OEM questions?

nkucz

I want to buy Windows 8.1 OEM and install it on my hard drive, but if I add an SSD and try to reinstall it will I be able to? If I change the ram or video card will that effect anything?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

adding an SSD and reinstalling i dont think will allow it to reactivate. adding a video card or more ram won't effect it though.

adding an SSD and reinstalling i dont think will allow it to reactivate. adding a video card or more ram won't effect it though.

this is a bit off topic but will windows 7 home premium 64 bit accept 16gb of ram?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

I want to buy Windows 8.1 OEM and install it on my hard drive, but if I add an SSD and try to reinstall it will I be able to? If I change the ram or video card will that effect anything?

Just make an image of your OS from the HDD with AOMEI Backupper (It's free). 

Then restore that image to the SSD and swap it for the HDD and it will work fine.

Source: I do this at work for employee machines all the time. It works fine. 

If you change the motherboard or CPU, the OS gets kinda "Hey, stop it." and makes you reactivate. Otherwise, you should be fine.

If you don't have an extra drive to put the image of your OS on, you can put it on the same HDD, it doesn't matter. The image is treated as a single file, not a partition or OS or wtv.

If you don't have enough extra space for that, but you have an extra computer, image the OS on the HDD to the SSD, format the HDD, move the image to the HDD, then restore to the SSD. 

It can get annoying if you don't have an auxiliary storage location to move these images, but it can be made to work.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Just make an image of your OS from the HDD with AOMEI Backupper (It's free). 

Then restore that image to the SSD and swap it for the HDD and it will work fine.

Source: I do this at work for employee machines all the time. It works fine. 

If you change the motherboard or CPU, the OS gets kinda "Hey, stop it." and makes you reactivate. Otherwise, you should be fine.

I think I will just buy SSD and OEM at the same time to keep it simple haha

Yes 16gb ram will work. Changing the motherboard might affect it.

Yes 16gb ram will work. Changing the motherboard might affect it.

Won't be changing the motherboard :)

I think I will just buy SSD and OEM at the same time to keep it simple haha

Well, honestly, I consider what I just said very simple. But ok.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, honestly, I consider what I just said very simple. But ok.

It is, but since I have the money might as well

I thought they changed the EULA to allow to install and reactivate 8.1 as long it's only installed on one computer.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I thought they changed the EULA to allow to install and reactivate 8.1 as long it's only installed on one computer.

went with windows 7 lol

I got windows home premium and 16 gigs of ram on my laptop so I know it will work just fine. Still up in there air if I want to go with windows 7 ultimate or windows 8 pro on my new desktop I plan on building, but I still got about 2 months to make up my mind. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Win7 HP ram limit is 16GB lol. Pro, enterprise, and ultimate can take 192GB

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

I won't be going over 16gb considering it's itx so I saved a few bucks

I got windows home premium and 16 gigs of ram on my laptop so I know it will work just fine. Still up in there air if I want to go with windows 7 ultimate or windows 8 pro on my new desktop I plan on building, but I still got about 2 months to make up my mind. 

I just love windows 7 so much I went with it lol

I just love windows 7 so much I went with it lol

hopefully soon the cost of an operating system will be $0 because we will be able to just run something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint or some other variation and enjoy our games just like we do on Windows now.

hopefully soon the cost of an operating system will be $0 because we will be able to just run something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint or some other variation and enjoy our games just like we do on Windows now.

oh that will be the day!

oh that will be the day!

go valve go! they will be the ones to really push developers into supporting linux OSes. i myself want to make a small indie game just for grins and giggles. and the first platform i want to launch to is Linux. Either Ubuntu or SteamOS.

What are you guys talking about?

1- You can re-install Windows 8 OEM as many time as you want no problem. If your re-install are close from your install, a phone activation might be required, but that takes 2min to do, although I doubt it it will even happen.

2- RAM limit for: Windows 8 is 128GB, and Pro 8 is 512GB! (assuming 64-bit Windows of course) I doubt you are close to either limit.

3- Windows 7 Home Premium, will indeed allow 16GB of RAM. That is it's limit of that edition.

4- rockking1379 what you are saying about gaming on Linux has been said since 1998. Never happened. Linux based OS has too many issues and limitations to be an OS to consider for most consumers. And it's lack of any level of polish or focus at the upper layer of the OS makes it hard to even consider it as a main OS for most. Oh noes i said something bad about Linux, quick I am a fanboy. No. I already did my short list of what Linux based OS, on what I believe, needs to be improved, indicating that I have used Linux based OS, that I know what I am talking about. I support Linux and O don't want them to disappear. Competition is good. But Windows, is something you pay, and you get your money worth, including fast support for bugs and security issues on a weekly basis. You don't have that kind of speed with Linux based OS. You'll always going to have the best games, best visuals, best experience, best hardware support on Windows for at least many many years to come.

I wish you the best of luck for your game. But I am telling you, Linux has no Visual Studio like software or anything even remotely close to it, and nearly all AMD and Nvidia dev tools are for Windows and Visual Studio.

I won't be going over 16gb considering it's itx so I saved a few bucks

So far I have only managed to use about 11 gigs of ram at one time, still had a little cushion. When I do my desktop i am starting with 16 gigs until I run into a need for more or just decided to put in more.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

OEM OS is bound to motherboard, not to HDD, CPU or any other "addon". OEMs bought from store and not "connected" to prebuilt machines will most likely work on new mobo also. If not its like @GoodBytes said just about the phone activation.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you accept to the personal use license agreement (Windows 8.x only), you can now transfer the license to another motherboard.

All you have to do, is agree at this license agreement: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=zI6ThVzo0Aa

Of course, the above ONLY applies for teh OEM license you purchase at a retailer, and not what comes with a Dell, HP, Lenovo systems. Those are locked down to the motherboard, with the product key stored on the BIOS setup chip.

If you accept to the personal use license agreement (Windows 8.x only), you can now transfer the license to another motherboard.

All you have to do, is agree at this license agreement: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=zI6ThVzo0Aa

Of course, the above ONLY applies for teh OEM license you purchase at a retailer, and not what comes with a Dell, HP, Lenovo systems. Those are locked down to the motherboard, with the product key stored on the BIOS setup chip.

So if I understand correctly, I have OEM windows 8 CD and I just changed my mother board (already activated by phone call) I can clean install to my new SSD (coming today) and it will still work?

What are you guys talking about?

2- RAM limit for: Windows 8 is 128GB, and Pro 8 is 512GB! (assuming 64-bit Windows of course) I doubt you are close to either limit.

I wish you the best of luck for your game. But I am telling you, Linux has no Visual Studio like software or anything even remotely close to it, and nearly all AMD and Nvidia dev tools are for Windows and Visual Studio.

Find me a single motherboard that is easy to acquire that can accept 512GB and I'll bake you some cookies. (not trolling here; seriously, I want to know if one exists which isn't server-grade)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)