinse of the radiator with hot water then distilled and maybe the blocks with just distilled (optional) is fine.

Due a accident with someone so excited by shaking the vue, it dropped..

So instead of ordering a new one i'll go with the Cryofuel Navy Blue, using Mayhems blitz pro 2 parts to clean.

Using Distilled water to clean and finally mix the concentrate with, is there anything i must use what i might be missing?

Light to prevent growth in my loop or something.

18 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

So instead of ordering a new one i'll go with the Cryofuel Navy Blue, using Mayhems blitz pro 2 parts to clean.

Using Distilled water to clean and finally mix the concentrate with, is there anything i must use what i might be missing?

No, Coolants contains everything you need. Do not add anything else like silver coil. Only UV light would help stop growth, Coolants contains everything to combat that.

30 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

As @Revan654 said above, no special precautions are necessary with EK-CryoFuel. But I would chime in and say that less is more in this case, EK-cryoFuel is already a complete mixture, do not add things like silver, or other biocides inside it, that'll just offset the balance of the premix.

3 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

NEVER USE SILVER COILS WITH NICKEL. I cannot stress this enough and have seen too many people do this, it WILL corrode and cause issues. Cryofuel has corrosion inhibitors (slows down process if something is corroding) and has biocides (will kill growth). You do not need to add anything to it!

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

On 11-3-2018 at 1:30 AM, Revan654 said:

No, Coolants contains everything you need. Do not add anything else like silver coil. Only UV light would help stop growth, Coolants contains everything to combat that.

On 11-3-2018 at 1:44 AM, For Science! said:

As @Revan654 said above, no special precautions are necessary with EK-CryoFuel. But I would chime in and say that less is more in this case, EK-cryoFuel is already a complete mixture, do not add things like silver, or other biocides inside it, that'll just offset the balance of the premix.

On 11-3-2018 at 4:56 AM, Tech22 said:

NEVER USE SILVER COILS WITH NICKEL. I cannot stress this enough and have seen too many people do this, it WILL corrode and cause issues. Cryofuel has corrosion inhibitors (slows down process if something is corroding) and has biocides (will kill growth). You do not need to add anything to it!

Thought so since their EK website had noted it, but saw a video of Jayz telling you should add those to the distilled water.

So was not sure of the Cryofuel added all thats needed :) thanks for the answers so far.

Assuming everything is arriving shortly (Wednesday) a huge drop in my wallet but totally worth the experience hopefully.

8 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

Thought so since their EK website had noted it, but saw a video of Jayz telling you should add those to the distilled water.

So was not sure of the Cryofuel added all thats needed :) thanks for the answers so far.

Assuming everything is arriving shortly (Wednesday) a huge drop in my wallet but totally worth the experience hopefully.

Take everything Jay2Cent with a grain of salt, He has been wrong many times before. It didn't help his credibility when he stated Vue coolant was flawless and had no issues.

10 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

ake everything Jay2Cent with a grain of salt, He has been wrong many times before. It didn't help his credibility when he stated Vue coolant was flawless and had no issues.

He has been wrong and admitted it at times too, and his experiences with Vue were very different than most (all).

But that doesn't mean i wouldn't trust him tho.

What he was talking about was using just plain Distilled water in a loop, I assume you need to add something then to protect your loop well.

52 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

He has been wrong and admitted it at times too, and his experiences with Vue were very different than most (all).

But that doesn't mean i wouldn't trust him tho.

What he was talking about was using just plain Distilled water in a loop, I assume you need to add something then to protect your loop well.

If you go plain distilled road I would add DazMode Protector with it, no need to add anything else.

----

Many don't trust him at all.

47 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Many don't trust him at all.

Many believe the earth is flat :)

---

I get your point but unless I see something phishy he's still trustworthy to me.