The Cooling Game.

oldSock

Good day to you the reader.

Like many I have trouble with cooling and the total cost of cooling. As we all know Custom CNC cooling systems are becoming a thing as it allows for more components to be cooled and allow for a higher degree of customization.

The question that represented itself over and over again is 'Where is the innovation' and i found no real answer to this. As we all know we have to accepted ways of cooling. The first being liquid cooling and the second is air cooling. But in truth there is really only one way to dissipate heat and that is a fan. Radiator cooling is still fan dependent. Yes it moves heat away from components more effectively and some may argue this point to be clear. But we have to accept that dealing with water cooling is never easy as there are other factors and failure points to consider. 

But is their something new? 

That said I would answer that there is something else but not new as in 2018 new. Rather a innovation that was published back in 2012. In this publication found here it was mentioned

When an alternating current is passed through the ceramic component, it expands and contracts at up to 150 times per second so that the nickel discs act like a bellows. When the piezoelectric material constricts, the edges of the two nickel discs are pushed together so that they bend away from each other and suck in hot air from the surrounding area. Then, when the piezoelectric material expands, the nickel discs come together and the air is expelled from the center at high velocity.

This made me wonder why we haven't seen this in current technology. The answer I found was as follow source

We’re impressed with how quickly Aavid has been able to bring up their manufacturing line and excited to see DCJ show up in real products in 2014,” said Chris Giovanniello, Vice President, Business Development, GE Technology Licensing. “Aavid’s size, global reach, and extensive network of designers will help us accelerate the adoption of this technology to markets all over the world.

When I started looking for this product as a real world application I didn't find much. Yes there are a few examples and a few cool YouTube videos but other then that I am yet to see a product that I can use as a consumer.

Thus it figured I would write about this and ask: Did any of you see or know something about this tech and if it will see the market?

thank you for reading take care.

Interesting concept, to me though It sounds like it would be expensive to buy commercially. And It would be hard to repair yourself, the main point why a lot of us get into PC building at least for me.

I agree though finding a new way to cool PC parts could be the future as the applications would be far reaching past hitting 120 fps on Crysis 8k :) 

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s