Chrome = Resource Hog

ILFE

Hi,

Does anyone know why Chrome uses so much memory? Is there a way to streamline it to where it will not do this? Or, is my only option to use another browser? 

5a9d107f6d1db_Screenshot2018-03-0510_00.48(2).png.672c1b1d2557fead219b301cc193820e.png

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!

1 minute ago, ModuleLFS said:

What do you expect when you have 38 tabs open! 

Those numbers are off, believe it or not. I only have about 17 windows open.

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!

Just now, RollinLower said:

that being said, chrome is one of the worst offenders in this regard

It certainly seems like it.

Try looking at chromes task manager with Shift+Tab+Esc and see whats using it all, could just be an extension using most of it.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

6 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

What do you expect when you have 38 tabs open! 

It's showing 30 open now, and I am down to 9 tabs.

I haven't used Firefox or anything else for years so don't know what memory they use in comparison but I've never had an issue with it when I was with 8gigs of RAM, even less now with 16. If it bothers you that much you can use a different browser. 

8 minutes ago, ILFE said:

Those numbers are off, believe it or not. I only have about 17 windows open.

you have 38 processes not 38 tabs open.

Just now, ModuleLFS said:

If it bothers you that much you can use a different browser.

Don't get me wrong here. It isn't a major issue. It never even locks up or anything. (I too, run 16 gigs of RAM.) I was just curious if there was a way to make it use fewer resources. 

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

you have 38 processes not 38 tabs open.

Thanks. I didn't realize that at first. I went in and disabled addons extensions, to see if that helped. I guess some of those use more than I thought they would.

It's all good, now. Thanks for the advice, regarding the extensions. Not all of the resources, I'm sure. But, it helped a great deal to disable them. 

Just now, ILFE said:

Thanks. I didn't realize that at first. I went in and disabled add ons, to see if that helped. I guess some of those use more than I thought they would.

yes, things like extensions can have an impact, but also some sites are heavier than others. You could have a problem or not, with browsers it's not easy to know. I guess installing clean firefox and open the same tabs and compare, maybe can give an idea. But Chrome loves is ram :)

7 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

If it bothers you that much you can use a different browser. 

Ya know, the more I think about this, the more I realize that was absolutely useless advice.

If someone asks for assistance such as this, I realize it is easy to just tell them to use a different browser. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to sort that out. But, wouldn't it be a hell of a lot more beneficial to offer a solution to the issue at hand, than to just suggest they walk away from it completely?

Personally, I like Chrome okay. I would like to keep using it, which is why I asked for advice here today. 

5 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Chrome loves is ram

It does seem rather fond of it, for sure.

Thanks.