10Gb to 10Gb

techdiode
Go to solution Solved by ltguy,
On 2/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, techdiode said:

I have a router with the DHCP connected to another NIC on the NAS. I bridged the internet NIC with 10GB NIC on the NAS. The switch I mentioned I just patched between the two PCs to see if I had a bad cable. There are no Xs with the switch between. Remove it and have a direct connection it doesn't work. I will configure as you have mentioned. Thanks. 

I disagree with all the previous advice. I've bridged connections in windows tons of times and the dhcp from the first connection will assign ip's to all devices on the second. That's the point of bridging the connections. Your problem may be that you need a crossover cable for a direct connection vice patch cables that are used for connecting to switches.

I bought an Intel 10Gb RJ45 Nic for my NAS PC.

My desktop has an Aquantia 10Gb nic built in. (Asrock X399)

I bridged the internet on the NAS with the 10Gb nic. Problem is when I connect both Nics on the two computers both have an X over the adapter like they aren't plugged in.

If I take that same cable and plug it into a switch and then into the second machine both Xs disappear. (I can't run like this because I need the full 10Gb and the switch is only Gb)

Is there something I need to toggle on the NAS bridge for link detection etc? Why would it show up with a switch between and not PC to PC?

Running windows 10 Pro on both.

5 minutes ago, techdiode said:

-snip-

You have to manually assign an IP address when direct connecting them. They share the same subnet mask. 

Make sure this dedicated 10Gb IP address are in a different subnet than the internet connection. 

Hmm, is the switch connected to a router? or a managed L3 type switch?

Drivers installed for both?

If you're direct connecting them, you need to make sure they're on a different subnet to the 1Gb links into the main network/LAN with internet access. 

So each NIC needs an IP address assigned that are both on the same subnet, but a different subnet to the main network.

For example, if your main network is 192.168.1.x/24, then you could have the two NICs using basically anything other than 192.168.1.x so long as it's in a private address range. So you could go for 192.168.10.x/24. 

I'd personally go for something completely different, like 10.10.10.x/24 (or /8 if you want to keep it class A for some reason) to make them easier to tell apart. 

So you could have NIC 1 as 10.10.10.10/24 and the other as 10.10.10.20/24. Then the direct connect will work. Then you just have to have them connected into the 1Gb network in order to give them internet access.

EDIT: No need for bridging connections. You just have two connections on each machine. One for the direct connect 10GbE and the other to link into the rest of the network. 

EDIT 2: If you really want to make it simple and seemless, consider going for something like a Netgear GS110EMX, which is an 8x 1Gbps and 2x 10Gbps port switch and fairly cheap (compared to full 10GbE switches at least)

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

You have to manually assign an IP address when direct connecting them. They share the same subnet mask. 

Make sure this dedicated 10Gb IP address are in a different subnet than the internet connection. 

Hmm, is the switch connected to a router? or a managed L3 type switch?

Drivers installed for both?

I have a router with the DHCP connected to another NIC on the NAS. I bridged the internet NIC with 10GB NIC on the NAS. The switch I mentioned I just patched between the two PCs to see if I had a bad cable. There are no Xs with the switch between. Remove it and have a direct connection it doesn't work. I will configure as you have mentioned. Thanks. 

On 2/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, techdiode said:

I disagree with all the previous advice. I've bridged connections in windows tons of times and the dhcp from the first connection will assign ip's to all devices on the second. That's the point of bridging the connections. Your problem may be that you need a crossover cable for a direct connection vice patch cables that are used for connecting to switches.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

On 3/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, ltguy said:

I agree. I didn't have to do what was recommended. I had to disable wait for link to get them to see each other which confirms your solution.