3.5mm Audio Jacks Not Working

Zack_Hill
Go to solution Solved by KarathKasun,

Make sure onboard audio isnt disabled in the BIOS.

I just did a new PC build. Unfortunately, neither my headphone or mic jacks are working (same goes for the front and back audio connectors). I've tried installing the latest realtek audio drivers but nothing seems to work. USB headsets work fine. 

In the device manager, the only sound controller listed is the "AMD High Definition Audio Device". I have tried updating this controller but that doesn't seem to fix either. 

Anyone with some insight on this issue - please help! 

Motherboard: MSI b350m gaming pro

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4gb

RAM: 16gb G.skill DDR4  

You did check that you are outputting the sound to the correct playback device right? Also make sure you download the drivers from the MSI website directly. The CD installation disk may be outdated. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Just now, Airdragonz said:

You did check that you are outputting the sound to the correct playback device right? Also make sure you download the drivers from the MSI website directly. The CD installation disk may be outdated. 

Hello. There are 6 of the same playback devices to select. It's super weird. None of them are the jacks though. And yes, the drivers I tried came straight from the website. 

yo.PNG

Try uninstalling your gpu and realtek drivers, then reinstall the audio drivers. If audio works after that, reinstall the gpu drivers. 

10 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

Try uninstalling your gpu and realtek drivers, then reinstall the audio drivers. If audio works after that, reinstall the gpu drivers. 

Unfortunately, no luck... I'd also like to note that the realtek drivers do NOT show up in the device manager. 

1 minute ago, Zack_Hill said:

Unfortunately, no luck...

Hmm. Does the realtek audio manager work? And does it detect if you plug a device in if it does work?

19 minutes ago, Zack_Hill said:

Hello. There are 6 of the same playback devices to select. It's super weird. None of them are the jacks though. And yes, the drivers I tried came straight from the website. 

yo.PNG

These are the audio outputs over HDMI via your graphics card and will not output sound over 3.5mm from the back of the motherboard no matter what you update here.

7 minutes ago, Zack_Hill said:

Unfortunately, no luck... I'd also like to note that the realtek drivers do NOT show up in the device manager. 

If you don't see any unknown devices, or a Realtek Audio device, in device manager, then your audio is not properly enabled in your motherboard BIOS, or your motherboard is defective and will need replacement. Go into your BIOS and enable On Board audio, or HD Audio. Some motherboards actually still set AC'97 audio as the default, which is the old school header on the board itself, and this can shut off the HD Audio chipset so Windows will never see it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

Hmm. Does the realtek audio manager work? And does it detect if you plug a device in if it does work?

Welp... It sure was. I must've accidentally clicked it when I was overclocking RAM. Thanks for the tip. Also Airdragonz, thank you for taking the time time to help!

Crap I quoted the wrong person lol. Thanks for the tip Karath and to everyone else who commented! 

• 2 years later...
On 2/21/2018 at 7:49 PM, KarathKasun said:

Make sure onboard audio isnt disabled in the BIOS.

literally made an account on LTT just to say thank you, this helped me out in 2020 over 2 years later.