XMP stability with 8 memory sticks

MB: MSI x399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

CPU: Threadripper 1950X

Memory: 4 kits of G.Skill Flare X ( F4-3200C14-8GFX ) 64GB total

I've been struggling to set up xmp with 3200Mhz for the past two days without success. 3066Mhz is stable at least.

Someone mentioned on reddit that the number of sticks may contribute to instability. Is it possible, or I just lost the silicone lottery?

I though that the -8GFX suffix was the size of the kit?  So, yours would be 8GB.  If it was 4 kits wouldn't it be 32GB.  I 'm asking because I have a x399 too and have had problems getting ram to boot at it's rated speed with XMP as well.

I had luck with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0199SPVLQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on a 1950X with a Designare.  It would XMP to 3200 and manually OC to 3600 at stock voltage and timing.

I have not installed 32 GB yet though.  I need to purchase a second kit, and not take out a second mortgage.....

After doing a little more research on your specific kit, if it is F4-3200C14D-16GFX  Then it should be Samsung B-die memory that SHOULD be good to go to it's rated speed on x399 according to this -

Have you checked if there is a bios update for your board.  I thought that originally there were memory problems with the amd threadripper boards when they first came out and needed a bios update to be able to run memory at their rated speeds??

32 minutes ago, Slaw0 said:

Someone mentioned on reddit that the number of sticks may contribute to instability. Is it possible, or I just lost the silicone lottery?

Yes, the number of DIMMs per channel can make it harder to achieve a given frequency/timing. Sometimes the motherboard manual will specify the supported RAM speed under different configurations, usually with lower speeds for higher DIMM count configurations (although all this "supported speeds are typically lower than what you can actually achieve in practice).

However, that's a general statement; I wouldn't conclude that you can't reach 3200MHz with 2 DIMMs per channel yet.

I though that the -8GFX suffix was the size of the kit?

The kits contain 2 stick each so its 8x8Gb

Have you checked if there is a bios update for your board.

Yes, I have the latest Bios, compared to the v16 I had previously, v17 makes xmp a lot more stable for 3066MHz but it doesn't help achieving 3200Mhz.

If I was more dedicated I might disassemble my hardline loop so I could take out half of the stick but meh.

So, somehow I managed to brick my motherboard BIOS yesterday and shorting the CMOS jumper for 30min doesn't fix it so I have to disassemble anyway T_T