Should I build a PC now or wait?

TheHappyGoat
Go to solution Solved by NinJake,

There's so many topics of the same idea, "Do I buy now or wait". My answer will stay the same no matter what the context is.

Wait if you can, save while you wait. Or buy now if you really want or need the item. (PC broke with no hope of self-repair)

Nvidia just said that GPU prices will continue to rise thoughout the year. However, a new line of GPUs are most likely coming out at some point this year that will outperform the GTX 10 series. We'll also be getting H310 mobos that will make coffee lake builds cheaper. Should I build a PC now before card prices get any higher or wait for new stuff?

You should take what the article says with a grain of salt. The claim that GPU prices will rise is because they speculate that there will be competition for the same manufacturers that manufacture memory. And supposedly cellphone demand is stupid high so they'll cut into production of other things. Until NVIDIA actually announces something, expect the same or similar MSRP we saw last generation.

But otherwise, I'd wait. Keep saving up the money and put it towards something better in the future when we get there.

26 minutes ago, TheHappyGoat said:

Nvidia just said that GPU prices will continue to rise thoughout the year. However, a new line of GPUs are most likely coming out at some point this year that will outperform the GTX 10 series. We'll also be getting H310 mobos that will make coffee lake builds cheaper. Should I build a PC now before card prices get any higher or wait for new stuff?

I am against the idea of waiting for prices when building a pc, just start snagging parts up for what you can get, pick up a 1050ti, and start gaming. Upgrade it later, but if you are younger or haven't had a pc before, you probably won't be a power user anyways, so just build it now. Is time worth more to you than a couple hundred dollars?

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

There's so many topics of the same idea, "Do I buy now or wait". My answer will stay the same no matter what the context is.

Wait if you can, save while you wait. Or buy now if you really want or need the item. (PC broke with no hope of self-repair)

I would concur with NinJake. On top of that, they are still ramping up production on more GPU and mentioned that they won't see any relief until around Q3 of this year, so if you don't really need the upgrade right at this minute then just save up until you do need it. Source

22 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

I am against the idea of waiting for prices when building a pc, just start snagging parts up for what you can get, pick up a 1050ti, and start gaming. Upgrade it later, but if you are younger or haven't had a pc before, you probably won't be a power user anyways, so just build it now. Is time worth more to you than a couple hundred dollars?

The problem is that building a PC is ridiculously expensive atm. It's just as cheap if not cheaper to get a prebuilt. I'm wondering if it would be better to wait for the speculated new GPUs to come out, as they'd probably offer more performance per dollar, but at the same time I'd be risking not buying a card before prices go up. If the expectation of GPU prices going up is just wild speculation then I might be better off waiting.

Nvidia has no reason to release a new card. They are already the kings of performance, and power, for consumer uses. I wouldn't expect them to release a new card because then they would just be stepping on their own toes of selling all their 1000 series cards.

AMD has nothing to compete with, so Nvidia doesn't need to inovate. No point in waiting on a new card from them I say.

1 hour ago, TheHappyGoat said:

The problem is that building a PC is ridiculously expensive atm. It's just as cheap if not cheaper to get a prebuilt. I'm wondering if it would be better to wait for the speculated new GPUs to come out, as they'd probably offer more performance per dollar, but at the same time I'd be risking not buying a card before prices go up. If the expectation of GPU prices going up is just wild speculation then I might be better off waiting.

Keep in mind that it took time for the non high end GPU's to come out, and they came out because of pressure from AMD. If you are wanting high end performance, sure, you can probably get around 30 percent better than a 1080ti. For 500 dollars. If you want to wait for the '2060' its going to be even longer. If you want a budget build, not much is going to change soon. Its dumb to speculate and say "Why not just save a little for more performance, who cares if it might be more than a year?" 

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen