SmartPlug with Ethernet

Hello peepz,

I'm looking for a affordable solution to monitor my energy consumption on the wall socket that doesn't use WIFI. I've purchased "TP-Link HS110 (EU) Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring" and I'm not really satisfied due to the wifi issues. Does anyone know a product that does the same thing, but has/uses an ethernet port? I wouldn't want to spend more than $40, the cheaper the better. Thanks in advance!

I don't believe one exists. A cord instantly makes a device un-smart. You might be able to find a dedicated device to monitor the energy, but it's likely more than $40.

I use Centralite plugs through Samsung's SmartThings hub. It mainly records power over the last hour or so, but I've had no wifi issues.

28 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I don't believe one exists. A cord instantly makes a device un-smart. You might be able to find a dedicated device to monitor the energy, but it's likely more than $40.

I use Centralite plugs through Samsung's SmartThings hub. It mainly records power over the last hour or so, but I've had no wifi issues.

Well, here's one https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5701_RE270K.html  .. The thing is, I'm not the biggest fan of TP-Link so I was wondering if there are any alternatives?

1 hour ago, Gomo said:

Well, here's one https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5701_RE270K.html  .. The thing is, I'm not the biggest fan of TP-Link so I was wondering if there are any alternatives?

Guess I didn't understand what you meant by "wifi issues." I thought you were having troubles connecting with the Kasa app to get your results.

The new plug you linked still requires a wifi connection to function, and then you can wire it to your device.

You can also look at powerline adapters. They transfer wifi signals through your power lines without wifi. There are some limitations, but they mostly work, and they work well. It is a fully wired connection, so the ping time is greatly reduced, but the max transfer speed can be slower than wifi. In short, it's great for some light streaming and surfing, but not so great for downloading.

38 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Guess I didn't understand what you meant by "wifi issues." I thought you were having troubles connecting with the Kasa app to get your results.

The new plug you linked still requires a wifi connection to function, and then you can wire it to your device.

You can also look at powerline adapters. They transfer wifi signals through your power lines without wifi. There are some limitations, but they mostly work, and they work well. It is a fully wired connection, so the ping time is greatly reduced, but the max transfer speed can be slower than wifi. In short, it's great for some light streaming and surfing, but not so great for downloading.

I'm not looking for a wifi repeater, rather a power consumption measuring device which uses ethernet to communicate.

1 hour ago, Gomo said:

power consumption measuring device which uses ethernet to communicate.

Communicate with what?

John, this is your mom! Please stop writing this silly stuff, do your homework instead and go to bed now!

P.S. Your mommy loves you! :* :):P 

Spoiler
Spoiler

car spoiler

57 minutes ago, JohnTs Mum said:

John, this is your mom! Please stop writing this silly stuff, do your homework instead and go to bed now!

P.S. Your mommy loves you! :* :):P 

Haha what?? Homewerk is four smart person

6 hours ago, Gomo said:

Hello peepz,

I'm looking for a affordable solution to monitor my energy consumption on the wall socket that doesn't use WIFI. I've purchased "TP-Link HS110 (EU) Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring" and I'm not really satisfied due to the wifi issues. Does anyone know a product that does the same thing, but has/uses an ethernet port? I wouldn't want to spend more than $40, the cheaper the better. Thanks in advance!

Yeah dont know of any. Not sure what 100% your looking for in terms of logs. I know a UPS can tell you how much draw you have and it can communicate via a Computer using USB.I know for a fact I seen some one who hooked a USB cable from the UPS to a router and had "network" monitoring, but a at least my USP doesnt show usage over time.  There is also the KillAWatt meter that can show draw as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 11 months later...

They do exist, they are just surprisingly hard to find

Here is one:

https://www.ui.com/mfi/mpower/

You could also use a zwave smart plug, and a raspberry pi with domoticz for the logging. Normally the range on zwave is better than wifi, and the more zwave products you use, the better the network gets.