WD SSD M2 BLUE VS GREEN

laughinggg

Hi, I own a laptop that comes with 128G and now I want to upgrade it with 250G SSD M2. I have searched for a while and concerned to the M2 BLUE & GREEN. I checked the specification of the two types of SSD. As the result, I saw no difference but the price quite made me think again. Anyone knows why the price of SSD M2 BLUE higher than GREEN? 

12 minutes ago, Septimus said:

I would assume the same applies to their solid state drives: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1741-wd-blue-vs-black-comparison-best-drive-for-gaming

Kind of, but also kind of not. While they're the same in terms of order of performance, there's a big difference in compatability when comparing the Green and Blue SSDs to the Black. Green and Blue are both SATA based M.2 drives, while the Black is NVMe, so if you only have a B keyed M.2 slot, the Black won't work. Most M keyed slots will support both PCIe and SATA operation, but in the event it doesn't support SATA, then the Blue and Green wont work. 

@laughinggg The Blue is the better performer. The sequential reads are the same (at least, on spec they are) but writes are faster and it has significantly higher random read and write IOPS

@Septimus Thanks, but if the website talked about the SSD 2.5", I would be assumed like you but sadly it was Hard Drive I want to make sure before I buy, otherwise I would be regret.

WD Blue 3D>WD Blue>WD Green
Get higher capacity for better lifespan and performance

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

@Oshino Shinobu I see I see, it looks like complicate what you have said early but I appreciate your answer, good luck man.

@ZM Fong I planned to get M2 250G Blue, that what I can afford. 

2 minutes ago, laughinggg said:

that what I can afford. 

What's your budget? Location?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 minute ago, laughinggg said:

@Oshino Shinobu I see I see, it looks like complicate what you have said early but I appreciate your answer, good luck man.

@ZM Fong I planned to get M2 250G Blue, that what I can afford. 

All you really need to know is that the Blue performs better than the Green. 

Just to note, there's no performance difference between the 2.5" and M.2 drives, they're basically just a different form factor. So if a cheaper price comes up on a 2.5" Blue, you may as well go for it. 

@Oshino Shinobu I am sorry that I reply you so late, by the way, that really help me lots in term of comparing WD SSD. I have searched for a while and I still cannot figure it out between these models. Anyways, thanks again mate. Have a good day!

@ZM Fong My budget around a hundred US dollar and I am living in Cambodia.

4 hours ago, laughinggg said:

a hundred US dollar

Try finding tier 1 SSD like Samsung 850/860 EVO, Crucial MX500/BX300, WD Blue 3D/Sandisk Ultra 3D, Intel 545s

Desktop specs:

Spoiler