Office pc insides in a gaming pc case

I was thinking about upgrading some parts on my pc and one of them was the case, would it be possible to put a pre built hp office pc into a gaming pc case

3 minutes ago, frozenboi810 said:

I was thinking about upgrading some parts on my pc and one of them was the case, would it be possible to put a pre built hp office pc into a gaming pc case

In most cases (pun intended) this shouldn't be a problem unless it's one of those ancient office pcs that has different ports and such.

Get a cheapo £20 case

Office PC's like Dells and HPs like to use proprietary form factors. This isn't ALWAYS the case, sometimes it is standard which would allow you to do this.

Really though if I were you I'd like to do the opposite. I'm spoiled by SSD performance. Dealing with HDDs and slower processors is annoying now. So I'd install high grade components in an office case so I can have my performance and nobody would know. "Sleeper PC" people seem to be calling them.

14 minutes ago, frozenboi810 said:

In your case, there may be one thing you may wanna look out for. Pre-builts have been known to use non-standard motherboards, thusly making it rather difficult to move the guts into a different case or build inside of one of their cases.

A lot of pre-builts don't use traditional ATX/mATX form factors, which can make it hard to gut a pre-built and put it in an aftermarket case. Another upgrade to consider would be adding an SSD as using your normal hard drive for mass storage.

-Moved to New Builds and Planning-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I havent run into form factor issues in so long as you start with a tower, but they all tend to use proprietary connectors for front I/o, fans, switches, usb headers, etc. 

I did this for my cheap pc, thought it would take me an hour or two, ended up taking 3 days working 3-4 hours each day to solder the headers and make a custom I/o panel and get rid of all of the boot warnings.

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

A lot of pre-builts don't use traditional ATX/mATX form factors, which can make it hard to gut a pre-built and put it in an aftermarket case. Another upgrade to consider would be adding an SSD as using your normal hard drive for mass storage.

-Moved to New Builds and Planning-

alot of the prebuilts i saw off eBay have standard ATX/M-ATX layouts, but the I/O connector usually turns out to be proprietary so you'd have to look up the pin layout(if you're lucky enough to have those).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W