Raven Ridge Budget Build

TiniestCosine65

Wanting to build my buddy a Raven Ridge pc to get him by until graphics cards come back down. I know this is probably a very popuilar trend right now. My only problem is I don't have any ryzen chips. Are there any current boards that come already loaded with a Raven Ridge updated bios. Would prefer matx or mitx, and preferably b350. This is a budget build just to get him going. Just wanna know what's out there already loaded.

FYI (obviously will add some time to the build) but AMD will send out a usable chip for you to flash the BIOS if required.

PS Sorry if you already knew the above. just wanting to make sure :) 

5 minutes ago, factorialandha said:

FYI (obviously will add some time to the build) but AMD will send out a usable chip for you to flash the BIOS if required.

PS Sorry if you already knew the above. just wanting to make sure :) 

Really? That's very interesting. Would you have to purchase everything directly through them some how. Or can I still use newegg or amazon

3 minutes ago, TiniestCosine65 said:

Really? That's very interesting. Would you have to purchase everything directly through them some how. Or can I still use newegg or amazon

I dont believe you would have a problem regardless as long as its a valid product, see info below from https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx, according to this page, some Suppliers / Manufacturers will also allow you to RMA the board for one with the bios update already in place.

Boot Kit Solution

AMD will provide affected and qualified users a boot kit to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard. 

This solution is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for affected and qualified users of this specific boot up issue.  This boot kit is free of charge.

To obtain the boot kit, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Go to the AMD online warranty claims page: https://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma
  2. Fill in your full contact and product details
  3. In the Problem Description field enter "Boot kit Required" (without quotes)

NOTE: The product must be a valid AMD processor with authentic OPN and serial number.

Once the claim is received and approved, confirmation details and boot kit instructions will be provided in a follow up email.

4 minutes ago, factorialandha said:

I dont believe you would have a problem regardless as long as its a valid product, see info below from https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx, according to this page, some Suppliers / Manufacturers will also allow you to RMA the board for one with the bios update already in place.

Boot Kit Solution

AMD will provide affected and qualified users a boot kit to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard. 

This solution is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for affected and qualified users of this specific boot up issue.  This boot kit is free of charge.

To obtain the boot kit, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Go to the AMD online warranty claims page: https://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma
  2. Fill in your full contact and product details
  3. In the Problem Description field enter "Boot kit Required" (without quotes)

NOTE: The product must be a valid AMD processor with authentic OPN and serial number.

Once the claim is received and approved, confirmation details and boot kit instructions will be provided in a follow up email.

That's a very interesting solution. Still would be more interested if there are any boards preloaded. But that is definitely something to keep in mind!

Just now, TiniestCosine65 said:

That's a very interesting solution. Still would be more interested if there are any boards preloaded. But that is definitely something to keep in mind!

I believe, if you are lucky alot of "new" manufactured boards, will come preloaded with the latest bios, it all depends whether you get old stock or not. 

same with anything really, the later the manufacture date the more chance you have of them already being loaded with the latest bios. However you wont really know that until you get the board. 

Don't buy an APU if you are going to go with a discrete gpu later on. You would be better buying the R3 1200 and a cheap gpu depending on the budget.

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Don't buy an APU if you are going to go with a discrete gpu later on. You would be better buying the R3 1200 and a cheap gpu depending on the budget.

comparing the R3 1200 and the R3 2200G, both have pretty much identical specs, with the added benefit of the 2200G has integrated graphics. i dont see any reason why you would go for the R3 1200 myself, the price is the same, and after the fact, it does not matter if you add a discrete graphics card. 

11 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

I would normally completely agree with that statement. But the gt 1030 and rx 550 are the only discrete cards that havent really been affected. And these cards are on par with the performance of the apus. Not reason paying for a 1050 or 1050ti at the moment. 

46 minutes ago, factorialandha said:

I believe, if you are lucky alot of "new" manufactured boards, will come preloaded with the latest bios, it all depends whether you get old stock or not. 

same with anything really, the later the manufacture date the more chance you have of them already being loaded with the latest bios. However you wont really know that until you get the board. 

That is what I figured. But I would be the one to get an oder stock board that hasn't received the update yet lol

2 minutes ago, TiniestCosine65 said:

That is what I figured. But I would be the one to get an oder stock board that hasn't received the update yet lol

Depending on where you order from, you could ask them to check ? or even ask them to make sure the bios is up to date, some suppliers might be able to accommodate.

comparing the R3 1200 and the R3 2200G, both have pretty much identical specs, with the added benefit of the 2200G has integrated graphics. i dont see any reason why you would go for the R3 1200 myself, the price is the same, and after the fact, it does not matter if you add a discrete graphics card. 

You are not going to get a good gaming experience at 1080p with an APU though. You are looking at GTX 1030 performance or so with the APU.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

You are not going to get a good gaming experience at 1080p with an APU though. You are looking at GTX 1030 performance or so with the APU.

That is exactly what these chips are made for...1080p casual gaming, and 720p gaming on the heavier titles with lower settings. I'm not asking to play PUBG on ultra 1080p with a smooth fps. But I can lower the settings and allow him to play plenty of titles until 1050 tis and 1060s come back down to a more reasonable price. And when they do, I can then drop in one of them and still use the 2400g's cpu side which is on par with the 1400-1400x if I'm not wrong. They make complete since in the current gpu market that we are currently in.

Depending on where you order from, you could ask them to check ? or even ask them to make sure the bios is up to date, some suppliers might be able to accommodate.

I will definitely have to look into that. Thanks for all of your info!

8 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Thats very true, i completely agree with that, however going for the R3 1200 over the R3 2200G has absolutely not benefit whatsoever. Both give you the same specs, both give you the ability to add a dedicated GPU, and both are the same price. (infact the R3 2200G is cheaper by a whopping 5$ on amazon)

Personally, (even if i was buying a dGPU) i would still go for the APU, purely because its always handy having on board graphics support, specially for troubleshooting etc.

However each to their own, i dont want to start any kind of argument over it, just my personal opinion on the matter.

2 minutes ago, TiniestCosine65 said:

That is exactly what these chips are made for...1080p casual gaming, and 720p gaming on the heavier titles with lower settings. I'm not asking to play PUBG on ultra 1080p with a smooth fps. But I can lower the settings and allow him to play plenty of titles until 1050 tis and 1060s come back down to a more reasonable price. And when they do, I can then drop in one of them and still use the 2400g's cpu side which is on par with the 1400-1400x if I'm not wrong. They make complete since in the current gpu market that we are currently in.

Who wants to game at 720p though ? Might as well just get a PS4 or XB1. 

Who wants to game at 720p though ? Might as well just get a PS4 or XB1. 

People who are trying to start playing games without breaking the bank. Not everyone can pay up to double the price for discrete cards at the moment

5 minutes ago, TiniestCosine65 said:

People who are trying to start playing games without breaking the bank. Not everyone can pay up to double the price for discrete cards at the moment

I am not suggesting sticking a 1080 ti in there B| As I said in my other post it depends on what budget your friend is working with.

I am not suggesting sticking a 1080 ti in there B| As I said in my other post it depends on what budget your friend is working with.

Originally I wanted to set him up with a 1300x and a 1050ti. But then 1050ti prices decided to got from $150-$180 to like $250. So then I started looking into the 1050s which are at about the tis old price now. And even they are over priced at the moment. All I'm trying to do is get him into gaming with the R5 2400G, of course with an overclock. After playing with this system and waiting out gpu prices for a few months, he can keep the 2400G as the cpu and drop in a 1050ti or 1060. Since the 2400G is a quad core with hyperthreading chip that has stock boost clocks of up to 3.9GHz, this puts it pretty close to the 1500x and past the 1400 on the cpu side. So I think it would still be a perfect match up with a discrete card in the future. Like I said, just trying to get him going on a very tight budget. He and I both know he is going to have to make some sacrifices in settings or resolutions to be able to play some titles.