Dump it or slap in a new gpu

R109

1.       Hi guys, I’m based in Australia and I’m debating whether it’s worth upgrading or starting a total rebuild. I have a budget of ~$3400 AUD currently and could wait longer if need be.

2.       My aim is to hit a gaming experience that is worthwhile but balanced with the ability to handle work with VMs (no more than 3 at a time i.e. 2 servers 1 client or Ciscos EVE/ GSN3), Various Kali Linux programs (hence the idea of a 1080Ti) and other university workloads (whatever they through at me I’m regional so I can’t attend the campus often). I’m also slightly worried about the heat where I have moved as it often hits anywhere between 33C – excess of 38C I do have Aircon however I’m not sure if it’s enough.

3.       I only ever plan to use one monitor, whilst I do like having a screen to work off and another to play on it feels like a waste as I can’t imagine working on something while playing (aka minimal effort of working) I brought the current monitor recently as my old one shat its self during exams so it was the first one that was on special at my local store at the time and in stock.

4.       I’m open to the idea of getting a gaming monitor as I have never had one. I won’t require any OS as I have numerous keys for personal use as a student, I will most likely have window 10 and continue to use a kali Vm for lab work as its portable and snap shots make life easier.

5.       I’m strongly considering upgrading as I have just started to get into what I believe to be somewhat serious gaming titles such as Shadow of war & Pubg. I’m very new to shooter games and in that past, have only played titles such as the Deus ex series. I’m also considering upgrading as my system would be hitting 4-5 years old now and I’m uncertain on the life span on the parts. I’m also worried as I have the stock cpu fan and during games such as pubg my cpu hits ~ 58C (max) of 59C I recently changed the thermal paste as it was hitting near the 70 mark which prompted me to investigate the thermal paste (Running Pubg on low). The GPU was hitting 80C and 100% graphics load on low settings after cleaning it with compressed air it’s now sitting on 61C and 100% load still (Running Pubg on low).

6.       What I have:

Gathered from HWMonitor (Bar the Ram/Cpu fan/Case)

Case Mid Tower: Thermaltake (can get specifics on this)

Mb:                        Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF (0x000002ED - 0x749453E0)

Processor:           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz

SDD:                      SanDisk SDSSDCP120G

HDD:                      WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (2TB)

CPU Fan:              Stock

Ram:                      F3-1600C11D-16GNT (DDR3 – 1600 CL11-11-11-28 1.50v)

Display adapter 1:           

ID                                            0x1070104

Name                                    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Board Manufacturer       Gainward

Revision                               A2

Codename                          GK104

Technology                         28 nm

Memory size                      4 GB

Memory type                    GDDR5

PCI device                           bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)

Vendor ID                            0x10DE (0x10B0)

Model ID                              0x1187 (0x1187)

Performance Level          0

Core clock            783.9 MHz

Memory clock    3004.7 MHz

Monitor 0:          

Model                                   S32F351 (Samsung)

ID                                            SAM0D24

Serial                                     H4ZJ501302

Manufacturing Date        Week 19, Year 2017

Size                                        31.5 inches

Max Resolution                 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Horizontal Freq. Range  30-81 kHz

Vertical Freq. Range        50-60 Hz

Max Pixel Clock                 170 MHz

Gamma Factor                   2.2

HWMonitor full stats.txt

Just keep that setup, its fine for gaming. You could buy a GTX 1080 for $850 and maybe find a used K chip to OC (4770K or 4790K or if you want more cores look for 5xxx intel, list below) for $200-$250 on ebay, and buy a 500GB SSD for $150 then maybe buy a watercooler, the A240G is good for $240.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC8W5SB2259&cm_re=A240G-_-9SIAC8W5SB2259-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W06YP6568

image.thumb.png.fad04c56d580e88d31570edebf4d032a.png

25 minutes ago, R109 said:

Just keep your system unless you need more cores from a Ryzen CPU, or just want to have a 16 core 1950X

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

36 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Just keep that setup, its fine for gaming. You could buy a GTX 1080 for $850 and maybe find a used K chip to OC (4770K or 4790K or if you want more cores look for 5xxx intel, list below) for $200-$250 on ebay, and buy a 500GB SSD for $150 then maybe buy a watercooler, the A240G is good for $240.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC8W5SB2259&cm_re=A240G-_-9SIAC8W5SB2259-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W06YP6568

image.thumb.png.fad04c56d580e88d31570edebf4d032a.png

The 5xxx chips will not slot into his board since they are 2011-v3 chips on the X99 platform. I think he should be fine with upgrading just the GPU as you suggested, unless he notices having slow performance caused by the CPU and not GPU. 

My recommendation: upgrade your GPU and see how it feels after that, since youll need to upgrade it regardless.