Looking For Notebook w/ Dedicated Graphics On the "Cheap"

So I've really been having trouble finding the machine right for me. I do have an old FX-8350 build w/ 2 RX 470's, which is pretty capable, though I'm seriously thinking about upgrading when "Zen 2" comes out, which will hopefully be in the coming months.

Anyway, that's a pretty nice setup for home, but I'd also like to take some horsepower on the go. Right now I'm running an older Dell I got used w/ an i3-4010u. It's fine for what I use it for, but naturally gaming is extremely limited, and with only a few hours of battery life and its large 15.6"-class body, it's not exactly mobile...

I'm really trying to find a solid notebook/ultrabook with a dedicated GPU that has a decent GPU and CPU. I'd like to be able to play games at low-medium settings at 1080p. A reasonably light package that I can use on the go as well as my main laptop at home, would be fantastic as well. So I've really been considering the Acer Swift 3 w/ i5-8250u as well as MX150 graphics. Like I said, I'm not looking at doing a whole lot of gaming on the go, but the capability to do some decent gaming is nice. I think the MX150 is capable for my needs.

Ideally, I'd LOVE something with something like the i5-8250u as well as a 1050, but graphics wise, that's likely more than I'll need, and it seems just that kind of upgrade adds some weight and cost to the laptop anyway...

It seems like 8 hours of normal usage is normal for the Swift 3, and that's pretty impressive for its specs and relatively small battery, but is there anything better for like not that much more money, still remains relatively light, and also boasts somewhat better GPU?

I'm probably asking for a lot. If nothing like that exists within a $750-$800 price range, maybe I should just go with the Swift 3 I've been looking at? It looks great, has enough ports for my usage, backlit keyboard is nice, and the lack of the "gamer red" that I hate won't be interfering here... But I'm just torn. Afterall, it's a decent sized purchase and I do want to be sure I'm getting something I'll be happy with for at least a couple years... 

Swift 3 is a good choice but there may be better choices. Could you provide some links of online stores in your country?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I'm using an Asus Zenbook UX303. It's a few years old now, and only has a 940mx, but it's an AMAZING laptop. Super portable and sleek, absolutely silent, and more than fast enough for my needs, and didn't cost me a fortune. The new models have MX150 graphics, so if I were you I would look at the UX430 or similar. Assuming the quality hasn't gone down, you just can't go wrong with it. 

Main Rig:

Spoiler

To be upgraded...

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.8 Ghz

COOLER: NZXT Kraken x61

GPU: Asus Strix 980ti

M.2: Samsung 960 evo 500gb

SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb

HDD: WD Black 3tb

PSU: Corsair RM1000

CASE: NZXT H440

HTPC:

Spoiler

Put together for about the equivalent of 200$

Will make a custom case buildlog when time allows.

CPU: i5 2320 @ 3.0 Ghz

COOLER: Noctua L9i

GPU: EVGA 950 SC

SSD: Samsung 850 evo

HDD: 2x WD Green 1tb

PSU: Some old noname shitbox

CASE: Some old HP shitbox

4 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Swift 3 is a good choice but there may be better choices. Could you provide some links of online stores in your country?

I'm in the U.S., so the major stores should be good to go most likely. 

4 hours ago, cHubbyFker said:

I'm using an Asus Zenbook UX303. It's a few years old now, and only has a 940mx, but it's an AMAZING laptop. Super portable and sleek, absolutely silent, and more than fast enough for my needs, and didn't cost me a fortune. The new models have MX150 graphics, so if I were you I would look at the UX430 or similar. Assuming the quality hasn't gone down, you just can't go wrong with it. 

Problem is, the Zenbook with identical specs cost about $250 more... And don't get me wrong, Zenbooks are aesthetically gorgeous and they really exert serious quality. At the same time... The Acer Swift 3 is only a half pound heavier, sacrifices maybe an hour of battery life, and in my opinion looks pretty great as well. And while 13.3" is great for being on the go, I feel a slightly larger 14" screen might benefit me as my overall laptop for all situations...

I think it seems like you're getting what you pay for when it comes to excellent build quality, but the Zenbook even seems to sacrifice a couple ports as well. If I were on the go more often than I am, I might make the extra investment. But for my own usage, it hasn't impressed me any more than the Swift 3 has... 

1 hour ago, bmichaels556 said:

Problem is, the Zenbook with identical specs cost about $250 more... And don't get me wrong, Zenbooks are aesthetically gorgeous and they really exert serious quality. At the same time... The Acer Swift 3 is only a half pound heavier, sacrifices maybe an hour of battery life, and in my opinion looks pretty great as well. And while 13.3" is great for being on the go, I feel a slightly larger 14" screen might benefit me as my overall laptop for all situations...

I think it seems like you're getting what you pay for when it comes to excellent build quality, but the Zenbook even seems to sacrifice a couple ports as well. If I were on the go more often than I am, I might make the extra investment. But for my own usage, it hasn't impressed me any more than the Swift 3 has... 

Yeah, the zenbook is definitely a fair bit more expensive. To be honest, though, it's not an exorbitant price point considering the stats. The zenbook is 14", while in the same 13" basic shell that mine is in. You usually pay a larger premium for downsizing. The extra 250$ is well worth the size reduction and thermal engineering that has gone into it, to me at least!

The swift looks great, though. so I don't think you'll regret it in the least :)

Main Rig:

Spoiler

To be upgraded...

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.8 Ghz

COOLER: NZXT Kraken x61

GPU: Asus Strix 980ti

M.2: Samsung 960 evo 500gb

SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb

HDD: WD Black 3tb

PSU: Corsair RM1000

CASE: NZXT H440

HTPC:

Spoiler

Put together for about the equivalent of 200$

Will make a custom case buildlog when time allows.

CPU: i5 2320 @ 3.0 Ghz

COOLER: Noctua L9i

GPU: EVGA 950 SC

SSD: Samsung 850 evo

HDD: 2x WD Green 1tb

PSU: Some old noname shitbox

CASE: Some old HP shitbox

1 hour ago, cHubbyFker said:

Yeah, the zenbook is definitely a fair bit more expensive. To be honest, though, it's not an exorbitant price point considering the stats. The zenbook is 14", while in the same 13" basic shell that mine is in. You usually pay a larger premium for downsizing. The extra 250$ is well worth the size reduction and thermal engineering that has gone into it, to me at least!

The swift looks great, though. so I don't think you'll regret it in the least :)

I think for right now, before I make my purchase, I really want to be able to hold both laptops in my hands. I think just at the price-point, the Swift 3 will do the trick. But I don't doubt that I'll be really impressed by the quality of the Zenbook and who knows, I may just shell out the extra cash if I like it enough!

As far as quality, my only real measure of a high-quality laptop is something like a Mac. And it's like, you just pick up the thing, type on it for a few seconds and despite shortcomings of a mac, you can really feel the build quality. Would you say your Zenbook as given you a similar experience in that way?

Zenbooks have better display than Swift 3 and they are lighter. Some aspects also may differ but it depends on model. However, Ultrabooks with MX150 are often equipped with low powered 8W MX150 while Swift 3 has full blown 25W MX150.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

From what I see, Swift 3 is the only choice if you need portability, battery life and MX150 GPU performance. Zenbook UX330UA also a good choice if you can sacrifice GPU performance for better display, slightly better battery life and more portability.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

If I didn't need the extra battery life and portability, I would seriously consider going with the Aspire 5 (same specs basically, with bigger but not as good screen, less battery life, a little heftier and overall less quality built).

But damn, for someone who wants a solid laptop for home/office use and only occasionally want to lug it around, the Aspire 5 is a crazy-good bargain at like $550. 8 thread CPU rivaling desktops from just a few years ago, and a dedicated GPU? This is an amazing time to be alive for tech!

Come to think of it, my mom's been needing a laptop... I'm seriously considering this for her. Austin did a video on it below. 

Aspire 5 is good, however you need to know its weaknesses before buying. Check my review.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Aspire 5 is good, however you need to know its weaknesses before buying. Check my review.

Checked out your review, really good. Thanks for that!