H80i - I want to put this on an rx 480

t33to

Hey all,

I inherited this AIO from a friend. I'd like to mount it to my rx480. My rx480 is a single fan unit and it gets extremely loud when it gets under load. I've seen a bit here and there about mounting CPU coolers to GPU's and it seems pretty straight forward, just make sure the heatsink/waterblock touches the GPU itself, but do I need to worry about cooling the ram and other components on the card?

1 minute ago, unkn0wn1 said:

I would say yes.

How would I go about doing this? Would mounting a 120mm fan above the vram work well enough? Or do I need to purchase some little memory-heat-sinks for them and install a fan above them?

17 minutes ago, t33to said:

How would I go about doing this? Would mounting a 120mm fan above the vram work well enough? Or do I need to purchase some little memory-heat-sinks for them and install a fan above them?

VRAM isn't too big of a concern, unless you're overclocking it a ways. I would be more worried about the VRMs, in which case installing some small heatsinks and a small fan to blow air across them is definitely a good idea. A 90mm fan should do the trick

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

VRAM isn't too big of a concern, unless you're overclocking it a ways. I would be more worried about the VRMs, in which case installing some small heatsinks and a small fan to blow air across them is definitely a good idea. A 90mm fan should do the trick

Where does one purchase these heat sinks? Do they  have to be specific?

Just now, t33to said:

Where does one purchase these heat sinks? Do they  have to be specific?

I wouldn't imagine they have to be specific, but you can find small heatsinks on Amazon.

Haven't found any specifically for GPU VRMs, but theoretically any small heatsink will work: https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Heatsinks-15mm-Black-10-pack/dp/B008LZO3NQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519257835&sr

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't imagine they have to be specific, but you can find small heatsinks on Amazon.

Haven't found any specifically for GPU VRMs, but theoretically any small heatsink will work: https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Heatsinks-15mm-Black-10-pack/dp/B008LZO3NQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519257835&sr

Thanks! How do those attach to the VRMs?

Just now, t33to said:

Thanks! How do those attach to the VRMs?

Adhesive thermal compound, if that isn't included you can grab that off Amazon as well: https://www.amazon.com/Aikenuo-performance-Conductiv-Adhesive-Heatsink/dp/B075FQKJSB/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1519258302&sr