Need help with buying a graphics card!

MrBoggas
Go to solution Solved by MadOverclocker,
5 minutes ago, MrBoggas said:

Well I'm not really sure what diffrence the "Ti" makes and getting the Ti would be about $100 more than the one without, as the one I'm planning to get is on sale. Also, do you believe the 2GB VRAM previded would be enough for todays games or do you believe it would perform bad?

Ti 100$ more? Forget the Ti. The Ti just has like 7%-15% faster and with 4GB GDDR5. 2GB will do just enough for games. Most games will run good on 2GB my card right now has 1GB GDDR5 and some games struggle but end up running perfect with a bit of tweaking.

So I've got a pretty old computer, an Acer Aspire XC600, which is not really performing well when it comes to gaming. That's why I'm planning on buying a new graphics card (Asus GeForce 1050 2G), as i suppose that is the main reason my computer is performing badly. But I'm not really sure if a graphics card would improve the computer that much, as the other parts are becoming quite old as well. So i guess my question is if a graphics card would improve an old computer like mine to the point of playing high demanding games with high definition setting, in 1080p with at least 60fps?

Basic Specs:

Processor:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz

RAM:

8.0 GB

Current Graphics Card:

AMD Radeon HD 7000 series

26 minutes ago, wonderforest said:

Well depends on what 7000 series card you got... if its a 7950 or 7970 heck even a 7870, i'd say keep it for the time being. GPU market is fuck wait for new lunch soon.

Well I can't seem to find what model the graphics card is but it's really bad and I can't stand it anymore. I can't  even run games like CS:GO or Warframe with 1080p resolution and in some cases when I can play the games with lower resolution than 1080p it's also with the lowest possible settings.

What 7000 series card you got? I have a 7850 OC to the AMD limit and works great. To see which one you have get GPU-Z. If you have a 7850/70 or 7950/70 that's a great card for gaming and overclocking "safely".

Just now, MrBoggas said:

Well I can't seem to find what model the graphics card is but it's really bad and I can't stand it anymore. I can't  even run games like CS:GO or Warframe with 1080p resolution and in some cases when I can play the games with lower resolution than 1080p it's also with the lowest possible settings.

Check on GPU-Z. Also after you know your card make sure to see if you have the latest driver from AMD and not Acer.

Just downloaded GPU-Z and updated my drivers but I'm getting a little confused. When updating my drivers i got the usual message saying that windows has successfully updated your drivers, but whats weird is that it said that it finished updating the drivers for an AMD Radeon HD 8470, while GPU-Z and every other source says that i just have an AMD Radeon HD 7000 series.

I'm so confused, please help!

I'll attach a link to my GPU-Z validation if that possibly helps:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/uu2dw

4 minutes ago, MrBoggas said:

Just downloaded GPU-Z and updated my drivers but I'm getting a little confused. When updating my drivers i got the usual message saying that windows has successfully updated your drivers, but whats weird is that it said that it finished updating the drivers for an AMD Radeon HD 8470, while GPU-Z and every other source says that i just have an AMD Radeon HD 7000 series.

I'm so confused, please help!

I'll attach a link to my GPU-Z validation if that possibly helps:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/uu2dw

It's not a 7000 GPU, it's a 8470 since it matches the clock speed. The 8000 series GPUs are pretty low end. Now we know what s your GPU. In what country do you live? In North America? South America? Europe? This can help find deals. I lived in central America where there was a very low chance of cheap used products but when I moved to North America I saw a huge difference in the used market. Usually 7850 or 7870 are still in the used market or the GTX 750 Ti or a decent R9 280x/290x.

Also places where you can find GPU deals are eBay and microcenter but microcenter is more on the CPU side.

Edit: And craiglist how could I forget.

31 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

It's not a 7000 GPU, it's a 8470 since it matches the clock speed. The 8000 series GPUs are pretty low end. Now we know what s your GPU. In what country do you live? In North America? South America? Europe? This can help find deals. I lived in central America where there was a very low chance of cheap used products but when I moved to North America I saw a huge difference in the used market. Usually 7850 or 7870 are still in the used market or the GTX 750 Ti or a decent R9 280x/290x.

I live in northern Europe, but I don't think that I'm going for a used graphics card. Although I've been thinking about buying an "Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Phoenix 2GB", which to me seems like a decent card that can run most games without any problems. Also it's not that expensive right now. Do you think this graphics card would work in an old computer such as mine or would the other parts fall behind instead?

33 minutes ago, MrBoggas said:

I live in northern Europe, but I don't think that I'm going for a used graphics card. Although I've been thinking about buying an "Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Phoenix 2GB", which to me seems like a decent card that can run most games without any problems. Also it's not that expensive right now. Do you think this graphics card would work in an old computer such as mine or would the other parts fall behind instead?

Well if you want new the 1050 will make you happy meanwhile but for a few bucks I would get the 1050 Ti (If you can, there's no need). But there would be a bottleneck, you would need a better CPU to use the whole GPU advantage.

9 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Well if you want new the 1050 will make you happy meanwhile but for a few bucks I would get the 1050 Ti (If you can, there's no need). But there would be a bottleneck, you would need a better CPU to use the whole GPU advantage.

Well I'm not really sure what diffrence the "Ti" makes and getting the Ti would be about $100 more than the one without, as the one I'm planning to get is on sale. Also, do you believe the 2GB VRAM previded would be enough for todays games or do you believe it would perform bad?

5 minutes ago, MrBoggas said:

Ti 100$ more? Forget the Ti. The Ti just has like 7%-15% faster and with 4GB GDDR5. 2GB will do just enough for games. Most games will run good on 2GB my card right now has 1GB GDDR5 and some games struggle but end up running perfect with a bit of tweaking.

6 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Well alright, I'm probably going to go get that graphics card then. Thank you so much for your help!

9 minutes ago, MrBoggas said:

Well alright, I'm probably going to go get that graphics card then. Thank you so much for your help!

Your welcome happy gaming!