Can a Blown PSU damage a Motherboard?

My PSU died on new years day with a really loud pop(starting off 2018 great) and i RMA'd it. I got the new one today and now my system won't post. The only that happens are the fans spinning up and then after 10-15 seconds it turns off and automatically starts back even when i short the power switch connector. I already tried clearing the CMOS but to no avail.

Could the motherboard be damaged or am i doing something wrong?

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

There is a 60/40 chance that can happen. Recheck all your connections incase.

The geek himself.

the PSU is the only part of your system that has a relatively high likelyhood of taking other things with it, and has the potential for killing everything in your system. (and you)

some things you *can* still try is reset cmos (take out the battery on your mobo and short out the contacts, then putting the battery back.)

past that.. its just connecting, disconnecting, and replacing stuff to find what has taken the blow.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

There is a 60/40 chance that can happen

60%.. sounds problematic.. i've seen enough power supplies fail without otherwise damaging things to be past that ratio already, primarily with prebuilts.

10 minutes ago, aneil1998 said:

My PSU died on new years day with a really loud pop(starting off 2018 great) and i RMA'd it. I got the new one today and now my system won't post. The only that happens are the fans spinning up and then after 10-15 seconds it turns off and automatically starts back even when i short the power switch connector. I already tried clearing the CMOS but to no avail.

It's highly likely that your mobo is toast. Strip it down to nothing but the CPU and one stick of RAM in the furthest slot from the socket, nothing else. If that doesn't work, try the other stick of RAM. If that doesn't work, repeat the process on the next slot, and work your way in. If you cycle through all the RAM and all the slots without a post, your mobo is most likely RIP

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

the PSU is the only part of your system that has a relatively high likelyhood of taking other things with it, and has the potential for killing everything in your system. (and you)

some things you *can* still try is reset cmos (take out the battery on your mobo and short out the contacts, then putting the battery back.)

past that.. its just connecting, disconnecting, and replacing stuff to find what has taken the blow.

4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

It's highly likely that your mobo is toast. Strip it down to nothing but the CPU and one stick of RAM in the furthest slot from the socket, nothing else. If that doesn't work, try the other stick of RAM. If that doesn't work, repeat the process on the next slot, and work your way in. If you cycle through all the RAM and all the slots without a post, your mobo is most likely RIP

I'll try disconnecting more stuff and see. I'll try testing the RAM and see if it posts. If it fails, i'll carry it by a computer repair store and see what they have to say.

At this point in it's life, it's not worth replacing the mobo if it died. I'll just have to work for 6 months and rebuild i guess.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Just now, aneil1998 said:

I'll try disconnecting more stuff and see. I'll try testing the RAM and see if it posts. If it fails, i'll carry it by a computer repair store and see what they have to say.

At this point in it's life, it's not worth replacing the mobo if it died. I'll just have to work for 6 months and rebuild i guess.

What socket/CPU?

12 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

There is a 60/40 chance that can happen. Recheck all your connections incase.

How the hell did you work out that statistic? "99% of stats are made up on the spot" A.Einstein   xD

20 minutes ago, aneil1998 said:

It can happen, but I suspect if the supply is good enough to RMA, I'm guessing it was a decent quality unit, in my experience it would be doubtful (not impossible) 

I would strip everything out and start again. It could be short somewhere that originally caused the PSU to blow, and it may be protecting it self from blowing again. If it does the same again on reinstall (check those board standoffs) Try disconnecting all wires and sorting the 24 pin again and see if it powers (PSU). If so, replace fans and try again. Then add GPU try again, until you find the culprit

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

What socket/CPU?

I'm guessing Z77 and 3570K as it is in the signature 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

@aneil1998 if that's correct, your system might actually be worth saving depending on what you're doing with it. Rebuilding right now would involve DDR4 RAM, which is not cheap.

4 hours ago, stealth80 said:

It is.

4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

@aneil1998 if that's correct, your system might actually be worth saving depending on what you're doing with it. Rebuilding right now would involve DDR4 RAM, which is not cheap.

Well it's mostly for gaming (hosting the game servers if required). Maybe some game development and programming. So i'm kind of aiming towards a 6 core 12 threads CPU. And since i have to get a job, I would be rebuilding maybe sometime around september.