Dirt rally low FPS with 1080 ti

henkka_scorpio

I recently got myself an oculus rift. I tried Dirt rally yesterday and noticed that the fps locked to 45 when using any settings higher than very low - low. GPU usage at 30-40% and cpu usage at about 60-70%. I think it thinks my cpu will bottleneck if it were running at 90fps and thats why it automatically locks to 45FPS. But it is unplayable at 45fps. Is the game so cpu heavy I cant get 90fps with my rig? And today I thought I would play it with my monitor then and when i started it without the oculus software on it was running at 20-30fps on high settings with both gpu and cpu usage under 40 and 50% respectively. Im gonna try unplugging the rift headset completely next. Ive tried verifying files through steam. Any ideas what could cause this? Anyone else experiencing same kinds of issues?

Rig:

Palit GTX 1080 ti

i5-4690k @4.5Ghz

8GB 1600mhz Vengeance DDR3

both game and windows on SATA SSD:s

650W Seasonic Focus+ gold PSU

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

29 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

I recently got myself an oculus rift. I tried Dirt rally yesterday and noticed that the fps locked to 45 when using any settings higher than very low - low. GPU usage at 30-40% and cpu usage at about 60-70%. I think it thinks my cpu will bottleneck if it were running at 90fps and thats why it automatically locks to 45FPS. But it is unplayable at 45fps. Is the game so cpu heavy I cant get 90fps with my rig? And today I thought I would play it with my monitor then and when i started it without the oculus software on it was running at 20-30fps on high settings with both gpu and cpu usage under 40 and 50% respectively. Im gonna try unplugging the rift headset completely next. Ive tried verifying files through steam. Any ideas what could cause this? Anyone else experiencing same kinds of issues?

Rig:

Palit GTX 1080 ti

i5-4690k @4.5Ghz

disable the fps cap?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

On 2/21/2018 at 12:41 PM, henkka_scorpio said:

Rig:

Palit GTX 1080 ti

i5-4690k @4.5Ghz

A feature called ASW is kicking in to prevent frame drops.

When your performance headroom goes into the negative and it wants to drop below 90fps, it switches to 45fps per eye instead. It's called asynchronous spacewarp.

This can be handy for people with low end cards. This is why 960's are now VR compatible. It also can help people with high end cards achieve even higher settings without dropping frames, but some people get sick from ASW and some cards perform worse with it on so it's not good for everyone.

Some of your settings must be too high. Remember, this is VR. It's basically rendering everything twice so everything is twice as much of a load on your system than a regular game.

I would start by reducing anti-aliasing and resolution scaling if those options are available since they are extremely costing.

You can turn off ASW mode with the oculus tray tool, but if it's wanting to kick in with these settings, it'll be even worse with it off so yea.. all you can do is reduce settings.

Well, you might also want to roll back your driver. Oculus is reporting that the current Nvidia pascal drivers are causing problems.  388.59 is the last known stable driver.

Oh and it's also handy to know that you can actually monitor all of this with the HUD's in the tray tool. The performance HUD is especially useful. It shows you application frame drops (ignore these), compositor frame drops (these are the frame drops you'll notice and don't want. Ignore ones that happen during loading screens), FPS on the bottom left and performance headroom on the bottom right.

You're going to want to adjust settings until your performance headroom is no longer in the negative.