Cablemod RGB-UV strip help?

Go to solution Solved by CableMod,

@Shaaaddoooww looks like you may have gotten one of the old strips paired with the new pin assignment. We changed the pin assignment for out of box compatibility with RGB Fusion enabled boards. Please email Support@CableMod.com and we will get a new strip sent out to replace the old pin assignment strip, very sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello! I ordered a cablemod widebeam RGB-UV strip thinking I could connect it right onto my asus MOBO and have everything be all good, however it turns out that the UV/W strips aren't exactly supported >:( since the strips are 5 pin and my motherboard is a 4 pin. I can't seem to find any adapters Nor have I had any luck with finding cablemods 5 pin controller. Is there anyway I can power the UV portion by itself, or what else would I need to buy? 

All I'd like is the UV portion to always be on.

Thanks!

CPU Intel i7 8700k | Motherboard ASUS Z370-E | RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB(8x 2GB) | GPU Asus Strix 1080ti | Case Corsair 570X | Storage Samsung 960 NVME M.2, Intel 530 240GB ssd, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Corsair AX1200iCooling XSPC Photon 270 reservoir, D5 pump, Raystorm cpu block, and an EX360 rad | Keyboard Corsair k70 rgb | MousLogitech Proteus Spectrum rgb

21 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

get the pin layout, voltage and make shure the ground is the same

after this solder two pins direct to a molex connector and add a protection diode

@CableMod Any info?

CPU Intel i7 8700k | Motherboard ASUS Z370-E | RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB(8x 2GB) | GPU Asus Strix 1080ti | Case Corsair 570X | Storage Samsung 960 NVME M.2, Intel 530 240GB ssd, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Corsair AX1200iCooling XSPC Photon 270 reservoir, D5 pump, Raystorm cpu block, and an EX360 rad | Keyboard Corsair k70 rgb | MousLogitech Proteus Spectrum rgb

2 hours ago, Shaaaddoooww said:

-SNIP-

You shouldn't have both RGB and UV sections on at the same time, UV lights are most effective in dark application with no light other than UV and just reactive components.

As for controlling there are 5 pin controllers such as theses in their kits which are both for RGBW and RGB-UV LED strips.

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-hybrid-led-kit-30cm/

@Shaaaddoooww you would need the RGB/UV kit if you have an ASUS board due to their boards utilizing either 3 pin or 4 pin addressable or standard LED headers, the 5-pin compatible headers are typically found on Gigabyte/Aorus boards with RGB Fusion. You would need one of our kits for proper control if you don't have a compatible header though.

1 hour ago, CableMod said:

@Shaaaddoooww you would need the RGB/UV kit if you have an ASUS board due to their boards utilizing either 3 pin or 4 pin addressable or standard LED headers, the 5-pin compatible headers are typically found on Gigabyte/Aorus boards with RGB Fusion. You would need one of our kits for proper control if you don't have a compatible header though.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, W-L said:

You shouldn't have both RGB and UV sections on at the same time, UV lights are most effective in dark application with no light other than UV and just reactive components.

As for controlling there are 5 pin controllers such as theses in their kits which are both for RGBW and RGB-UV LED strips.

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-hybrid-led-kit-30cm/

Thank you!

On 3/3/2018 at 4:18 PM, Shaaaddoooww said:

Hello! I ordered a cablemod widebeam RGB-UV strip thinking I could connect it right onto my asus MOBO and have everything be all good, however it turns out that the UV/W strips aren't exactly supported >:( since the strips are 5 pin and my motherboard is a 4 pin. I can't seem to find any adapters Nor have I had any luck with finding cablemods 5 pin controller. Is there anyway I can power the UV portion by itself, or what else would I need to buy? 

All I'd like is the UV portion to always be on.

Thanks!

If all you want is to power just the UV section. you need to find the 12V and the GND wires. Once located you have run the two wires into any device that has both 12V and GND section to it's header. Fan header, Molex, or even Custom Wire from your PSU will all work. If it uses the standard lighting setup it will light up the UV section without any issues.

it might just be easier to buy UV LED Strips. Not to mention you don't want to be using RGB section while using UV. UV works best in dark environments. On my system I built a Dual lighting system(Separate strips), and can easily switch from UV to RGB if needed. I have no idea what wavelength there UV is set to nor if it's Blacklight enabled. You want something in the 395 to 400nm, dipping below 360nm can be dangerous for your eyes.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

@CableMod Nowwww I'm really confused. The extension strip doesn't match the kit? 

20180304_175010.jpg

@Shaaaddoooww looks like you may have gotten one of the old strips paired with the new pin assignment. We changed the pin assignment for out of box compatibility with RGB Fusion enabled boards. Please email Support@CableMod.com and we will get a new strip sent out to replace the old pin assignment strip, very sorry for the inconvenience.

4 hours ago, CableMod said:

No worries. Thanks for the fast response :)

8 hours ago, Revan654 said:

you just need to soldering the 12V and W pads to get the UV working.

Will definitely mess with this after I get my new strip if they don't want me to send the mismatched one back.

13 hours ago, Shaaaddoooww said:

Will definitely mess with this after I get my new strip if they don't want me to send the mismatched one back.

I doubt it, It would cost to much to send it back to china then to tell you to keep it and eat the cost.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

• 9 months later...

Hey Shadow. How wide are these bad boys? Trying to fit in the Dan A4 SFX case, and space is limited. Might end up with the thinner RGB only cables

11 hours ago, THeRoSSMaCHiNE said:

Hey Shadow. How wide are these bad boys? Trying to fit in the Dan A4 SFX case, and space is limited. Might end up with the thinner RGB only cables

@THeRoSSMaCHiNE 14mm wide for the hybrid LEDs. :)