ASUS VG248QE - 2 questions

Ruttlik

Hey there,

I have a bit of knowledge about all the ports and the 144hz situation but I have 2 questions.

Question 1:

I currently own a Asus VG248QE and have that plugged into my GeForce GTX 970 through a Dual Link DVI-D connection and works perfectly fine. I've been wanting to buy another monitor (the same one) and was wondering how I would connect that one into the GeForce GTX 970 aswell as my other one so that I would have 1920x1080 resolution and 144hz on both monitors.

Question 2:

I currently own a Asus VG248QE and have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop. That laptop only has a HDMI and a USB-C port. As far as I know you can't reach 1920x1080 144hz through HDMI so my question is. Is there any way to connect my ASUS VG248QE to my laptop through a USB-C by using some sort of adapter/converter and still get to see 1920x1080 144hz on the monitor?

Thank you for any help!

Hey, as for Q1, I'd just use DisplayPort for best compatibility, just keep in mind that a GTX 970 can struggle to keep up a high fps on double 1080p monitors, depending on what you want to play and on what settings.

With regards to question 2, the Y520 has USB-C, but from what I can see in the specs on Lenovo website, it's only a USB-C 3.0, so it won't have enough bandwidth to do 1080p@144hz, it won't even get you 120hz. From what I could find the HDMI port on your laptop should be HDMI 1.4, so that would be enough to get you 1080p@120hz. If I were you I'd just get an HDMI 1.4 compatible cable and test it, even if it dosn't work an HDMI cable can always come in handy for something else.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Ruttlik said:

Hey there,

I have a bit of knowledge about all the ports and the 144hz situation but I have 2 questions.

Question 1:

I currently own a Asus VG248QE and have that plugged into my GeForce GTX 970 through a Dual Link DVI-D connection and works perfectly fine. I've been wanting to buy another monitor (the same one) and was wondering how I would connect that one into the GeForce GTX 970 aswell as my other one so that I would have 1920x1080 resolution and 144hz on both monitors.

Question 2:

I currently own a Asus VG248QE and have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop. That laptop only has a HDMI and a USB-C port. As far as I know you can't reach 1920x1080 144hz through HDMI so my question is. Is there any way to connect my ASUS VG248QE to my laptop through a USB-C by using some sort of adapter/converter and still get to see 1920x1080 144hz on the monitor?

Thank you for any help!

You can use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter, if the USB-C port has video output capability. This is an optional feature and is not support by all USB-C ports.

21 minutes ago, Arttu89 said:

Hey, as for Q1, I'd just use DisplayPort for best compatibility, just keep in mind that a GTX 970 can struggle to keep up a high fps on double 1080p monitors, depending on what you want to play and on what settings.

With regards to question 2, the Y520 has USB-C, but from what I can see in the specs on Lenovo website, it's only a USB-C 3.0, so it won't have enough bandwidth to do 1080p@144hz, it won't even get you 120hz. From what I could find the HDMI port on your laptop should be HDMI 1.4, so that would be enough to get you 1080p@120hz. If I were you I'd just get an HDMI 1.4 compatible cable and test it, even if it dosn't work an HDMI cable can always come in handy for something else.

Hope this helps.

HDMI does not require full bandwidth to be implemented, so you cannot tell if a device supports 120+ Hz or not just from the HDMI version. The VG248QE's HDMI port is limited to 60 Hz.

9 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

You can use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter, if the USB-C port has video output capability. This is an optional feature and is not support by all USB-C ports.

HDMI does not require full bandwidth to be implemented, so you cannot tell if a device supports 120+ Hz or not just from the HDMI version. The VG248QE's HDMI port is limited to 60 Hz.

My bad, I didn't check the spec on the monitor inputs, you're right.