How can I get my GPU temps lower?

It's pretty cold outside so it's a good time to overclock and bench. Its only going to get colder. 

Anyway, my gpu idles at 30 c right now and I have the windows open and its 45 f outside or 7 c. 

The GPU temps only dropped about 2 or 3 c since I opened the windows an hour ago. 

How can I circulate air better? Theres hardly any wind outside. 

1. Open windows on another side of the room to provide airflow.

2. Circulation fans

3. Take side panel off and point circulation fan at GPU.

4. Max case/CPU/GPU fans.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Its a case but with the side panel open. I had to shut the window because my girlfriend came home and her lungs are bad. We have a box fan but im not sure if it will help as an exhaust fan. Thought to put it next to my window to pull air out. 

Open the door of the room.  You can circulate air if there is one opening

8 minutes ago, Chewie555 said:

How can I circulate air better? Theres hardly any wind outside. 

best way i found to lower my GPU temps without impacting performance is to lower the power limit of the card and increase the core clock boost...like so:

Capture.png

This is a windforce GTX 1080...if i don't do that i run at 76 or 77c but with that i run at peak of 71c in demanding games...and the card still boost to 1962mhz with those settings...its worth a try...people instinctively push the power limit to max but this is the worst thing to do IMHO.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

best way i found to lower my GPU temps without impacting performance is to lower the power limit of the card and increase the core clock boost...like so:

This is a windforce GTX 1080...if i don't do that i run at 76 or 77c but with that i run at peak of 71c in demanding games...and the card still boost to 1962mhz with those settings...its worth a try...people instinctively push the power limit to max but this is the worst thing to do IMHO.

more power = higher, more stable clocks and less likely to hit a power limit

I live in a condo and theres a window next to me but then theres one in my room and that's it. 

Just now, Prqnk3d said:

more power = higher, more stable clocks and less likely to hit a power limit

more power = more heat = lower boost clocks...

test it...if you have a somewhat decent chip you can push the core clock a fair bit and the temps will be good and the boost clock will stay high and strong...im not trowing this out of my ass i've done a lot of testing.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

more power = more heat = lower boost clocks...

test it...if you have a somewhat decent chip you can push the core clock a fair bit and the temps will be good and the boost clock will stay high and strong...im not trowing this out of my ass i've done a lot of testing.

if you can keep it under 60 degrees you're fine.

nothing wrong with a 30c idle GPU temp, remember computer parts run above room temperature as a rule, unless you crank up the fans on the GPU it's gonna run hotter then room temperature, what are your LOAD temperatures? you can increase the fan speed of the GPU fans, increase airflow in the case by adding exhaust fans and crank up there speed (at the cost of a lot of noise) or convert the card over to being watercooled (if you need it quiet), you could also lower the power limit, much like lowering voltage on teh CPU reduces the temps lower the power limit reduces temps (it will also reduce clock speed at some point).

Those are great GPU temps, you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't care about the full load temps till it got up close to 80C. 71 is a great temp for being under full load.

So I just did a firestrike run to warm up my PC. I don't go straight into my max overclock anymore. I had the core clock on 240+ and my mem at 555+. 

I might try to turn down my voltage to see what happens to mess around with it. 

Edit:  to answer Daniel's question. My temps were at 56 c on load. I'm throwing my GPU on an aio tomorrow. GTX 970/Kraken x52. 

1 hour ago, Chewie555 said:

So I just did a firestrike run to warm up my PC. I don't go straight into my max overclock anymore. I had the core clock on 240+ and my mem at 555+. 

I might try to turn down my voltage to see what happens to mess around with it. 

Edit:  to answer Daniel's question. My temps were at 56 c on load. I'm throwing my GPU on an aio tomorrow. GTX 970/Kraken x52. 

56c is crazy low for an air cooled card under load, you don't need to do anything. heck you could reduce the fan speeds and let it get a little warmer.

I expect the fastest way to cool the room would be to put a fan in one corner of the window facing up to the roof and away from the window.

Reasoning.

• You want to pull in as much cold air as possible. Having the fan in the window will draw the air in faster than convection.
  • You want the fan pointing to the roof to disrupt any warm air near the ceiling so it doesn't get a chance to settle there.
  • You want the fan pointing away from the window & you want the fan in the corner of the window (pref top corner) so you are not crossing the path of the air trying to escape out the window as the pressure tries to equalize.

fan.png

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

2 hours ago, Chewie555 said:

I live in a condo and theres a window next to me but then theres one in my room and that's it. 

Take whole pc outside and do it properly 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016