Power Supply with a 3 Pin connector

I have an old Sony Vaio VGC-RA830G, with a power supply model # DPS-400LB A, from Delta Electronics. The power supply died on the system, I did pick up a Insignia 550 Watt power supply (model: NS-PCW5508), however it's missing a 3 pin plug that plugs into the motherboard (motherboard is a model PTGO-VX Rev 1.04 or the O could be a D making it PTGD-VX Rev 1.04). The 3 pin plug is to the upper left of the 24 pin. The colors of the wires to the 3 pin are: Blue, Black & what looks to be a cream color. I searched Google to see what voltages each wire was to see if I can adapt it to a molex, etc. but couldn't find what the voltages are. Attempts to find a manual for the motherboard has come up empty except for finding out that Asus made the motherboard. I can only assume that the 3 pin is for the CPU fan next to the cooling tubes (as there's no fan above the CPU) and the case fans, but have yet to try the new power supply. 

Questions are:

1.) Does anyone know (or could help find) what the voltages are for the 3 pin?
(from looking inside the power supply, the cream colored one has Fan-M, the Black has -GND and the Blue has Fan-C printed next to the solder points.)

2.) Also, where can I connect/adapt from to supply the power needed to this port?

Thanks,

John

Probably proprietary, good luck finding a power supply that'll work with it (A regular power supply uses the ATX standard, the proprietary one doesn't, uses a weird standard)

Seems to be PSU fan control possibly? Fan-C and Fan-M might be for controlling fan inside the PSU.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Probably proprietary, good luck finding a power supply that'll work with it (A regular power supply uses the ATX standard, the proprietary one doesn't, uses a weird standard)

Seems to be PSU fan control possibly? Fan-C and Fan-M might be for controlling fan inside the PSU.

It is a proprietary one which is why I have to mod one. I figured I could adapt a 5 V leg and try that to see if it cools sufficiently, but I don't know what one to put it on (i.e.: the blue or the cream colored wire).

10 minutes ago, jthorpein said:

I have an old Sony Vaio VGC-RA830G, with a power supply model # DPS-400LB A, from Delta Electronics. The power supply died on the system, I did pick up a Insignia 550 Watt power supply (model: NS-PCW5508), however it's missing a 3 pin plug that plugs into the motherboard (motherboard is a model PTGO-VX Rev 1.04 or the O could be a D making it PTGD-VX Rev 1.04). The 3 pin plug is to the upper left of the 24 pin. The colors of the wires to the 3 pin are: Blue, Black & what looks to be a cream color. I searched Google to see what voltages each wire was to see if I can adapt it to a molex, etc. but couldn't find what the voltages are. Attempts to find a manual for the motherboard has come up empty except for finding out that Asus made the motherboard. I can only assume that the 3 pin is for the CPU fan next to the cooling tubes (as there's no fan above the CPU) and the case fans, but have yet to try the new power supply. 

Questions are:

1.) Does anyone know (or could help find) what the voltages are for the 3 pin?
(from looking inside the power supply, the cream colored one has Fan-M, the Black has -GND and the Blue has Fan-C printed next to the solder points.)

2.) Also, where can I connect/adapt from to supply the power needed to this port?

Thanks,

John

Try without that connector. At most it won't power up, but it looks like it's just a fan controller for the PSU considering the wires are labelled with the word "FAN". That's pretty impressive for an OEM.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Try without that connector. At most it won't power up, but it looks like it's just a fan controller for the PSU considering the wires are labelled with the word "FAN". That's pretty impressive for an OEM.

True, but I also don't want to fry the chipset from too much heat. I assume that the speed of the fan is controlled through the mobo. Tracing the wires after taking the old power supply apart shows on the circuit board these are what's printed next to where the wire is soldered onto the board:

Cream colored: Fan-M

Black: GND

Blue: Fan-C

But nothing about their respective voltages. I'd rather have the fan spinning at even a medium speed (even if not needed) to continue cooling the CPU, vs. overheating.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/64220/

I just called Sony at 1-800-488-7669, I gave them the model number of the computer and the sony part number off the power supply, the old part number is 1-468-851-21, the new part number is 1-468-851-24, this replaces the Delta Electronics DPS-400LB power supply that comes with the Sony VGC-RA710G, the 716G and the 718G series desktops, the price is $131.60 plus S&H, they were good at finding the part and sold to me over phone.

James

Hope one of you techies here can help this old EE out. I've got an old Sony VGC-RA910G desktop that won't turn on. I pulled the power supply (Delta Electronics part # DPS-400 LB A; Sony part # 1-468-851-11, superceded by the -14), but I think there might be a "power good" or some othe type of latching signal routed through the motherboard, so I don't know if it's the PS or MB.
Without a schematic I have to just buy and try a new ps. Sony won't help.
Does anyone have access to a schmatic they could provide me or give some hints on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Not exactly the same but very very close

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Sony-DELTA-364-7W-PC-Power-Supply-DPS-400LB-A-1-468-851-12/142700358998?epid=1628085306&hash=item21399aad56:g:piIAAOSw7J5akK1y

I look here for the connector types

https://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=Delta+DPS+400LB+400w+power+supply+1+468+851+21&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

I see blue black and white, is P2

image.thumb.png.adfbaacf1d34dc12397be9ee887b14bc.png

1 hour ago, jthorpein said:

True, but I also don't want to fry the chipset from too much heat. I assume that the speed of the fan is controlled through the mobo. Tracing the wires after taking the old power supply apart shows on the circuit board these are what's printed next to where the wire is soldered onto the board:

Cream colored: Fan-M

Black: GND

Blue: Fan-C

But nothing about their respective voltages. I'd rather have the fan spinning at even a medium speed (even if not needed) to continue cooling the CPU, vs. overheating.

The thing is that I don't think that is controlling anything other than the PSU fan. I wouldn't worry about that because most PSUs are able to self regulate themselves when it comes to thermals, they don't rely on the motherboard to tell them when to ramp up the fan. The CPU fan should have its own header on the board so it wouldn't be related to this mystery 3-pin power on the OEM PSU. 

So in summary, thermals of the CPU shouldn't be affected as it's on a separate circuit on the motherboard (unless Sony and ASUS decided to do something completely wacky and ridiculous). Your new PSU should be able to regulate itself from burning out. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

15 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I was looking at this, but my question is why is the fan grate rusted. I'm guessing because of water and if so what has the water done to the inside parts (capacitors, etc.)

Just now, jthorpein said:

I was looking at this, but my question is why is the fan grate rusted. I'm guessing because of water and if so what has the water done to the inside parts (capacitors, etc.)

Yeah I found a cheaper one which should have been the first ebay link, I double posted the same ebay link, was suppose to be two separate ones.

13 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The thing is that I don't think that is controlling anything other than the PSU fan. I wouldn't worry about that because most PSUs are able to self regulate themselves when it comes to thermals, they don't rely on the motherboard to tell them when to ramp up the fan. The CPU fan should have its own header on the board so it wouldn't be related to this mystery 3-pin power on the OEM PSU. 

So in summary, thermals of the CPU shouldn't be affected as it's on a separate circuit on the motherboard (unless Sony and ASUS decided to do something completely wacky and ridiculous). Your new PSU should be able to regulate itself from burning out. 

I'm not sure what Sony did as this psu was made specially for them. It does have a CPU fan header that has a plug with red, black & yellow wires to the plug, but there's also another fan header that has a white, black and red wires going to the plug and that fan sits on top of the hdd cage that holds up to 3 hdd's. I'm more concerned with frying the CPU than the new power supply.

9 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yeah I found a cheaper one which should have been the first ebay link, I double posted the same ebay link, was suppose to be two separate ones.

I did a Best Offer on the second link you posted, but he won't accept $45 even though it's a used 400 W psu and from what I see in the pictures it's missing the case screws as well as the psu fan screws.

Also, it may be a white, blue & black wire for the P2 connector and it may be because of age that mine looks like it's a cream color. The wires are in the same order as the one in the picture.

OK I see what I did there, I just gave a link for the ebay search

This link has the blue, black white, and is cheaper. It is a different psu with lower wattage, most likely a different shape. Cannot see a 20 pin connector.

Sony Delta DPS-295AB A REV:01 - 1-468-709-22 - 295.4W Power Supply

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Delta-DPS-295AB-A-REV-01-1-468-709-22-295-4W-Power-Supply/302608391996?hash=item4674dd9f3c:g:R34AAOSwqvNaYiEn

Has the 20 pin connector, and I do see the black, white, blue wires, but lower wattage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Delta-DPS-295AB-A-1-468-709-22-23-295-4W-Power-Supply/122681015677?hash=item1c905bbd7d:g:mugAAOSwOfdZqXF7

This one is very close to your original.

I can see a 3 wire connector hidden, that might be a white or a yellow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-39Y7329-39Y7330-400W-POWER-Supply-DPS-400MB-1-A/112829042990?hash=item1a4522912e:g:YioAAOSwMEtajeiw

Its cheap, so maybe get the seller to take better pictures of the wiring.

Or just bite the bullet and pay the high price of an exact matching psu.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

OK I see what I did there, I just gave a link for the ebay search

This link has the blue, black white, and is cheaper. It is a different psu with lower wattage, most likely a different shape. Cannot see a 20 pin connector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Delta-DPS-295AB-A-REV-01-1-468-709-22-295-4W-Power-Supply/302608391996?hash=item4674dd9f3c:g:R34AAOSwqvNaYiEn

Has the 20 pin connector, and I do see the black, white, blue wires, but lower wattage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Delta-DPS-295AB-A-1-468-709-22-23-295-4W-Power-Supply/122681015677?hash=item1c905bbd7d:g:mugAAOSwOfdZqXF7

This one is very close to your original.

I can see a 3 wire connector hidden, that might be a white or a yellow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-39Y7329-39Y7330-400W-POWER-Supply-DPS-400MB-1-A/112829042990?hash=item1a4522912e:g:YioAAOSwMEtajeiw

Its cheap, so maybe get the seller to take better pictures of the wiring.

Or just bite the bullet and pay the high price of an exact matching psu.

Well that one won't work if it's just a 20 pin as mine is a 24 pin plus it uses an additional 4 pin to the mobo. I did connect all but the 3 pin on the new psu and it came up with a CMOS error (wrong date and time) and it also showed "Power Fan is abnormal" ... attached images. Just having it on for a couple minutes, it looks like the CPU is staying around 60 to 62 C, don't know if it'll stay that way being on for like an hour or more.

IMG_6935.JPG

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

3 minutes ago, jthorpein said:

Well that one won't work if it's just a 20 pin as mine is a 24 pin plus it uses an additional 4 pin to the mobo. I did connect all but the 3 pin on the new psu and it came up with a CMOS error (wrong date and time) and it also showed "Power Fan is abnormal" ... attached images. Just having it on for a couple minutes, it looks like the CPU is staying around 60 to 62 C, don't know if it'll stay that way being on for like an hour or more.

IMG_6935.JPG

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

Also, since it's labeled "Power Fan" I assume that the BIOS verify's the PSU fan is running via the 3 pin connector ... but you know what they say about assuming. (and this is a total guess on my part)

2 minutes ago, jthorpein said:

Well that one won't work if it's just a 20 pin as mine is a 24 pin plus it uses an additional 4 pin to the mobo.

yeah 24 pin not 20 pin, those are I would believe, I did not count.

Interesting

If we only know what those wires voltages were we'd be ahead of the game.