Dual Monitor Setup Question

DropDeadLing
Hi

I have been looking for a dual monitor setup since I stream on twitch I just think it make things much easier with two monitors. I am currently using the Asus ROG STRIX 1070 8GB OC (overclocked to 1926mhz) with i7 7700K (overclocked to 4.8GHz). I am looking for two 27 inch curved monitors that I could comfortably play most games in ultra setting at 100-144fps (Games like Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Warframe, Fortnite,etc., and I do not plan on gaming on both monitor, 1 game and 1 stream). I am not sure if I should go to 1440p or stay at 1080p. Also I don't know if I should get monitor with G-sync(Primarily because I still don't quite understand what it does). Lastly my budget is under $1000 CAD per monitor. And if it helps too I have been looking at the Asus PG278Q, Samsung C27FG70, or the flat Benq xl2730z

How big of a jump it would be from 1080p to 1440p in term of FPS drop goes?

Thank you for all the help

My 980Ti was getting 65-80FPS at 1080p on Ultra in Witcher 3 with Hairworks, which is comparable to a 1070. A friend of mine with a 1070 sees about the same. By dropping settings I was able to easily break 100 FPS with mostly Medium and a few High settings and no Hairworks.

I moved from a 1080p panel to a BenQ GW2765(1440p 60Hz) and I manage 60+ FPS in Witcher 3 with high-ultra settings and no more Hairworks. I drop into the mid-high 50s frequently.

I don't have any good information regarding curved panel usage, but hopefully that should give you some information on what to expect FPS wise from your card.

Gsync is a variable refresh rate technology that causes your monitor to adaptively display frames according to how many FPS you are actively getting. If you have a 120Hz Gsync Panel and are using Gsync, but only getting 90FPS in your game, your panel will update 90 times per second. This is to eliminate screen tearing and create a MUCH smoother gameplay appearance without the performance hit from Vsync. AMD's FreeSync works similarly.

EDIT: It's a lot more effective at lower frame rates than those in my example, especially to eyes trained for 60 or more FPS.

since you stream to twitch you really dont want to have a 1440p monitor because most of your viewers will have 1080p or 4k you want the same.

if you really want to spend so much money get a decent 4k monitor to play on that you can set to 1080p for games so your PC can handle it.

for the 2nd monitor it doesnt really matter what you get and you could probably simply use the monitor you already have.

9 hours ago, smittywits said:

My 980Ti was getting 65-80FPS at 1080p on Ultra in Witcher 3 with Hairworks, which is comparable to a 1070. A friend of mine with a 1070 sees about the same. By dropping settings I was able to easily break 100 FPS with mostly Medium and a few High settings and no Hairworks.

I moved from a 1080p panel to a BenQ GW2765(1440p 60Hz) and I manage 60+ FPS in Witcher 3 with high-ultra settings and no more Hairworks. I drop into the mid-high 50s frequently.

I don't have any good information regarding curved panel usage, but hopefully that should give you some information on what to expect FPS wise from your card.

Gsync is a variable refresh rate technology that causes your monitor to adaptively display frames according to how many FPS you are actively getting. If you have a 120Hz Gsync Panel and are using Gsync, but only getting 90FPS in your game, your panel will update 90 times per second. This is to eliminate screen tearing and create a MUCH smoother gameplay appearance without the performance hit from Vsync. AMD's FreeSync works similarly.

EDIT: It's a lot more effective at lower frame rates than those in my example, especially to eyes trained for 60 or more FPS.

Oh okay. To be honest for single player games I do not mind going down to 60fps. I just want to make sure I can continue playing Overwatch at 120+fps with a 1440p monitor.

2 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

since you stream to twitch you really dont want to have a 1440p monitor because most of your viewers will have 1080p or 4k you want the same.

if you really want to spend so much money get a decent 4k monitor to play on that you can set to 1080p for games so your PC can handle it.

for the 2nd monitor it doesnt really matter what you get and you could probably simply use the monitor you already have.

Isn't there is a way to downscale 1440p to 1080p output on OBS output setting?

possibly yes but downscaleing will take additional computing power and also will not look as good as 1080p Natively