I'm having a problem

Hey anyone reading this

So I had this problem where I bought a CPU that fried my MOBO. But that isn' the problem I have now. The problem I'm having now is after I rebuilt my computer. I turned the tower on and all my fans turned on (including the GPU fans) and the mobo lights came on but my monitor never received any signal.... I know it could be as simply as my missing a plug in (because this is my first build but second time rebuilding) but I double and triple checked all my connections. I guess I'm asking if the GPU fans kick on does that mean the GPU is okay or could this be my no signal problem.

3 minutes ago, RustyWell said:

Hey anyone reading this

So I had this problem where I bought a CPU that fried my MOBO. But that isn' the problem I have now. The problem I'm having now is after I rebuilt my computer. I turned the tower on and all my fans turned on (including the GPU fans) and the mobo lights came on but my monitor never received any signal.... I know it could be as simply as my missing a plug in (because this is my first build but second time rebuilding) but I double and triple checked all my connections. I guess I'm asking if the GPU fans kick on does that mean the GPU is okay or could this be my no signal problem.

Sounds more likely that your PSU friend your mobo, not the CPU.  If you're trying the same PSU now it's dead, or close to it being your idle lights are on.

I haven't really seen many CPU's 'fry' a motherboard, usually either user error, or psu. Sounds to me like you're either throwing money at a build without actually knowing what's needed or doing the same but with RMAing parts. Fans spinning up can happen even if the pc is not posting, swap in a known good psu and try again, do the same with RAM, make sure your CPU power is plugged in and everything is properly seated. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

18 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Sounds more likely that your PSU friend your mobo, not the CPU.  If you're trying the same PSU now it's dead, or close to it being your idle lights are on.

The only thing that isn' new is the GPU... I mean I have a new CPU, new mobo and new DDR4 ram. The only thing I didn't buy is the power supply and GPU.

3 minutes ago, RustyWell said:

The only thing that isn' new is the GPU... I mean I have a new CPU, new mobo and new DDR4 ram. The only thing I didn't buy is the power supply and GPU.

Don't use that PSU anymore.  It's probably the source of all your ire.  What model is it?

53 minutes ago, RustyWell said:

First off, does the pc power off immediately when you press the power button? If it does it ain't booting. That rules out the graphics card.

Reseat your ram first and test. Test again with each stick in single channel. If it works it's fine. If it works with a single stick one of your sticks might be bad.

Then, if you're running intel, test the video without the graphics card. If it works you probably need a bigger power supply.

If it doesn't I'd recommend testing it with a different powersupply.

If none of this works inspect the motherboard for physical damage, or areas where it could short. Is it touching the case anywhere besides the standoffs? Are there any screws under the board? Scratches on it?

If the board is scratched you can easily repair the traces with a bit of solder. Only do this if the motherboard is not under warranty, otherwise Rma the hell out of it.