Can you use an external HDD for paging computer files?

PotatoMasherPM

Hi. I have a question and hopefully some of you can help

I have recently encountered the use of readyboost and yes it has hepled my pc in terms of increasing its performance, but I was wondering, can you page files to an external hdd for better performance rather than just using readyboost in a usb. By that it would also mean disabling page file in my current hdd inside my computer. Sorry if my english is not that good. Hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks in advance

36 minutes ago, PotatoMasherPM said:

I have recently encountered the use of readyboost and yes it has hepled my pc in terms of increasing its performance, but I was wondering, can you page files to an external hdd for better performance rather than just using readyboost in a usb. By that it would also mean disabling page file in my current hdd inside my computer. Sorry if my english is not that good. Hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks in advance

You could but it'll be slow since the usb connection would be a bottleneck and that's technically what ready boost is any way

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

39 minutes ago, PotatoMasherPM said:

Thanks in advance

Theoretically, yes..... However, it's not necessarily the best of ideas.

A hdd won't help much as a hdd has much worse access times compared to a ssd or flash drive. You don't want to cache a drive with anouther of the same type.