Cloning SSD to a SSHD

MrHarv

Hello guys!

I currently have my Windows 10 OS on a 120GB Kingston SSD and i recently ordered 1TB SSHD Seagate Firecuda as a replacement.

I wanted some help regarding which software to use for cloning and maybe a tutorial video link if possible for the software you refer. I googled and several different options for cloning came up like using windows inbuilt diskmgr but the only software (just by looking at pics and text) i found easy was EaseUS 

If anyone has some better reccomendations considering they are easy to use and do the job please suggest and help me out here.

Thanks!

If your SSD isn't dying just leave your os on it and turn your new SSHD into a storage drive.

As for cloning i don't think its a good idea. i would just do a fresh install on the new SSHD and use Transwiz to move documents and settings.

Main PC = I5 7600K @4.5ghz, Asus Gtx1070, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz, 480GB SSD, Msi Z270 Mobo.

It isn't dying but it's running out of storage due to the windows updates

1 minute ago, MrHarv said:

It isn't dying but it's running out of storage due to the windows updates

Ya, that will be a significant downgrade even if your SSD is and older cheaper model.

So what you both are saying is that cloning is a bad idea or moving OS from ssd to a sshd is a bad idea?

4 minutes ago, MrHarv said:

So what you both are saying is that cloning is a bad idea or moving OS from ssd to a sshd is a bad idea?

The best option (assuming your using a desktop which has a spare SATA port) would be to install it as a second drive and have the SSD as a boot drive and the new drive for file storage

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Yeah you will notice a downgrade in performance if you move your OS to the SSHD

Main PC = I5 7600K @4.5ghz, Asus Gtx1070, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz, 480GB SSD, Msi Z270 Mobo.

14 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

The best option (assuming your using a desktop which has a spare SATA port) would be to install it as a second drive and have the SSD as a boot drive and the new drive for file storage

I have 2 6GB/S SATA Ports and 2 2GB/S SATA Ports empty . , Okay i will consider moving the software onto the SSHD , Already have another Seagate 1TB Barracuda Pro for Games and file storage and another WD Purple for my home's surveillance recordings and lastly Seagate 500GB External. So to be clear once again the only thought i had to move os from ssd onto SSHD was for more space for OS itself.

41 minutes ago, MrHarv said:

I have 2 6GB/S SATA Ports and 2 2GB/S SATA Ports empty . , Okay i will consider moving the software onto the SSHD , Already have another Seagate 1TB Barracuda Pro for Games and file storage and another WD Purple for my home's surveillance recordings and lastly Seagate 500GB External. So to be clear once again the only thought i had to move os from ssd onto SSHD was for more space for OS itself.

Just try to keep the OS and essentials on your SSD, 120gb is more than enough even though it doesn't seem like it a lot of the time but I have seen builds get by with 64gb somehow.

Okay, Understood everyone's point now can you guys tell me that will any company's Sata cable work or i need anything specific for the firecuda

On 2/21/2018 at 10:36 PM, MrHarv said:

Okay, Understood everyone's point now can you guys tell me that will any company's Sata cable work or i need anything specific for the firecuda

Same SATA cable as you would use for any SATA hard drive, FireCuda just uses a standard SATA III, 6Gb/s connection.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 2/24/2018 at 8:12 AM, MrHarv said:

@seagate_surfer thank you for replying , can i use this ? http://amzn.in/7iYw9I5

We can't officially comment on 3rd party products, however that does appear to be a standard SATA cable so in theory it should work just fine.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

If you are running out of space, and only have the OS on the 120gb SSD, I would look at other folders that take up space.

Such as "disk clean up" and "clean up system files" or similar and clearing those. Then look at moving the downloads or MyDocuments folder to the SSHD or similar. Only if you have GBs worth in those folders. https://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or-partition.html

Windows should not use up more than 30-40GB on it's own, which means a 120gb is more than enough for just the OS.